Audio DT990 Upgrades

Planars are not necessarily an upgrade over dynamics. Yes, planars are generally smoother and have less bass distortion compared to dynamics, i think HD650 despite being a decade old still beats Hifiman HE6/HE400i/HE400s and Audeze LCD2/x when it comes to macrodynamicd, microdynamics and midrange detail. 650's bass on the other hand is no contest to the planars.

I am considering the HE400 or Fostex X00, I know they are open vs closed but can anyone tell me exact differentiating points?

Whatever you do, don't buy the HE400. Those were my worst audio purchases. Distorted mids , peaky/grainy treble. Bass was good but otherwise overall just bad sounding.

Nopes, the measurements seem to confirm my views. The mid range is beyond terrible on the HE400. LCD2 is in a different class all together.
Recently heard the HE400i and HE400s as well. Better than HE400 but still not worth the money.
If you plan to go for LCD2, look for the old version (non-fazer). IMO, Fazers do not sound as clean overall.
Why don't you go for the HD650? I find it better than any audeze. Although you'll need serious upgrades to your DAC/Amp or else it'll end up sounding just bad.

If you can handle an overall bright tone, $250 is a good price. Ak7XX - I haven't heard it but the measurements suggest it to be decent headphone.

Back