FTTH and double NAT

rajil.s

Adept
Hello,

I came across this video about BSNL FTTH where the user has to specify PPPoE details in the GPON ONU device. If you want to use your own powerful router along with BSNL GPON ONU, you could end-up in a double NAT situation.

I am curious whether this situation is only with BSNL or other ISP's too. It would nice if ISPs let users use their own ONU devices, so something like Pfsense can be used straightaway with the fiber connection.

Do GPON ONT/ONU devices provide a bridge mode?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,

I came across this video about BSNL FTTH where the user has to specify PPPoE details in the GPON ONU device. If you want to use your own powerful router along with BSNL GPON ONU, you could end-up in a double NAT situation.

I am curious whether this situation is only with BSNL or other ISP's too. It would nice if ISPs let users use their own ONU devices, so something like Pfsense can be used straightaway with the fiber connection.

Thanks

The ONU or ONT can be used in bridge mode and we are using in that way. Our OLT brand is optronix and we are using various onu brands such as Optronix, kingtype sharp etc in bridge mode successfully. I can help you with your queries.

Hello,

Thanks

Yes, they do. We had ONUs which provide routing and others are in pure bridge mode. As to how its being done - you need to speak to your ISP.

Exactly i woukd set it up in bridge mode, i don't know why the guy who made the video didn't do that. It seemed odd to see the connection from the modem going to an ethernet port on the wifi router instead of the dsl port. He lost a port for nothing. He is depending on the firewall on the mdem which will be low quality then again his wifi router wasn't exactly any better.

Exactly i woukd set it up in bridge mode, i don't know why the guy who made the video didn't do that. It seemed odd to see the connection from the modem going to an ethernet port on the wifi router instead of the dsl port. He lost a port for nothing. He is depending on the firewall on the mdem which will be low quality then again his wifi router wasn't exactly any better.

it is connected via LAN instead of DSL port because it is FTTH connection and NOT ADSL.

WAN port which is DSL one
i believe WAN port is generally RJ45.
and DSL is a phone jack = RJ11.[DOUBLEPOST=1521438217][/DOUBLEPOST]
31dArhc-9JL.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1521438574][/DOUBLEPOST]RJ 11 ports on FTTH modems are voice only.
RJ45 / LAn is used for data transmission.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're right, watched the video again and realise now this is an ADSL router and that dsl port is an RJ-11 not rj-45 :)

I never buy routers like that mine all need an external modem

Back