Budget 41-50k Gaming CPU for 50- 60k

For intense gaming which Processor you would choose?

• Total voters

sriharsha

Disciple
Hello All,

After reading the similar threads and with the suggestion of the section member I am creating this new thread for my first pay CPU. Most of the rig I will buying it from Bangalore (or Amazon.in or say you all suggest). I will be taking this system in the first week of Jan, 2015. Kindly give your valuable inputs for this gaming CPU. All your thought will be appreciated :) .

1. What is your budget?
    • 50K (can stretch up to 60K max)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • N/A. Having Dell XPS l502x model laptop. But I can no longer play the games due to the problem (apparently, I don’t know/ understand) with Nvidia GPU (It doesn’t get detected at times).
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Sony LED TV 24 inches TV ~ Monitor (Is this a good idea?)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i5 4690 Or AMD Fx 8530 ( I Understand, AMD Fx series is good choice for gaming and multi core threaded programmes. It will be great if you can enlighten me on which one should I go with: Intel or AMD)
    • Motherboard - That suits CPU. Planning to have 5.1 DD sound installed.
    • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB (will be adding 2x4 GB soon. can't afford at this moment)
    • GPU - Sapphire R9 270x DDR5 2GB (Honestly No idea!. GPU should support intense gaming and 3D rendering for at least next 5 years)
    • PSU - suggest please. May consider cross firing in distant future.
    • Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
    • HDD - 1 TB capacity and 60GB SSD.
    • Cabinet - NZXT guardian 921- Black and Blue.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes.
    • SSD 60GB?
    • RAM - 2X4GB
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mysore/ Bangalore. Shop suggestions are welcome.
    • Open to online purchase but will that be wise? Can anyone vouch for Golcha IT and similar shops in SP Road, Bangalore?
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • May Consider.
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Intense gaming with high settings. (Want to run Skyrim with at least 30 mods)
    • Watching HD movies. A lot of it.
    • 3D rendering/ digital art
    • Browsing and Downloading
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • As said, Not a fan boy. But I really don’t understand the bang for buck between AMD and Intel, Nvidia and AMD etc. Longevity is what I am looking for.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS - AC 5, BF 4, DA Inquisition, FC 4 etc
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. Gaming - 1920x1080 and above

2. Desktop - 1920x1080

12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No but if it is really worth it then maybe yes. can someone please enlighten me on this.
13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
I'll be keeping this rig for at least next 5 years. Thanks in advance. I also acknowledge bssunil and dark angel for their earlier inputs.

Many thanks.

Truly,
Harsha.

I will prefer Intel based Core i5 4690 15.9k
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX 8.5k
GPU for 5 years Consider a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 29.8k or Zotac GTx 970 Amp Omega edition 32.8k
Cut down the money spend on the Case as your selected one is 13.5k save 7k by opting for a Corsair carbide 400R 6.5k
128 GB like samsung 840 evo 4.6k (buy latter & save for GTX 970 )
Seasonic M12II 620 6.7k
You can buy online as all components will be easily available at better prices.
Sony 24 inch TV is good idea but I think resolution is 1366*768 is (720p) so not Full HD(1080p)
If you are planning to get a Full HD or UHD monitor in the future then only consider a GTX 970 or else R9 270x will be more than enough for 720p

Regards
JJ

Dear JJ, thanks for the update. here are few doubts. Wont 6o gb of SSD enough for running the OS alone? further, when i connect dell xps laptop to tv, there is select the resolution upto 1980 X 1080. Doest that mean it is ready for 1080? Instead of AMD Rad, How is GTX 770 Ti? Do you have any idea about golcha IT? Regarding HDD, which one shall I take?
Inputs are acknowledged.[DOUBLEPOST=1418307649][/DOUBLEPOST]
If its a gaming only build, close your eyes and get the AMD.

AMJ, that was the idea, to save money on a proccy and invest in a good GPU. Is it a good idea? How to balance GPU and CPU. Thanks.

True,
They're both pretty similar CPUs TBH.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-FX-8350

It all depends on how much of a concern that electricity bill is.
that was a good website. Electricity is one thing. But 5K difference between the processors should be sufficient to cover the electricity bills right?
What is your suggestion? Apart from the bills, what is the usual longevity and RMA of AMD?

Again, I read somewhere, about the DDR 4 RAM debut in Jan'15. Is it wise to wait?

You want Intense Gaming (GPU intensive) and 3D rendering (CPU+GPU intensive based on which software you use). It seems to me that you have to focus on both the CPU and the GPU. Do define what you mean by "intense". If you are going to be working professionally on producing 3D content using this machine then gaming will have to take the back bench. A 270X is a nice GPU but 5 years is too much. Even current generation of AAA titles won't be smooth on a 270X during an intensive scenario so 2 years down the line you'll have to switch off all eye candy just to get a decent FPS. 5 years would push the budget way above 1 lakh so you really need to prioritise what you want to do with this machine, play or 3D rendering.

You want Intense Gaming (GPU intensive) and 3D rendering (CPU+GPU intensive based on which software you use). It seems to me that you have to focus on both the CPU and the GPU. Do define what you mean by "intense". If you are going to be working professionally on producing 3D content using this machine then gaming will have to take the back bench. A 270X is a nice GPU but 5 years is too much. Even current generation of AAA titles won't be smooth on a 270X during an intensive scenario so 2 years down the line you'll have to switch off all eye candy just to get a decent FPS. 5 years would push the budget way above 1 lakh so you really need to prioritise what you want to do with this machine, play or 3D rendering.

This is a brilliant answer. I do understand, pushing it far more than 5 years means I will be needing a budget more that 1 L. Now that DDR4 has already come, means DDR3 will be history soon. What is your opinion?

Intense gaming means, gaming at ultra high resolutions for at a stretch of 6-9 hours.

What will be my options after 2-3 years to still retain the eye candyness?

Thanks.

You can check out this link for the price difference between ddr3 & ddr4
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MPIE7FE/ref=psdc_172500_t1_B00MPIEDZ8

On the electricity bill front I will say if you run it for only 2 or 3 hours a day then amd fx 8350 is absolutely OK but if you use it for 4 to 8 hours a day then going with Intel is best
Regards
JJ

I guess, I can stretch it to Intel based board. Any idea, that should I have to wait for inter I5 5th gen or shall I go ahead with 4th gen? Yet again, I read somewhere, 1150 is reaching its end?? is it true?

You can Go ahead with 4th gen as 5th gen will release lately & normally Intel CPU's every year add only 10-15 % performance extra & launch pricing will also be little higher too, So If you are getting a 4690 then don't worry at all it will be performing very good for 3-4 years.

Regards
JJ

suppose if there is a math competetion and intel sends 4 guys with calculators where as amd sends 8 guys.
now coming to other factors... Intel are extremely energy efficient so they run cool and use less power where as amd uses more power.

So if you want to build an overclocking rig with no regard to the nature and global warming, I suggest you go for AMD, otherwise want a download rig kind of setup, go for intel.

most important point... dont substitute a tv for a monitor. I ruined my eyesight doing that. tvs are not meant to be used at a close distance. just buy a good monitor.

and, finally... while making a decision on buying stuff. dont get fooled by LEDs.

suppose if there is a math competetion and intel sends 4 guys with calculators where as amd sends 8 guys.
now coming to other factors... Intel are extremely energy efficient so they run cool and use less power where as amd uses more power.

So if you want to build an overclocking rig with no regard to the nature and global warming, I suggest you go for AMD, otherwise want a download rig kind of setup, go for intel.

most important point... dont substitute a tv for a monitor. I ruined my eyesight doing that. tvs are not meant to be used at a close distance. just buy a good monitor.

and, finally... while making a decision on buying stuff. dont get fooled by LEDs.

That was amazing! Thank you, Monitor? Hmm, I will sure take your advice. Yes, I regard for Nature so I may probably go with Intel. I never knew LEDs can be dangerous >_< .

Thank you for your opinion.[DOUBLEPOST=1418721960][/DOUBLEPOST]
OK that's Great BTW which GPU you have chosen finally ?
It's My Pleasure
Regards
JJ

No JJ, being a med, I am very naive in this section. Hence I need your opinions. So can I have a safe bet with I5 4690 for next 5 years?.

On lighter side, Who won the math(game) competition?[DOUBLEPOST=1418789854][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi all,

On amazon there was this offer which I would like to bring to your kind notice. http://www.amazon.in/GTX760-DC2OC-2...e=UTF8&qid=1418751534&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+770

But then, I am now confused... On gpuboss, gtx 680 performs > gtx 760... What is going on.

Kindly enlighten me on this. Many thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1418790232][/DOUBLEPOST]And, look at this snapdeal offers on Zotac GPUs. Are they even true??

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/zotac-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970/1972009682

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/zotac-geforce-gtx-750-ti/1725990282 (this is crazy 70% off) TE gurus, please let me know what to so.

Last edited:
The i5 4690k should last atleast 3-4 years from now. Most of the youtubers and other review sites like tomshardware recommend nothing more than an i5 4690k when it comes to gaming. Even there are some benchmark results for gaming where the 4 core i5 4690k outperforms an i7.
If you want to consider AMD... Then I wouldn't say that it will not give you good performance. They give the best price to performance ratio. But most of the AMD processors currently in the market are a bit outdated. Hence you should consider the latest products only as you need them to last 4-5 years more. The i5 4690k was released this year only.
Things like temperatures, power consumption and gaming performance are all in favor of Intel. The most important fact about intel processors is that they can reach around 100C and yet continue to give same performance and no throttling. But AMD CPUs can never operate similarly around that temperatures.

Coming to the GPU... Don't go cheap on the GPU even if you decide to get a cheaper processor. GPU is the main component which will decide your gaming experience. Get the latest series from either nvidia/amd.
The gtx970 looks like something suited for your requirement.

Also a bit of info about SP road... Don't go there on a Sunday... All dealers would be closed and only a few shops would be open but they can't provide you with the premium components since the dealers are closed on Sundays... I did that mistake... :D
But what I experienced was online prices are almost in comparable to the prices you would get there. The only benefit of purchasing locally is that you can get the components instantly and not have to wait for delivery...

Hello,

Thank you for the inputs. Here is what I plan to take...

Procy - i5 -4690 or I e3??
Motherboard- Please suggest vfm z97 board
Ram- 8 gb (ripjaw) - will upgrade to 16 in future.
GPU- zotac geforce gtx 970 (26.5k ~ 5 years warranty) - [or should I choose Asus strix for 27k?]
PSU- seasonic 620
Cabinet- Corsair Carbide 400R (??)
SSD- intel 60gb -2.5k
HDD- 1TB WD blue.
Keyboard and Mouse - please suggest.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back