Laptops Disable Battery Charging Option in Dell ?

Praks

Skilled
I came across this option in Dell Laptops.

Disable Battery Charging

wtwpzr.png

Have clicked it few times & Pressed ok. It shows Charging Disabled.

Wanted to know Technical know how of this function.. What exactly it does ?

Man, it just stops the battery from getting charged, that's it, nothing else. I have never come across any real use of this function.

It is useful if you know that you are going to keep your laptop connected to AC power for an extended period of time. It saves your battery recharge cycles.

(Just remember that if you restart your computer, this settings reverts to the default setting).

Is it not good to just take the battery out of the laptop and keep it in case you are always using it on AC power and do not need battery backup?

Maybe charge it once a month or so...

^ problem would be when you face sudden power failure. This mode is just to prolong life of the battery while constantly connected to AC.

Its turning to an Interesting discussion now :)

@clown_abhi

Good point, I was thinking the same way, but if laptop runs on power line & even if power goes off for 10 seconds, laptop will be off.

@All

I understood is if you put a check mark in the box & run the laptop (say for 5 hours), battery will not be recharged for 5 hours/next reboot & if power goes laptop will take power from Battery,

Isn't it good to keep this option ticked always as it will reduce laptop battery charge cycles & might increase life of battery ?

Praks said:
Isn't it good to keep this option ticked always as it will reduce laptop battery charge cycles & might increase life of battery ?

No as it would prevent the battery from charging. The main use of this option is to prevent overcharging of the battery (though I think some manufacturers have this option inbuilt) one scenario I can assume is using your laptop in office where you keep your lappy connected to AC for say 9hrs continuous with no power failure.

I have a Sony Laptop & as the documentation claims - the laptop automatically disables battery charging when battery is full & runs on AC power.

Shouldn't this be the case with Dell laptops too ?

pauldmps said:
I have a Sony Laptop & as the documentation claims - the laptop automatically disables battery charging when battery is full & runs on AC power.

Shouldn't this be the case with Dell laptops too ?

there is a option in vaio to limit the battery to 80% if you are mostly battery user or 50% if you are ac power user. this saves the battery life.

The option of using ur laptop without battery is only feasible in conditions where you have got a stable power supply. You cant for sure follow this in India, where power cuts are a norm :)

Even if you don't enable this option, still the battery wont overcharge. All the recent laptop battery have overcharge protection inbuilt.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/batteries_sitelet/en/batteries_faq?c=us&l=en&cs=19#faq8

I had a friend owning a Dell Studio and his battery went bad in a year of usage where he used to maintain it properly as well. Another friend has the battery in the Dell Inspiron and running it 24x7 on AC power and still his battery is good for 2 hours after 3 years of usage :)

I guess its matter of luck that's all. The rulebook does not seem to work for laptop batteries at least.

Hence, you can ignore the option if you want to use the laptop during power outages, so as to enable charging whenever required :p

Its bad luck for me!!!!

I had a friend owning a Dell Studio and his battery went bad in a year of usage where he used to maintain it properly as well. Another friend has the battery in the Dell Inspiron and running it 24x7 on AC power and still his battery is good for 2 hours after 3 years of usage :)

I guess its matter of luck that's all. The rulebook does not seem to work for laptop batteries at least.

--
Ya ofcourse its bad luck for me.. apparently my dell xps15 laptop
DOES NOT
come with a automatic disable feature for charging once battery is full. I had a 1 year warranty for my battery and lap parts. But exactly 1 month after the expiry of my warranty my battery failed.
Now i can use my lap for only 15 minutes from battery power.
So i went to dell customer care. NOW THEY INFORM ME TO PLUG OUT AFTER CHARGING IS FULL.. only if they have told me earlier i would not have lost my battery ...:mad:

Now i want to buy a new battery but it costs around 4000 rs. i just want a software or something to protect battery failure with auto disable charging feature.. please if anyone know such a software tell me ... thank u in advance

which is Better option

Hi all

Good to know the functionality of the "Disable charging feature ". I also heard that for optimum use charge your battery fully plug out your charger & plug in again when it goes very low. I know this will consume battery cycle, but still wanted to confirm which one is better option to save battery.

Thank You

eh very old topic created by me :)

Just follow this, Once you know batt is full, Go to Dell battery meter & Disable charging. Its manual & you need to do all the time but works well.
This will reduce discharge cycles & lappy runs on direct power until there is power cut.

Back