Android Even new phones are no longer guaranteed to have the latest version of Android

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Many are disappointed that the latest flagships from OnePlus and Razer are not launching with Oreo, but are on Nougat.

Link : https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/17/16669378/oneplus-5t-razer-phone-android-oreo-missing-why

However, I feel that this might be in part due to Google's requirements for Oreo, especially, the kernel requirements

https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/kernel/modular-kernels#core-kernel-requirements

Where, they state that SoCs which are productized - to use their own words, meaning launched in a phone in 2017, must run Kernel 4.4 with Oreo. This would mean that if OnePlus decides to use Oreo to launch, they would need to run with 4.4 instead of 3.18.

However, there are 2 things that are pushing them to use Nougat -

Firstly, it seems that Qualcomm is not ready with 4.4, there is some testing to be done.

Secondly, they need to implement Project Treble as well, which needs some testing over the kernel thing.

Just a point for discussion.

Rather than wait to push the final stable version, companies prefer to make a early sale in order not to miss their revenue targets. I believe thats the reason behind 5T not getting Oreo.

Actually, I spoke to some devs, Qualcomm has given the 4.4 kernel stuff, but the companies are not ready for moving from 3.x to 4.4.

I have been putting off my purchase for exactly the same reason. Any phone that is out with Oreo must, as decreed by Google, must support project treble. This will mean an easier update path without OEM intervention.

I am looking towards companies like Sony to lead the Oreo path. Especially since they are good with updates. Some affordable phones like Honor V7 are launching with Oreo and that's surely a good sign.

Samsung has said that the S6 is going to get Oreo. This probably means that OEMs are taking android updates more seriously. If they are then, it is good times for us!

Back