All OS Does it make sense to buy an iPad Pro now?

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
Am looking to buy a tablet, and have my sights set on the iPad Pro 9.7. However, I'm in two minds whether to bite the bullet immediately since there are rumors that the updated new version of the iPad Pro might be just round the corner. So, does it really make sense to invest on the Pro now? Does Apple have a history of slashing old gen tablet prices markedly when the new ones are released? Any inputs will be appreciated.

I bought the bigger one like on the first day. Sold it after sometime, now happily on my macbook. the 12inch one.

Reason being, the weight was the same for me, Not in absolute numbers I understand. But productivity wise, I enjoy the macbook far better than iPad Pro.

What is your use with it? Artist friend bought it last month and he says its even better than cintiq pad he has. apple pencil has lower levels of pressure than cintiq one but not by much. Plus excellent albeit costly drawing software is totally worth it.

If its general use like watching movies, I found it rather hard sell since its so big. macbook would be better for productivity I think. apple pro with keyboard cover is more heavier than macbook alone

As I mentioned earlier, I'm after the 9.7 version. Main uses being reading pdf docs and some media consumption. It'll not be a desktop replacement. The drawing feature will be a bonus, as I'm into drawing histological pictures for a text book.
So, my questions remain the same. Does Apple slash previous gen product prices greatly when the new ones are launched?

The a9x 9.7 would in all likelihood be replaced with the a10x version
There have been cases in the past where the prev gen model has been retained with a discount but that appears unlikely for the 9.7 Pro

What I have observed so far that retailers will typically clear stocks with discounts a short while before the next gen launches - e,g, the core M macbook 12 was discounted to 77-78K before the core M3 macbook 12 came out around late Q1 last year
Going by past precedent, you can expect some discounts on the current Pro line over the coming 1-2 months
Also , apple, unlike most manufacturers prices its products at near par US prices
However, the Pro that received a $100 price cut around Oct 16 in the US hasn't seen that happen in India which makes it more likley that you can see some discounts in the next 1-2 months.
Having said that, all of the above is pure speculation

Hmm.. The fact that there are no clear indications about the time frame for the pro 2 release makes it all the more difficult. I'll have to sleep over it for a couple of days before deciding, I guess.

Hmm.. The fact that there are no clear indications about the time frame for the pro 2 release makes it all the more difficult. I'll have to sleep over it for a couple of days before deciding, I guess.

Massive sales on the iPad Pro last week in the US. That's usually an indicator that a new model launch is close by. My friend picked up a 32GB iPad pro for around 400 bucks from Target.

I guess just set a deadline for yourself like end-March and buy the existing model then regardless of whether a new one is announced and/or prices are cut.

I guess just set a deadline for yourself like end-March and buy the existing model then regardless of whether a new one is announced and/or prices are cut.
:D:D Deadlines are set by the significant other. I have no say in that. But yeah, I do have a deadline in mind.
But frankly I expect ipad pro to work reliably for next 3~4 years tbh wrt to software
That's true. The new ipads don't make a difference in my decision, coz I will buy the first gen iPad pro only. Budget won't allow the new one when announced for sure. Am just trying to ensure I don't feel cheated when I buy and a price cut happens within days, which I know will eventually happen. ;)

Thanks all for your inputs.

Back