Car & Bike Formula 1 2015 Discussion thread

prabs

Skilled
@Renegade , @rdst_1 , @bottle ,@Obi-Wan , @soggy316 ,@onlyravi , @hotshot05 , @sbhas2k , @Fenix ,@aZZu ,@Arjun ,@Crazy_Eddy

The season has started. Time to wake up guys (literally as the race is at 10:20 AM) and crawl out of under the rock

Jist for those who need to catch up on what has happened
The WDC and WCC seems to predictable but behind them a lot has changed.
Ferrari seems to have caught up with Williams
Toro Rosso seems to be as good as Red Bull
Poor Alonso not just because of the concussion in fact he must be relieved that he doesn't have to race at Australia as McLaren and Honda have goofed up.
Sauber is in a fix for having 2 cars and 4 drivers (Yes Sutil too was in contention for 2015 seat and believed to have a contract)
The Mercedes engine seems to have helped Lotus move up the grid
Renault engines are horrible but have a large number of tokens to improve the engine so Red Bull and Toro Rosso might get ahead of Ferrari.
Mercedes too has a number of tokens in hand.
Ferrari might go backwards as the season goes on
Force India generally starts a bit ahead among the mid tier teams and then moves backward. This time it has started near the rear.

Note -
Bottas complained about lower back pain and might not participate in the race and will be confirmed in the morning

Haha.. Finally. I was hoping that nico would be on pole but Lewis made it. Hopefully the race would be interesting. Let's wait and watch

The mistake in q3. Did he crack under pressure or was it a mere lock up like Massa's only worse?

Stay tuned to find out...

Yeah I'm not getting HD4 on Videocon, so just paid for the star sports web stream :confused:[DOUBLEPOST=1426400301][/DOUBLEPOST]Mercs are running away again, hope this isn't another boring season :yuck:

Last edited:
by the looks of the Australian GP.... Mercs are atleast 1 full second faster in Qualifying and same translates to the race as well...
Ferrari and others have improved but this season as well Mercs will get away with all the goodies.
The action will be for 2nd position between redbull, ferrari, williams and maybe lotus down the season.

Poor Alonso and McLaren, looks like they will be at the tail end this season :D Though I heard some of the comments during the race that their engine was being run at some partial power so maybe they can improve later on.

Well it was a less than ideal start to the season due to several reasons:
  1. Vettel pushed Kimi out due to no fault of his own
  2. Nasr damaged Kimi's car floor
  3. Ferrari pitcrew messed up the left rear tyre
  4. Ferrari pitcrew f***** up the left rear tyre
  5. Pakistan won against Ireland
Other than that this season looks promising if you convince yourself that the F1 has decided to scrap first two podium positions and disqualified Mercedes from participating. The races and qualifying will now only have 3rd position and onwards for the teams and drivers to fight for. Occasionally there will be bonus rounds when the Position 2 and rarely when Position 1 will be unlocked for everyone to fight for.

Other positives: Good that Ferrari has finally found some speed and several fastest laps by Kimi showed that he is as usual better in races than in qualifying and is right up there thanks to Alonso exit and front end changes among other factors. Alonso for a change must be cursing himself.

Overall its a better season than last year. I hope I will end up watching at least 75% of each race compared to 10% race distance last year when thats all it took to find out the outcome of that race.

Merc was out of the TV frame except a few laps. They are on their own, i doubt whether anyone can close the gap

It was a funny word war battle between Nico & Vettel in the press conference. I seriously hope Nico should put his foot down and find a way to beat Hamilton. I am sure he can do it, just a few adjustments required. If Nico wins a few races in a row, it would put a tremendous pressure on the World Champion :)

Kimi, awesome as usual, but bad luck prevented him from doing anything serious. Hope he can come back strong.

Another bad year awaits Alonso, Hope Mclaren can close the gap.. Honda is HONDA ? Where is the power? Forget about Aero, Atleast they should be close to Renault if not Merc in Power. McLaren generally has a very quick development cycle, hope they can find a turnaround. Happy to see Button hanging around till the end, come on, atleast they received a good valuable data to analyse.

1. Renault are a mess. Quite sure they are poor than Mclaren.
2. Mercedes looks very very strong. It will be fight between Rosberg and Lewis for the title. Lewis will win it.
3. Ferrari look good. Vettle will add ruthlessness in the team but they are quite far behind Mercedes.

Will be a more or less a boring season.

Did anyone read the post race press conference ? There was a verbal spat between Rosberg and Vettel :)
Kind of funny.... Vettel rubbed Rosberg.

This season start was definitely better than last year though I am still not getting along with the engine sounds... Miss the old engine roars ...
Still feel that F1 is losing its charm. No proper testing. Season has started but cars not properly ready for the race. (I understand the improvement goes on for entire season but only handful cars finished without problems.)
Bad luck Bottas ... Ferrari looks good this year(touchwood) and Vettel is happy and confident...
Maldonado did what he does best.... Just like last year's Aus GP... Crash and out... :) When will this guy improve :D
Bad luck for Honda engines.... A tough and long way to catch up with the rest but with Honda we know they are very much capable....

Hopefully future races of the season will be more about track action and less of other non race issues.
Cheers for the new season....

Must Read: Aus GP 2015 Post Race Press Conference :)
njoy!!!

This might be a bit late but here we go -

Australian GP 2015

With Caterham gone we knew that the grid of 22 was down to 20.
With Manor not running on Saturday the grid of 20 was down to 18.
With Bottas's backache the grid of 18 was down to 17.
With Kevin's car catching fire on it's way to the starting grid, the grid of 17 was down to 16.
Immediately after Kvyat had to retire the grid of 16 was down to 15.

All of this even before the race started. Oh and one more thing -
Everyone knew that Team Mercedes is/was in a league of it's own so only 13 cars to watch in reality.

The race started and immediately the grid of 15 was down to 14 thanks to Pastor crashing out but due to no fault of his own.
Romain too had to retire so the grid of 14 was down to 13.

At this point I was wondering if watching cricket is a better option.

Kimi was now further behind than he wanted to or the Kimi fans wanted to but what we didn't know was this wasn't the only misfortune awaiting us.
At the front Lewis and Nico pulled away.
Perez overtook behind the safety car and had to fallback to the last position.
McLaren was underpowered thanks to engine reliability but that didn't stop Button from making Pererz's life difficult.
Kimi was the only one to go for a 2 stop pit stop as he was compromised behind the smiley emoticon with a red bull who got his wings from Nasr ahead of him.
Ferrari made a bungled stop but strong performance by Kimi brought him upto 5th and he created a buffer to 6th place. Pitted a second time and got royally screwed.
In the meantime Max Verstappen too retired. So the grid of 13 was down to 12.
With Kimi also retiring the grid of 12 was down to 11.
Vettel had won the pit stop battle by overcutting Massa. Ever since Pirelli started supplying tyres most pit stop battles are won by undercutting the competitor so this was nice to watch.
Erricson the only driver with more than 1 pit stop (3) took 8th as near the end he seemed to be the only aggressor.
Nasr did a fantastic job of holding back the smiley and finishing fifth.
McLaren ended up 11th the only car that finished without points.
The other guys are not even worth mentioning

In Short - A very dismal race with 11 cars finishing the race and 2 cars out of my consideration. The future of F1 looks sad. The only 2 positives though - Ferrari seem to have made progress in the car department and McLaren was running a turned down engine and ERS system had issues which means if Honda and McLaren fix this issue Mercedes might have a fight on their hands.

In 3 days time we have the Malaysian GP which is expected to be a wet race according to the weather forecast. Let's see how that turns out as rain in Malaysia is always heavy and after Jules's accident I don't think FIA would be very comfortable. Wet rain can be exciting but a very wet one will result in a red flag or delay or cruise behind safety car. So let's hope for something in between or a wet race.

On sunday there will be a tug of war between the CWC final and the Malaysia race. :(

Hope Force India has the money to finish the whole season. Their development work was hampered because of monetary issues!

Looks like cricket won't be a problem any more
Also the good thing this year is that now we have 4 HD channels from Star Sports. This means not missing out on the races for some stupid event or other.
Hopefully next year we might even get the dedicated F1 channel like in the UK... wishful thinking.....

There seems to have been some picture transmission problems/glitches towards the end of the practice session telecast on star sports (at least on tata sky) with loss of picture, hopefully it doesn't happen at any interesting moments of qualifying or the race. I remember in the last race qualifying session they cut off and moved to the next program right at the closing few seconds of qualifying.

I don't know how Kimi does it but somehow he does it. Either he screws up or his side of the garage screws up.

Kimi Raikkonen - Spoiling mood since 2003.

Q2 was phenomenal and gives me an idea - Why not have a small elimination race as a qualifier? The slowest car at the end of each lap gets eliminated. All cars are equidistant at the start. Big guys won't push too hard at the start but push too less and get eliminated.

Anyways I wonder if it rains it will help Ferrari in the race because Williams are nowhere and Nico was like a lost child in the wet today. So if Kimi has a trouble free race and passes cars quickly like a Boss we can have 2 Ferrari drivers on the podium.

So bloody happy that Vettel took P1. And more happy coz he earned it by racing his car not by banking of someone's misfortune.
Rosberg must have learnt to never finger the finger man... :p
Awesome race but I missed the first 5laps which had the most action I hear.... (Stupid voltage fluctuation made me keep my expensive TV off :( )
Anyways nice race and hopefully this should bring a breath of fresh air to this season.....
It was lovely to see Vettel getting so ecstatic and emotional at the end of the race.
Good race by Lewis even though his tyre strategy got a little messed up. I dont know whats wrong with Kimi. He is no short of potential to take the car to the podium. This year even the car seems to be doing well so far. Last race I understand it was very unfortunate that his start was spoiled but this race it looked like he was present physically only not mentally.

Anyways.... good season so far and waiting for the China GP. Rosberg has proven his metal there and he will have the mental advantage over Lewis but what remains to see is will Vettel or Bottas give a good challenge to Rosberg and make him work hard for the p1 finish.

Back