Budget 90k+ Future Proof PC for Home/Office

pride1760

Recruit
Hi,

I need a simple PC for my home-office. I will use it for browsing the web, watching full HD movies, working on spreadsheets, etc...

I have selected a few components but I don't know if they are compatible. Also, I will happily consider other components recommended here.

Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • Upto 1.5 lacs
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None. It is a new build.
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None.
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 i5-4690 (BX80646I54690) Processor
    • Motherboard - ASRock Z87E-ITX -- Or -- Gigabyte LGA 1150 H97 Wi-Fi Bluetooth HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard GA-H97N-WIFI
    • GPU - Not required.
    • PSU - Corsair HXi Series HX750i 750W 80 Plus Platinum Certified High-Performance ATX Power Supply
    • Cooler: Corsair H100i Cooler
    • SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7KE256BW)
    • RAM: G.skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400MHz Desktop RAM (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)
    • Cabinet: Lian LI PC-V355 Mini Tower Chassis - Black -- Or -- Corsair Obsidian Series 250D Mini ITX PC Case
    • Keyboard: Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • This will be my final configuration for the next 3yrs.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • New Delhi
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No preference.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No games
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1920x1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
-------------------------------------------
Thanks

Last edited:
That's a lot of computing power for a simple home-office pc. but then again you have a large budget and want a long lasting pc.
however, if your needs were only browsing+movies then perhaps allot more funds towards a larger monitor and speakers maybe? otherwise the above spec is fine. if your not going to be adding a powerful high-end video card later on you can use a seasonic s12ii 520w smps instead of the corsair hx.

You are correct, it does seem a little excessive for my current needs. However, I was thinking that if 6months of 1year later, I feel like adding a decent GPU, then I should be able to do so without making any other changes.

Still, I think the RAM that I have chosen is too costly and I am not sure if 2400MHz will be any better than 1866MHz. Also, I will change the PSU from HX750i to RM550. I hope it will be sufficient.

So these are the components that are confirmed. I am not sure about the motherboard.

• GPU - Not required.
  • PSU - Corsair RM Series RM550 550W 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully Modular Power Supply
  • RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Desktop RAM (Corsair Vengeance or G.skill Ripjaws)
  • Cabinet: Corsair Obsidian Series 250D Mini ITX PC Case
I have no idea which ITX motherboard (available in India) will go with these components. Please help!

I was thinking that if 6months of 1year later, I feel like adding a decent GPU, then I should be able to do so without making any other changes.
In that case, then what you have selected is perfect.
w.r.t. memory - higher speed memory seems to only provide benefits if you're running memory intensive programs (or a server). the performance jump even in gaming is quite limited so i don't think paying 30-40% more seems worth it.
a 500w+ psu is also a good call, however, there was another TE member who had a terrible warranty experience with corsair.
BTW, i would still recommend seasonic even if corsair after sales were good because of seasonic's quality of internal components.
I'm not familiar with mb's so i don't know any to recommend, sorry.

• CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1246 v3 -21800,
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI -14500,
  • GPU: Zotac GTX960 2GB -18000,
  • PSU: Seasonic SS650KM3 650w -9000,
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i Cooler -8000,
  • SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD -18200,
  • HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB -6000,
  • Monitor: Dell S2740L LED IPS -30000,
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600MHz -9500,
  • Cabinet: Corsair 250D Mini ITX PC Case -7000,
  • Keyboard: Logitech G510 Keyboard -6300,
  • Mouse: Logitech G302 Mouse -1800.
  • TOTAL - Rs.1,50,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1246 v3 -21800,
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI -14500,
  • GPU: Zotac GTX960 2GB -18000,
  • PSU: Seasonic SS650KM3 650w -9000,
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i Cooler -8000,
  • SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD -18200,
  • HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB -6000,
  • Monitor: Dell S2740L LED IPS -30000,
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600MHz -9500,
  • Cabinet: Corsair 250D Mini ITX PC Case -7000,
  • Keyboard: Logitech G510 Keyboard -6300,
  • Mouse: Logitech G302 Mouse -1800.
  • TOTAL - Rs.1,50,000.

Thanks for your suggestions. However, there a few things that I want to change.
First, I don't need a dedicated GPU. So I can't use Xeon. Also, SSD is sufficient for me, I don't need a separate HDD or gaming keyboard/mouse.

Regarding RAM, which one would you rate highest out of Corsair, G.skill, Crucial and Kingston?
The main parameters for me would be durability and good after sales support.

I see that Seasonic gets recommended a lot on this forum compared to Corsair for PSU. So I too will stick with Seasonic.

• GPU - Not required.
  • PSU - Seasonic G Series 550W 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply (SSR-550RM)
  • RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Desktop RAM (Corsair Vengeance or G.skill Ripjaws)
  • Cabinet: Corsair Obsidian Series 250D Mini ITX PC Case
Still not sure about the motherboard.

Last edited:
budget 90k-1.5L
90 lacs for SoHo PC. I hope that you are not trolling?
Just get a fast Intel quad core, a good PSU, very good monitor and buy lots of hard drives and run them in RAID 10.

90 lacs for SoHo PC. I hope that you are not trolling?
Just get a fast Intel quad core, a good PSU, very good monitor and buy lots of hard drives and run them in RAID 10.

which monitor would you suggest? I think 24" is fine for my use. I won't be playing games so response times, 3d etc.. don't matter. But I want good clarity because most of the time I use my retina MBP and I don't want the new monitor to be a huge downgrade from the retina.

Thanks

which monitor would you suggest? I think 24" is fine for my use. I won't be playing games so response times, 3d etc.. don't matter. But I want good clarity because most of the time I use my retina MBP and I don't want the new monitor to be a huge downgrade from the retina.

Thanks
My man, a good monitor doesn't always mean a "gaming" monitor. People use it for many other non-gaming purposes and especially the best ones which are also used by professional digital and graphics artists where color-production and accuracy are of the utmost importance. Having said that I'm also not good with displays. There are also other non-mainstream brands which you'll need to import if you like. I don't know the product models but I heard they are worth the money spent.
Anyway a small Google search and we have:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-24-inch-monitor/
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/top-best-computer-monitors,3917.html
www.pcmag.com also has a comparison article. I'm unable to get the link.

Google it and read the reviews.

Last edited:
So this is the final configuration along with the lowest online prices for each component. I'll go to Nehru Place to check if I can get stuff cheaper otherwise I will buy online.

• CPU - Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 i5-4690K Processor - Rs. 16,270 ( Snapdeal)
  • GPU - Not required.
  • PSU - Seasonic 650W Power Supply 80+ Gold (SS-650KM III) - Rs. 8100 (ebay)
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i Cooler - Rs. 7,826 ( ebay)
  • SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7KE256BW) - Rs. 12,499 ( Amazon)
  • RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Desktop RAM (Corsair Vengeance Pro) - Rs. 12,887 (ebay)
  • Cabinet: Corsair Obsidian Series 250D Mini ITX PC Case - Rs. 6,300 (theitwares)
This is the motherboard that I have tentatively selected (I am looking for a better one)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI 32GB DDR3 Intel Motherboard - Rs. 10,150 (theitdepot)

Can someone please let me know if any of these motherboards are available in India along with the approximate price?

1. ASUS MAXIMUS VII IMPACT LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
2. ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
3. ASUS Z97I-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Last edited:
For the Mobo you can with MSI Z97I AC (Mini ITX) -http://www.theitdepot.com/details-MSI Z97I AC 16GB DDR3 Intel Motherboard_P22704.html

http://hardwire.in/motherboards/1703-msi-z97i-ac-mini-itx-mainboard.html

Good config below and add the specified Mobo. You will have a very stable PC.
  • CPU - Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 i5-4690K Processor - Rs. 16,270 ( Snapdeal)
  • PSU - Seasonic 650W Power Supply 80+ Gold (SS-650KM III) - Rs. 8100 (ebay)
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i Cooler - Rs. 7,826 ( ebay)
  • SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7KE256BW) - Rs. 12,499 ( Amazon)
  • RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Desktop RAM (Corsair Vengeance Pro) - Rs. 12,887 (ebay)
  • Cabinet: Corsair Obsidian Series 250D Mini ITX PC Case - Rs. 6,300 (theitwares.com)
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97I AC -Rs. 10300 (theitdepot.com/hardwire.in)
  • Total - Rs.74,300.

Thanks for the motherboard suggestion @bssunil

I have two questions before I go ahead with the purchase:

1. Should I get a GPU just in case it is required? I won't play any games or do any video editing etc..
So will there be any benefit if I get a simple one like these:
MSI NVIDIA NVIDIA N740-2GD5 (GeForce GT 740) GDDR5 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Asus NVIDIA GTX650-E-2GD5 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

2. Will Vengeance Pro RAM fit in the mini-ITX Corsair 250D case? Or should I get low profile RAM?

Thanks!

Thanks for the motherboard suggestion @bssunil

I have two questions before I go ahead with the purchase:

1. Should I get a GPU just in case it is required? I won't play any games or do any video editing etc..
So will there be any benefit if I get a simple one like these:
MSI NVIDIA NVIDIA N740-2GD5 (GeForce GT 740) GDDR5 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Asus NVIDIA GTX650-E-2GD5 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

2. Will Vengeance Pro RAM fit in the mini-ITX Corsair 250D case? Or should I get low profile RAM?

Thanks!
1. no
2. yes. only thing which should pose a problem is if the CPU cooler blocks the RAM slots. I'd rather get the HyperX Fury personally.

Can someone please let me know if any of these
motherboards are available in India along with the
approximate price?
@pride1760 contact their sales team through email online. You'll get more reliable answers and may be more swift too.

getting a gpu will only improve gaming performance which is the one thing you said you wont be doing.
You wont need liquid cooling even if it's a mini-itx setup because a) the cpu is pretty cool b) you're not overclocking and c) the cabinet you've selected has good airflow.

1. no
2. yes. only thing which should pose a problem is if the CPU cooler blocks the RAM slots. I'd rather get the HyperX Fury personally.

@pride1760 contact their sales team through email online. You'll get more reliable answers and may be more swift too.

ok. I'll try to find some more details about HyperX Fury. Thanks for the suggestion!

Is it available in India? I asked in a few shops and they had never heard of it.
not sure if it is available here. It's on ebay GEB for around Rs.4000 though.

Also, this is the monitor I have selected: Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Please let me know if it is ok or if there is any better option available. Thanks

I went to Nehru Place yesterday and took quotations from Computer Empire, SMC International and Cost to Cost.

Out of the 8 components that I needed, 7 are available cheaper online. The 8th component was the 4690K processor which was available for Rs.500 less than the cheapest online option.

However, all of the shops refused to sell just the processor to me. They will sell it only if I buy a motherboard from them. Seems like Nehru Place is a complete waste of time. This was my last visit and I will never go there again. The place is seedy, dirty and even their prices aren't competitive.

Finally, I have bought the following:

• CPU - Intel 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 i5-4690K Processor - Rs. 15,776 from Snapdeal
  • Motherboard - Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac Motherboard - Rs. 12,499 from Primeabgb.com
  • PSU - Seasonic 650W Power Supply 80+ Gold (SS-650KM III) - Rs. 8,099 from ebay
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i Cooler - Rs. 7,411 from Snapdeal
  • SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7KE256BW) - Rs. 11,356 from Snapdeal
  • RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Desktop RAM (Corsair Vengeance Pro) - Rs. 12,876 from ebay
  • Cabinet: Corsair Obsidian Series 250D Mini ITX PC Case - Rs. 6,400 from Snapdeal
I think I saved around Rs.3500 compared to Nehru Place prices.

I haven't decided the monitor yet. Maybe I'll go with Dell u2412m or u2414h. On US sites, both monitors have just a $10 price difference, but in India u2412m is cheaper by Rs. 5000 compared to u2414h. Does anyone know why?

u2412m is available on flipkart for Rs. 16,900. Computer Empire is selling it for Rs. 17,500 and Cost to Cost for Rs. 18,000. I wonder who buys stuff from them anymore.

Last edited:
I went to Nehru Place yesterday and took quotations from Computer Empire, SMC International and Cost to Cost.

Out of the 8 components that I needed, 7 are available cheaper online. The 8th component was the 4690K processor which was available for Rs.500 less than the cheapest online option.

However, all of the shops refused to sell just the processor to me. They will sell it only if I buy a motherboard from them. Seems like Nehru Place is a complete waste of time. This was my last visit and I will never go there again. The place is seedy, dirty and even their prices aren't competitive.

I went to Nehru Place yesterday and took
quotations from Computer Empire, SMC
International and Cost to Cost.
I also went to Nehru Place yesterday and dropped by SMC and Empire. Avoid Cost 2 Cost at ALL cost! No matter at how cheap you get the components for. When you go to NP there are three shops which you should always visit: SMC, CE and Vipin.
However, all of the shops refused to sell just
the processor to me. They will sell it only if I
buy a motherboard from them.
I'm a regular visitor to the place and I've also bought many systems for others. I've been doing it for many years now. I've never encountered this till now. First time I'm hearing of it.
Nehru Place is a complete waste of time. This
was my last visit and I will never go there
again. The place is seedy, dirty and even their
prices aren't competitive. I predict that all
these shops will shut down within 5yrs.
I don't think that it was a waste of time. Just because you didn't like the price doesn't make it so. Yes I love that place leaving all non-sales issue aside. Also not to forget online sellers can screw you and also the fact that you can't have everything delivered in one day. There are also products in which I've got better deals in NP than online. They cannot really offer "competitive pricing" on everything because being physically located their expenses are much higher than online sellers just fyi.
Also when you want to see a product personally before purchase they help.
And so no, it will NEVER shut down in 5 years lol. Trust me. I want you to go see it in 5 years and see if the market is dead or not.

I don't think that it was a waste of time. Just because you didn't like the price doesn't make it so. Yes I love that place leaving all non-sales issue aside. Also not to forget online sellers can screw you and also the fact that you can't have everything delivered in one day. There are also products in which I've got better deals in NP than online. They cannot really offer "competitive pricing" on everything because being physically located their expenses are much higher than online sellers just fyi.

Apart from quoting high prices, it was funny how none of the shops had most of the components that I needed.
SMC and CE had just 1 Mini-ITX motherboard available. Cost to Cost had no m-ITX board.
None of them had 2x8GB 1866MHz RAM kit of ANY brand. None of them had Corsair 250D cabinet either.

The next time you go, please ask them if they will sell a processor without a motherboard. CE, SMC and C2C outrightly refused. It was really frustrating.

I didn't like the prices, I didn't like the ambience and they didn't even have stuff in stock. These three parameters are what matter most. So...yes, it was a waste of time.

The online sellers on snapdeal and ebay are primeabgb, theitdepot etc... which are pretty reliable. I placed my order last night and half of the stuff is already shipped.

Back