Audio First set of expensive headphones - Need suggestions!

I have around 6-7k to spend on a quality pair of headphones. I've always had IEMs till now, but I'm thinking of getting proper headphones with this money. I've never spent over 2k on headphones, so I want to do some thorough research before I buy them.

Note: I am not an audiophile. I can't tell the difference between 320k and 256k music on my current earphones (let alone FLAC). I listen to all kinds of music so I'm looking for a well rounded pair (From Floyd to Kendrick Lamar). Hip hop needs to sound nice and bassy!

A few things:

1. I'd prefer Wireless bluetooth headphones. But I realize that if I go for wireless, I'm gonna be sacrificing on sound quality.
  2. I can add another 2k to my budget if the product is really worth it.
  3. Another huge plus would be if they're runner-friendly
  4. Warranty available in India is a must.

PS: I can also just buy some normal IEMs for 1k for my gym/running and spend the rest on proper wired headphones, in case you feel separating concerns is a better idea.

Thanks!

You can try HPs from Philips , sony , Sennheiser yourself in major electronics outlets ..
Some suggestions though keeping Indian warranty in picture -
ath-50 from proaudiohome , (from them because they will provide warranty themselves) not sure how audio-technica warranty is handled from other sources.
Sennheiser momentum , with impeccable 2 yrs warranty (be sure to buy from authorized retailers).

Brother this won't be good news for you but since the exchange rate dropped most good(200$ range) over ear headphones cost closer to 15k than they are to 10k.

Steer clear of the Senn HD50x series headphones because they need an amp.

Look at the B&W P3 or Beyerdynamic custom one pro(I'm selling mine). ATH M50x is a good safe choice too.

Better audio is universal and once you are exposed to good sound quality you WON'T be going back.

I hear u when u say that its hard to differentiate b/w 256 & 320kbps files because if they have been encoded using L.A.M.E compression you won't be able to tell the difference b/w 16-bit 44Khz FLAC and 320kbps. L.A.M.E is an encoder used in most studios.

another thing yes good headphones are expensive but they are ALWAYS worth it and if you take care of them they last years.

Ath-m50x.... It's the best. Once you listen to music on these, you ll realise what you have been missing out till now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Philips SHP9500 for 6.3k from Massdrop and they are easily my favourite heaphones till date. Fairly warm sounding (more so after I stuck some extra cotton padding inside the earpads) for open headpones, well suited to rock and does a good job with the other genres as well. I have the Ath-M50x and it is more detailed and bass is more punchy but I enjoy listening to music a lot more on the 9500. I think it is the 'prat' thing people in headfi talk about.

i have ath-m50, brainwavz hm9 and sennheiser momentum and other iems. but out of these threes i love momentum as i get more details and doesnt hurt on long hours.
in my view,
m50-bass head and cant hear for long hours, it hurts
hm9-neutral and little bass and "
momentum-lightweight and got more details, dont lnow with the analogy of mids, bass, blah but its good to hear and on long hours.
and for runner friendly i believe iem i better(i never run'd with headfones) but m50, hm9 are heavy than momentum.

I have been eying the ATH-M50x myself, though a bit scared to spend 10k on them without listening. Is there any place where I can try them on to hear the sound myself?

since your requirement is tilting towards hip-hop, ath-m50 will do a decent job.
But it isnt as good as people here are making them sound. Listen to a lot of gear before making a call.
Beyer custom one pro are a gr8 set of cans. Also some noteworthy mentions are,
ultrasone 750/780
sony xb800
skullcandy aviator (dont remember the exact model, a lot of other models r simply shit)

And if still confused, just get the koss porta prob bro for like 40$...sorted

Ath m50x is bit overrated IMHO. It suits certain types of bass heavy stuff a lot. It sounds more synthetic IMHO. If you are more into bollywood, AR Rahman, Rap, techno kind of bass heavy music you can't go wrong Ath m50x.

Sennheiser , Sony and Grado prestige series should also be considered if you're looking around price range of 5 - 15k.

Nothing else is as subjective as sound appreciation in media world. Better to take an audition before you buy.

I'd vouch for Philips shp 9500 anyday over m50x. But it's my opinion, both are very different sound signatures. But So is with sennheiser 598 & Grados.

Listen yourself, with music of your choice, before you buy.

PS: Don't take so called audiophile reviews seriously. You'll get lost.

Last edited:
People looking for m50x keep an eye on flipkart, two months back i purchased one for 4999 , seller ws retail
earlier in march i had bought one for 7200 from same seller, couldn't resist the offer so bough the second one :)

Back