Fraud transaction on Credit Card on PayPal

Third party breach where the deficiency lies neither with the bank nor with the customer but lies elsewhere in the system, and the customer notifies the bank within three working days of receiving the communication from the bank regarding the unauthorised transaction.

Did you do this? did you raise complaint with paypal?[DOUBLEPOST=1510826475][/DOUBLEPOST]what exactly was the charge?

I have notified the bank the moment the received the SMS. I raised dispute on 2nd September and my card was charged on 31 August.

Paypal said they can't help as my credit card was charged. They asked me to contact bank and bank is saying the charge is legitimate.

My card was charged for around Rs 27k.

where was the charge initiated? what was your location when charge was done? (Im assuming your card is canceled? its compromised and you must deactivate it/replace it)

It was initiated on PayPal in Singapore I guess as my card was charged in SGD. I was in India. Yes, that card was deactivated and was replaced with new card.

It was initiated on PayPal in Singapore I guess as my card was charged in SGD. I was in India. Yes, that card was deactivated and was replaced with new card.
wtf. I called up my friend working in oriental bank and he said its an open and shut case. which shitty bank are you using? and dont stop until you get your money back

Well it was a RBL Bank card which I am not using actively (got it as my company tied up with them). The bank has sent me the charge back response which they got from Mastercard. They have asked me to provide more reasons/evidences to support my case.

The chargeback report contains a non-existant billing address and it doesn't matches my credit card billing address. Also the biller details are incomplete, just name and email address. No details about product/services he offered, no tracking number and tracking status. Also they mentioned that AVS was successful to reject my claim, however in their report it self it's mentioned that AVS is not available for this transaction.

I have sent all details and have asked for proof of delivery of goods/services in leu of my transaction. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Dang, do let us know about this turns out. Was planning to get a RBL card, now I will skip it if this is what its going to be like.

Well it was a RBL Bank card which I am not using actively (got it as my company tied up with them). The bank has sent me the charge back response which they got from Mastercard. They have asked me to provide more reasons/evidences to support my case.

The chargeback report contains a non-existant billing address and it doesn't matches my credit card billing address. Also the biller details are incomplete, just name and email address. No details about product/services he offered, no tracking number and tracking status. Also they mentioned that AVS was successful to reject my claim, however in their report it self it's mentioned that AVS is not available for this transaction.

I have sent all details and have asked for proof of delivery of goods/services in leu of my transaction. Keeping my fingers crossed.
You have an solid case. Actually there's absolutely no chance of losing money. Keep at it. Escalate it to ombudsman if necessary

Here's an nice article about credit card fraud and how to fight it.

what happened to ip address proof? doesn't paypal send an email saying you bought such stuff using such and such ip address?

Yes, the IP belongs to Dehradun, Uttrakhand. It seems the scammer has used proxy server/tor. I have sent them a detailed email pointing out all these points. Let's see how it turns out.

Well to clarify, it wasn't my Paypal account which was used. My card by used by someone else on their PayPal account. Below is an excerpt from charge back report.

vOoe17v.png

Yes, and the billing and shipping address are non-existant and they are different from the one which I have on my card. I'll keep on following up this case.

You will get your money back, 3 years ago i used my citi credit card to buy books from a store and next day my card was used to buy plane tickets of around $1k.
I called them instantly and they resolved my issue within a week.
Its just that your greedy bank is being an ass.

It's impossible to use your credit/debit card on PayPal without the verification code PayPal send to your cell phone number registered with your bank when you link your card with them. How the guy who used got that.

Back