Flipkart to shut down website by April 2016 and Migrate to App

swatkats

Skilled
Flipkart was considering shutting its mobile site as well as its desktop-based website to move sales entirely to the mobile app. Spokespersons for Flipkart and Myntra confirmed that the companies had shut their mobile websites. The desktop-based sites are still functional though both companies are considering shutting them over time, two people familiar with the matter said.

Read more at: http://www.livemint.com/Industry/J9VeQxowSOlHU8ZMUParUL/Flipkart-moves-towards-becoming-apponly-platform.html

Even Biggies like Amazon, Bestbuy, Staples, Alibaba.. No one got this Great Foolish Idea. Do you think this is a wise decision or a Typical Miser thinking, Especially because of the background they come from?

Here's the thing
:
pixel.gif

Accepting that desktops weren't giving the same returns on investments anymore compared to a few years ago, Bansal said Flipkart will keep an eye out for more acquisitions in the mobile space and look to fill the gaps on tech and talent front.

"I believe it (mobile advertising) can be a big business for us," said Bansal, who is spearheading the ad business for Flipkart post a reorganization at the seven-year-old company which started off as an online bookstore.

Search giant Google and social networking site Facebook dominate the online and mobile advertising space, globally and in India, but e-commerce majors who boast of large consumer traffic and data are now looking to target shoppers on their platforms, prompted by their growing seller base and high adoption of smartphones.

http://articles.economictimes.india...60286802_1_sachin-bansal-flipkart-ad-business

Last edited:
Just because their 70% sales are through App, that doesn't mean you will force everyone to mandatorily use a APP. I don't have an Smartphone now, what should i do? Buy FK's Chinese low standard Digiflip Crap tablet Preloaded with Myntra and Flipkart applications?

If i am not wrong, These Kanjoos people are digging their own graves.

Last edited:
Guess who is going to benefit with this move to go all mobile?
Amazon, snapdeal etc-2 lol

I do search products on mobile. But always buy them from desktop. Who would believe there credit or debit card details would be safe through a mobile site.

I would only buy from mobile when I would get heafty discount and cash on delivery option is there.

Absolute foolishness. My dad is not gonna install the app on his Nokia and browse in the tiny screen. Although I believe the elderly population is a small number for FK/Myntra, it does bear significance.
And, even I and my wife like to shop from desktop. Rarely, as mentioned above, if there is a good discount on app, I go the mobile way.

Total foolishness.

The only reason why people buy from the app is because of additional discounts.
Say I've decided to buy a phone. I'll first research it on the website.
Then I'll buy it on the app, because of the additional discounts.

And that app has a new update everyday, so virtually I have to re-install it every godamn day.

No thanks.

More stupid than anyone can imagine. At least in the present state, I will not be using mobile apps for purchases. Even leaving the security concerns aside, the primary point is that they are not even worth using. Flipkart app is shitty at its best and the one time I really wanted to purchase from it for a discount, I hated the overall experience so much that I chose to buy the item on the website without the discount.

Very very stupid move. I would never ever ever shop on a mobile device.
So amazons firephone will be a flop ?

nobody really cares about it because its only availabe in the US so thats the rest of the world out and its only available on a particular carrier which means everybody in the US that isn't on that carrier is also out.

Flipkart is becoming greedy, they just want to invade every bit of privacy on the smart phones; You'll just be shocked to see the the variety of permission that this app has access to!
You never know, soon they will inject some kinda of a SuperFish into their apps; days are not far off !!
They already track the user searches by their 32digit unique code.. what else is in stored who knows....

What a bunch of idiots. I don't remember any Non-Indian website shutdown in favour of mobile app even though smartphone and Internet penetration is much higher in those countries.

From where do these people get their retarded ideas?

Why would any e-tailer consider this? Are the costs of running such a site very high? (Genuinely asking, not sarcasm or rhetorical).

The Flipkart App. is good for on-the-whim browsing. Oh...how much would "xxxx" be, let me check it out. After that, the actual choosing / reviewing / research happens on the computer screen. I guess, they are pegging a lot of hopes on their push-notifications via the APP. Best of luck to them...! My shopping experience will go down many notches using the APP. May even use alternate sources to procure.

Just very very surprised by the poor quality of advice that Flipkart is getting.

Also it may mean that they are going to just depend on Flash sales and Every Day Low Price.

Whoever does the interpretation of the sales data is making a big mistake by overlooking the obvious.

Why would any e-tailer consider this? Are the costs of running such a site very high? (Genuinely asking, not sarcasm or rhetorical).
Yes. The cost (or resources) for a website is usually high compared to app.

However, site is more convenient and brings more business.

A website on a 10-14 inch screen is lot easy to explore products. 6-8 products in a single scroll on app, while 12-16 or more on the website. Its just much more faster, and less scrolling. Also a more comfortable environment.

These people are thinking very narrowly just to be the "first" to do something. Will end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Back