Windows Disk Partition advise

Elessar123

Disciple
Hey!

I had bought a new laptop recently. It came with a single partitioned drive. I want to segregate it into another drive. Now my question is:

1) Can I do it without losing data in the original drive?(I have 880 gb something free out of 900gb.)

and

2) Will the laptop slow down because of that?

Thanks!

In disk management right click C drive, Shrink option and decide how much space you need to keep for C and the other will be unformatted free space which you can use to create more partitions.
It doesn't slow down you laptop as far as you keeping sufficient space for C not to mention the windows updates.
Keep 100-120gb for C and rest all whatever you want.

In disk management right click C drive, Shrink option and decide how much space you need to keep for C and the other will be unformatted free space which you can use to create more partitions.
It doesn't slow down you laptop as far as you keeping sufficient space for C not to mention the windows updates.
Keep 100-120gb for C and rest all whatever you want.
But partitioning wont delete the contents in the previous drives, right? i heard that the system might find it dificult to search for files because the directory will change. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

you should be able to re-partition without loosing data but it would take a long time since it would move all the data before doing the repartition. being that said, I dont suggest doing it. since its a waste of time.

2) Will the laptop slow down because of that?
The current file systems are mature enough to handle all sorts of things. so, no... laptop will not slowdown because of shrinking partition / repartitioning.

you should be able to re-partition without loosing data but it would take a long time since it would move all the data before doing the repartition. being that said, I dont suggest doing it. since its a waste of time.

The current file systems are mature enough to handle all sorts of things. so, no... laptop will not slowdown because of shrinking partition / repartitioning.

Ok thanks..

Of the 950 gb something in c drive, I can only partition half of it- somewhere around 495 gb. How can I make it go even higher?

But what about this problem?

Back