Car & Bike Formula 1 2016 Discussion thread

prabs

Skilled
@Renegade , @rdst_1 , @bottle ,@Obi-Wan , @soggy316 ,@onlyravi , @hotshot05 , @sbhas2k , @Fenix ,@aZZu ,@Arjun ,@Crazy_Eddy, @dingodile_r89, @Sudarshan_SMD, @latino_ansari, @vishalrao, @Jakob, @xtremevicky, @su30mki117, @derp

Finally some action instead of idle just news from the world of F1.

Redbull have revealed their new livery - Source

A few things have changed which were rumored earlier but not really expected viz., Maldonado being replaced by Kevin and Stevens being replaced by Wehrlein.

Team wise a few things have changed most notable change of course is the addition of Haas.
Toro Rosso have switched to Ferrari engines
Red Bull cried wolf too many times and are now stuck with Renault
Manor have switched to Mercedes engines and I suppose Pascal was probably part of the deal and may be manor will serve as B Team for Mercedes
It is speculated that Force India might be rebranded as Aston Martin
Lotus is now Renault and have switched engines to Renault from Mercedes which means Renault is back

So now we have 4 Works team
Mercedes (Engine + Chassis by Mercedes)
Ferrari (Engine + Chassis by Ferrari)
Renault (Engine + Chassis by Renault)
McLaren (Engine by Honda + Chassis by McLaren)

Red Bull is a big budget team but no longer a Works team as Renault will shift focus to their own team so they are on the same plane as Williams but with a much larger budget and a strategy team that makes way less errors and takes ballsy decisions compared to Williams.

A few things to look forward to this year is -
Can McLaren and Honda really sort out the issues and challenge Mercedes?
Renault was rumored to have saved the tokens till the end and they did introduce an engine near the end which was mostly a dud but I am not sure if it was the result of all tokens being used in that engine itself or they used some for that engine and the remaining a bit later with 2016 as the objective.
Ferrari was the most improved team last year. Question is can they match and beat the Mercedes
How will Haas perform in it's first year?
Will Sauber have to settle out of court and pay Sutil?
What if Toro Rosso out performs RBR?
When it comes to team mate battles the only 2 teams I am thinking about are Force India and Mercedes.

Hopefully we have a year where no one team is able to dominate or at least have 2 teams very close to each other at front.

P.S.: I was wondering if we should start a group on Whatsapp and discuss the race/qualifying live.

Lets hope that the gap between Mercedes and the other teams is closer this year. If that doesn't happen, it'll be another boring year.

If Ferrari does manage to challenge the Mercs, we'll have something interesting to look forward to.

Too bad crashnado is out - no more spectacular crashes any more. Also Pascal Wehrlein is a good driver. He deserves something better than a Manor-Marussia.

I am also hoping this season to be a lot different(unpredictable ) .... Fingers crossed.
The gap between Mercs and Ferrari's will definitely be lesser this year. Ferrari showed a lot of improvement in the last few races. Just hoping that this year is not a white wash by Mercs. If that happens I might not turn back to F1 for a couple of years.
With Maldonado out hopefully races will be slightly better.
So far not liking the dark color themes that teams are going with but I read that it might change by the first race.
Also read today that Sahara has approached Supreme Court of India for permission to pull out of Sahara Force India.
Good that Kevin Mag. will be on the grid again this year. Very promising driver.
A moment for the guys who put up the site : http://hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com/

You missed out the biggest news of all, Mclaren have partnered with Volvo with logistics.

Shivneri-Mclaren, although considering the McHonda's reliability , its more like a dilapidated ST bus that breaks down while climbing to Khandala

Last edited:
@soggy316 - Thanks for the news mate. I didn't know about this. Don't teams have logistical partners like DHL?

@rdst_1 - Hope F1 becomes interesting enough not just for you but also for everybody else here. Last year was not really exciting or interesting.

@Chaos & @onlyravi - We can only hope that teams are close and drivers even closer.

Good to know the heat is already started. Last year was boring, except a last few races where there was lil bit of competition in Merc.

1) Hope Rosberg carry over the momentum over Hamilton. This will definitely bring some solace to the boring race
2) Ferrari - It has been too long where they were competent. Will they turn it around this year?
3) Redbull - Horner seems to be hopeful this year. He is betting on the second half rather than the first. Riccardo is a guy to look at given a competitive car
4) Mclaren - Oh man!!! Honda partnership was utter failure so far. Even though they are with 2 Champions, nothing interesting from their side. Hope Alonso won't get frustrated here as well.

Let us hope for the Best. I am in for Whatsapp group :)

Force India and Aston Martin deal fell out long back, at least for the moment. FI will not be re-branded as Aston Martin F1 this year.

Not everything is looking rosy for Force India and it has been that way for a few years now. It is said that Sahara has approached Supreme Court so that they can pull out of the team. At present the only good thing going for them is their driver line up.

Oh, did not know about Sahara's SC approach to pull out from the team but I had read somewhere that they wanted to back off from sponsoring the team.

Alright a few reveals.

Ferrari revealed their cars on Friday. The livery now has a lot more white than it did before.

Haas F1 reveals their car -

McLaren and Mercedes released their car as well.

Mercedes doesn't look all that different from last year livery and neither does McLaren which is a shame because I hate the McLaren livery.

Cars that were revealed earlier - Williams and Renault

So far Renault looks the best of the bunch. No idea how they will perform.

I remember reading somewhere that Honda engine is having issues already but can't remember where or find the source. It was post the engine sound they posted. If anyone does find the link please post it here.

P.S.: Is it just me who when looks at the HAAS from the side is reminded of HRT? Hope it does better than the HRT

My twitter feed went crazy on early weekend after Haas revealed their car.
They are getting a pretty good response from the fraternity (atleast so far )
Lookwise its somewhat HRT with some additional duct tape.

If second tests' day 1 timings are any indication then Formula 1 is off my calendar for this year. Anyway will wait till Australia for the judgement on the season.

I guess the season is over despite the fact that the season is yet to start. As per Sky Sports Mercedes if faster than Ferrari their nearest rivals by 0.5 seconds on either compounds.

I didn't comment on last week or was not going to comment till the testing was over but I think the writing is on the wall.

Renault engine has either got worse or Honda at least caught up with them. Generally it is said that tests mean nothing but I think by the end of the tests we will know for sure that Mercedes have Constructors Trophy in the bag.

Not sure if Pirelli is bringing back the rapidly degrading tyres this year or the next. If the tyres provide similar characteristics to last year then there is no use watching F1 this year.
Just hope that Force India can continue delivering over the course of the year. And the other thing to watch will be McLarens progress (if any) through the field. Currently I do not expect much from Haas. But let's see.

And it begins[DOUBLEPOST=1458371467][/DOUBLEPOST]What a horrible joke of a system I am not sure what were they smoking when they came up with this brain fart.

I am glad the teams decided not to run as what was the point in running at all.

If this system is continued then we might as well skip qualifying because it becomes an odd lottery and with the front pecking order in place it will always give us predictable race leads and may be a jumbled grid at the back.

Absolutely disgusting.

Last edited:
That was a fun race. Kimi = Weber Confirmed. Demonic start by ferrari, and they kept up in terms of race pace, hopefully it stays that way the rest of the season. Nice to see Rosberg win. Alonsos crash was scary, the fact that he walked away from that with barely a scratch is amazing.

Major props to Grosjean/Haas for a brilliant 6th place debut! Wherlein also impressed by getting the Manor to 14th on merit before the pitstops jacked his strategy a little. Also Mad Max needs to whine a little less, he has the chops to do well, he just needs to buckle down and get the job done on the track.

Things really haven't changed at all. Mercedes are still on top.

Of course that is what you would think looking at the results and that is exactly how they are irrespective of the ray of hope we saw with Ferrari which the red flag and bad tyre choice ruined.

Glad to see Alonso walk off after the horrible crash.

If the Mercedes had got a good start there's no way Ferrari could've caught them and got past which is evident from the Vettel's second stint vs Rosberg's second stint in which despite the softer compound he couldn't get away from Nico and create a window for pitstop.

I am sure Kimi's engine got cooked because of the Red Flag and it really is sad to see him loose out for some or the other reason always at the start of the season which people don't realize later on when they see the points and discount him as an overrated driver.

I don't know what sort of deal Ferrari have with Haas that stipulated them to employ Esteban as the second driver. Forget the accident but he just isn't good enough to pull something off like Romain did. They should have brought Vergne back instead or someone better from lower Formulas.

Conclusions from first race -
Mercedes still at top
Kimi still a bad luck magnet
Haas is really good who got done in by stupid Qualifying rules
Max has more than an edge over Sainz
Williams have fallen behind
RedBull have made a solid car but don't have the engine
Renault engine is still far off the pace compared to Merc and Ferrari Engine
Honda engine is stable and makes McLaren a good mid field team so that radical approach and works engine to beat Mercedes strategy is now out of the window

Back