First cable-net connection (HNS): need help setting up wifi

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
Hello!

i got my first cable-net connection a couple of hours back (have an existing MTNL connection since years). its from Honesty Net Solutions (franchisee being Dolphin Infonet/1&1 broadband, Thane). presently using it through ethernet on my laptop. some points:

-- have a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 router, on DD-WRT

-- for ethernet, what the cable-guy did was connected the cable to a LAN port on the router, then created a new broadband connection (WAN Miniport PPPoE) for me to log in using the new credentials, enabled the existing ethernet connection (on the realtek controller of laptop), connected and logged in using the earlier created BB connection.

-- to use wifi, he told me to connect the same cable to the WAN port instead on the router, then enter the credentials on the router's set-up page instead of MTNL credentials, put the service-name as 'hns', create a MAC address clone. did this, but can't connect. am missing something. WAN IP still shows as 0.0.0.0.

please suggest how to go about it.

TIA!

Would suggest you to reset the router once and then proceed with the steps for configuration.
Go to setup by connecting router to lappy with a lan cable. Then insert the incoming connection to the wan port of router. In your address bar enter 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 whichever works. Then go to setup. Select the type of incoming connection/wan connection on auto detect. It should automatically select PPPoE. Enter the username, password provided to you by honesty. Set up router for security, ssid, etc. Once done go to the network tab > advanced put the service name as hns. The go to mac address and clone the mac address of the pc. And connect. If not connecting still please contact your isp and tell him to release the mac address. Then remove the mac clone by resetting the mac address in the mac address tab. Just made a try to solve it. Using a similar pppoe fivenet connection and have faced such issues with the config.

Would suggest you to reset the router once and then proceed with the steps for configuration.
Go to setup by connecting router to lappy with a lan cable. Then insert the incoming connection to the wan port of router. In your address bar enter 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 whichever works. Then go to setup. Select the type of incoming connection/wan connection on auto detect. It should automatically select PPPoE. Enter the username, password provided to you by honesty. Set up router for security, ssid, etc. Once done go to the network tab > advanced put the service name as hns. The go to mac address and clone the mac address of the pc. And connect. If not connecting still please contact your isp and tell him to release the mac address. Then remove the mac clone by resetting the mac address in the mac address tab. Just made a try to solve it. Using a similar pppoe fivenet connection and have faced such issues with the config.

thanks!
that was easy! this was the step that i had missed earlier. i had earlier just enabled 'MAC cloning' in the router-settings, and had left 'get current PC MAC address' left untouched (not knowing what it was). however, reading this page here

http://www.linksys.com/au/support-article?articleNum=142912

and then the underlined part of your post, i enabled that, and the router got a WAN IP and wifi started working almost instantly!

also, reading posts by 'mgcarley' and 'VinceB' here, i had decided to call the ISP tomorrow to release the MAC-binding, but not needed.

for anyone else who might land here sometime or the other, this is what i did (may help; DDWRT screens below):

net through LAN most probably would work for you just 'out of the box', but setting up wifi initially may confuse you, so....

- first using ethernet/LAN itself, set up the prerequisites on the router-page (@ 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or whatever). go to 'set-up'>>'basic set-up', enter the username-pword given by the ISP....then check 'advanced settings', and enter the 'service-name' as 'hns', as shown below

SZDFkGpl.jpg

click on 'apply settings' and 'save' at the bottom

- then go to 'MAC address clone' under 'set-up', and 'enable' it if disabled, plus click on 'get current PC MAC address'.

DdqKGNIl.jpg

click on 'apply settings' and 'save' at the bottom

- reboot your router (remotely or manually), disconnect from the LAN session on your PC and enable wifi after a few seconds, and lo!

P.S. - you should get to see the WAN IP on the top right corner (hidden by a red bar as in the screens above) if successful.

@zapout

@dheerajjotwani - configured fine? anything else? :)

ok another query - can i not use a LAN/ethernet connection while the incoming cable is connected to the WAN port? that is, the laptops and phones should be kept connected to the network via wifi, but the desktop via LAN connection.

i tested it on my laptop. turned off the wifi adapter and switched on the ethernet adapter, to connect via intranet. the broadband connection won't log me in.

EDIT: ok something strange. tried again. disabled the wifi. turned on the wifi adapter, but didn't connect using the log-in connection. checked and found that the browser is pulling up webpages. so this means no need to go via the log-in process. only if i disconnect the ISP cable from the WAN port and connect it to LAN solely to connect via intranet, then only the log-in thing is to be used to connect successfully.
coming to learn the intricacies of a cable-net connection slowly. :p

P.S. the log-in/dial-up broadband connection i wrote of above is the one seen as 'Broadband Connection HNS' in the below screen:

4Dyp9xL.png

Last edited:
I don't think you need to keep the connection unless you need to plug in the cable directly. You router is already doing the job of authenticating your identity.

One more thing, you can access hard drives of PC from Android via WiFi. I use ES file explorer but I'm sure other file managers also have this feature.

I don't think you need to keep the connection unless you need to plug in the cable directly. You router is already doing the job of authenticating your identity.

One more thing, you can access hard drives of PC from Android via WiFi. I use ES file explorer but I'm sure other file managers also have this feature.

yes, even i was wondering if the utility of the BB connection is only limited to when i would need to plug in the ISP cable for only intranet/LAN-purpose.

i also use ES FE for the same.

Great to see the wifi working well. I gave you steps according to the tp link firmware but seems like you already had ddwrt installed:D

yes; it had come 'pre-installed' (purchased from member dheerajjotwani).
earlier it had taken me some time to look where the 'service-name' field was located on the router-page. :p

BTW, do you know of any thread where i can learn all about cable-net connections and how to best utilise one (like what are hubs and how to use them, etc., etc.)?! either here, on HFV, or anywhere else on the web?

yes; it had come 'pre-installed' (purchased from member dheerajjotwani).
earlier it had taken me some time to look where the 'service-name' field was located on the router-page. [emoji14]

BTW, do you know of any thread where i can learn all about cable-net connections and how to best utilise one (like what are hubs and how to use them, etc., etc.)?! either here, on HFV, or anywhere else on the web?
DC ++ hubs are banned AFAIK. Other than that make sure whether your isp caches torrents if that's the case there are many websites which will let you know if the torrent you are searching is cached on your network.

DC ++ hubs are banned AFAIK. Other than that make sure whether your isp caches torrents if that's the case there are many websites which will let you know if the torrent you are searching is cached on your network.
ok. yes of late i haven't been hearing about them hubs.

y'day i happened to read about torrent-caching and something called 'peering'. was led to a site 'torbox'. for MTNL it showed me 'your ISP is not listed for peering', something of that sort, but for the new connection it straightaway listed torrents. what is that about?

ok. yes of late i haven't been hearing about them hubs.

y'day i happened to read about torrent-caching and something called 'peering'. was led to a site 'torbox'. for MTNL it showed me 'your ISP is not listed for peering', something of that sort, but for the new connection it straightaway listed torrents. what is that about?
Here you get to know which files are available from the nearest of the computers connected to your network. In that case the download speeds are going to be much higher close to 4.6MB/sec.
Its just a method wherein users get the benefit of getting the same file at much higher download rate and the isp saves itself for paying less data for downloading the same file over and over.
For example an OTA update to the redmi 1s was recently cached on to the isp's server. So the update users on the network who did that OTA update got the file downloaded @ 50 mbps on their phone than what would be downloaded according to your broadband speeds.

Here you get to know which files are available from the nearest of the computers connected to your network. In that case the download speeds are going to be much higher close to 4.6MB/sec.
Its just a method wherein users get the benefit of getting the same file at much higher download rate and the isp saves itself for paying less data for downloading the same file over and over.
For example an OTA update to the redmi 1s was recently cached on to the isp's server. So the update users on the network who did that OTA update got the file downloaded @ 50 mbps on their phone than what would be downloaded according to your broadband speeds.
thanks! yes, just read the same on what it actually is. the ISP is registered with them. just testing a DL. getting close to 3.5 MiB/s. may be after configuring the client well and forwarding a port will get more speeds. but its anyway never-experienced-before speed for me as it is; esp. glad for the increase in the UL-speed compared to MTNL. :D

am seeing a weird issue. many non-popular torrents or the ones with less no. of seeders, they aren't downloading on my cable-net connection (or download at pathetic speeds), either on wifi or when connected through ethernet. tried on deluge as well as utorrent. but as soon as i change-over to my MTNL-net connection, they begin downloading full-speed. moreover, the same port shows as being active and properly forwarded on deluge, which a while back wasn't showing the same on cable-net. could anybody please explain what could be the reason, and how to overcome the problem? even the magnet-links for them won't download. i suspected torrent-throttling/blocking at first, but a Glasnost-test came out clean.

WAN IP range? Public or private?

Secondly, if your ISP does torrent caching, and you know the caching IP addresses, just add a static router for the same and give a internal LAN IP address - worked for me for Transmission last year.

Back