Flipkart to go app-only from September: Report

After its online fashion store Myntra, Flipkart is all set to go app-only starting this September.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, a report by Times Of India, claims that the company’s chief product officer Punit Soni addressed a town hall meeting last week and announced Flipkart will operate only as a mobile app from September.

On asking, Flipkart reportedly hasn’t denied the possibility. A spokesperson told the news site, “India is gradually transitioning from a mobile first to a mobile only country. At Flipkart, we have been following a mobile first approach and 70-75% of our total traffic is already coming from our mobile app. We are constantly experimenting with various aspects of our service to create the best shopping experience for our users on our app. Meanwhile, we continue to offer both desktop as well as mobile option for our customers.”

It was just two months ago that Myntra hit headlines with its app-only platform. Facebook-owned fashion store had said that 95 percent of Internet traffic comes through mobile and 70 percent sales are generated through smartphones. This was speculated to be the possible motive as to why it ventured completely into smartphones. However, it did raise many questions such as does cutting off all desktop operations and moving into an app-only format make sense? The move received mixed reactions.

The growing need for smartphones is bound to drive online shopping in the future, but how ‘far distant future’ is still unclear. For many, it seemed like an abrupt shift rather than a gradual one as Indian audiences aren’t absolutely ready to completely abandon shopping from their PCs. Restricting users to the app could have its disadvantages.

However, looks like, the strategy seems to be working and the high penetration of Internet-enabled smartphones has led to enough traction in purchases through mobile devices. This may have assured Flipkart that it’s moving in the right direction by going app-only.

Source

nvosf.jpg

Fk is going to do self-suicide :D

someone please pass this info to them
Code:
Need help? India:
022 2754 6669
AASRA
Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
Languages: English, Hindi

Already unsubscribed from Myntra mailing list after they started sending a lot of promotional stuff after going app only. Looks like Flipkart is next.

I don't miss Myntra at all since they went "app only". I just shifted to other sites.

If FK goes "app happy", I will miss them as FK & Amazon are the two sites I tend to shop on.

First Myntra now Flipkart (Snapdeal/Ebay will be my choice now)

Did you have a bad experience with Amazon? Curious to know why you prefer Snapdeal (the WORST of the "big 4" IMO) and Ebay (again, only slightly better than Snapdeal IMO) over Amazon...

Is there any plot twist, like if B&M shop guys brainwashing the Bansals? :D

Its pretty simple actually. its not their money going down the drain. So they don't care. You have shit loads of funding coming in despite ever increasing losses. So what do you do? Hire people and pay them like crazy, Sell products at a loss in the name of building the brand and maybe go a one step too far and decide by yourself and declare that India is now a Mobile only country from being a mobile first.

I mean according them, every body in the country has an iPhone or moderate to high end Android and everybody has ditched their computers and laptops and instead doing everything on their phones. Everybody has internet banking on their phones. If anybody has a different phone for any reason, screw them because they are idiots for not having an iPhone or Android to use the shitty mobile app that they have developed.

I don't miss Myntra at all since they went "app only". I just shifted to other sites.

If FK goes "app happy", I will miss them as FK & Amazon are the two sites I tend to shop on.

Did you have a bad experience with Amazon? Curious to know why you prefer Snapdeal (the WORST of the "big 4" IMO) and Ebay (again, only slightly better than Snapdeal IMO) over Amazon...
Amazon doesn't ship anything above 5k to U.P so amazon is the worst site for me. Not even the exclusive deals like yureka ... Where we try our best to beat the others and when we get that in cart these guys tell you that we won't ship .... Pathetic (why they simply tell us that you are from UP so Dont waste your time trying to buy from us)
Of course I'll miss flipkart but not myntra.

^ Oh that really sucks - I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to be treated differently simply because you're in a particular State/City... :(

Its pretty simple actually. its not their money going down the drain. So they don't care. You have shit loads of funding coming in despite ever increasing losses. So what do you do? Hire people and pay them like crazy, Sell products at a loss in the name of building the brand and maybe go a one step too far and decide by yourself and declare that India is now a Mobile only country from being a mobile first.

I mean according them, every body in the country has an iPhone or moderate to high end Android and everybody has ditched their computers and laptops and instead doing everything on their phones. Everybody has internet banking on their phones. If anybody has a different phone for any reason, screw them because they are idiots for not having an iPhone or Android to use the shitty mobile app that they have developed.

Precisely, plus atleast you are expected to have a friend with Android or Apple devices to help you with the purchase if you don't own one!!

I usually don't buy anything from a mobile device, I don't feel they're safe enough - (probably that's my feeling) other than mobile recharge & bill pay. If I must, then I ask for COD. That's how I'm wired, I think. Even i adopted to the idea of online buying very late.

Whenever I buy online, most of my pre buying research is on a Desktop or a Laptop. I'm sorely going to miss Flipkart.
It's a useless decision by Flipkart management .

First Myntra now Flipkart (Snapdeal/Ebay will be my choice now)
Ebay is far better than SD, at-least they listen & refund if you don't like the product or not matched you expectation.paisa-pay is secure.
SD is like Deal with it, we sold & now its your headache.
Ebay is still the one who provides better deals.

Amazon doesn't ship anything above 5k to U.P so amazon is the worst site for me. .
what you saying, amazon no service in UP ?
i guess your CM has exclusive rights to sell/distribute laptops in the state :) & movies too, and hence letting amazon to do business there will kill his business.

Ebay is far better than SD, at-least they listen & refund if you don't like the product or not matched you expectation.paisa-pay is secure.
SD is like Deal with it, we sold & now its your headache.
Ebay is still the one who provides better deals.

what you saying, amazon no service in UP ?
i guess your CM has exclusive rights to sell/distribute laptops in the state :) & movies too, and hence letting amazon to do business there will kill his business.
Hahaha yeah I fail to understand the laptop logic but he has done some good things as well. For amazon its there problem as all major sites ship to UP so its they who should deal with the paperwork. The truth is they cry about form filling but I have yet to face an incident where I have to provide those details. My question is if FK can then why can't you.

Back