Dimmer switch for Yogurt Maker?

toocool6600

Disciple
http://www.scdkat.com/2008/04/scd-yogurt-tips/

Wife has serious disease ulcerative colitis, for which we need a electronic yogurt maker, here in the link the lady is talking about some Dimmer switch to be used with one of the yogurt maker as she says yogurt maker is giving more heat ............. Whats that? What is a Dimmer switch, where to buy one?

Much appreciated thanks

a fan regulator controls the speed of fans. a dimmer switch controls/dims the intensity of incandescent light bulbs. you can't use dimmer switches anywhere you wish because some devices (and light bulbs) aren't meant for it.

you need a high wattage dimmer for that yoghurt maker. dimmer switches aren't so common in india. but you can safely use electronic fan regulators in its place, which are available everywhere. but again, make sure that the power ratings match.

Power rating both in amp and voltage?
watts and amps mentioned on the yoghurt maker should be in the operating range of the dimmer/regulator. operating voltages should match. but the dimmer is going to modify the voltage, which may or may not work well with the yoghurt maker, as, not all appliances are meant to work with a dimmer.

BTW, if your yoghurt maker has temperature control then you don't need any dimmer/regulator.

I had (still have, though less frequently used) a simple yogurt maker (Goodway, I think) that I bought from shopclues a couple of years ago. It worked pretty well, and I don't think it overheated ever. It just maintains the milk at mild warmth. What I had was a pretty basic machine that cost me around 600 bucks. It does not have any controls. Just an on/off switch. We used to just keep checking after 4 to 5 hrs whether the curd has formed, and then switched it off. Try to get one such machine locally.

Btw we need to make the yogurt in making for 24 hours straight every time to make it lactose free, I have already ordered the yogourmet branded maker for 5k from eBay, and the lady said in blog that it doesn't overheat, so we should be good,

ALSO the yolife one was even 2K extra pricey plus it had to be used with dimmer switch, so not needed that

Thanks guys for your replies

you'll first need a step-down-transformer/voltage-converter and then 110V regulator/dimmer. i have a small voltage converter like this:
back.jpg front.jpg

for heavy duty or regular use, you should invest in a good quality transformer like this:
torr.jpg
(image lifted from tormach.com without their consent :p )

Well, thing is that I have bought the model which doesn't overheat so now I don't need dimmer switch at all I suppose.

So only a step down voltage converter will do fine for now?

Costs some 400 rs I suppose............ Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Can't find the one with hi lo switch like yours on Amazon........... Would be better for future needs as well........ What brand do you have?

Thanks

yes, you only need a voltage converter. mine is a no-name brand, bought off the shelf in US.
b2.jpg
i bought few Rs400 ones earlier but they conked off pretty soon. there are good heavy-duty ones available in india. i know of only one place - Bhagirath Palace in Delhi.[DOUBLEPOST=1436604247][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can't find the one with hi lo switch like yours on Amazon
i bought it in Walmart. it came with adapters and a carry bag:

te.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Travelon-High-Low-Converter-Kit/14697982

Last edited:
Please suggestions for buying in india, for American made yogurt maker, so a step down voltage converter from 240 to 110 volts and a Dimmer switch of portable type for wattage of 1000 watts or so, need the yogurt maker forever so good quality stuff needed

Thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1436950364][/DOUBLEPOST]anyone ?

Last edited:
Which village man prepares yogurt for 24 hours straight at an exact temperature?

It's bought for a diseases purpose and its supposed to be highly effective, for which no proper cure exist as of now

No but they can surely make enough yoghurt at one go, daily, that can last 24 hours consumption.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the whole concept and implications, but what advantage does culturing yoghurt for continuous 24 hours has over culturing it for about 2-4 hours the way it happens at traditional Indian homes?

This reminds me of the time when as a 10 year old I wanted to make an instant curd / yoghurt maker. I took a Bournvita Tin (Yes, I am so old that when I was 10 they used to sell it in Tins). Made small hole at the bottom and inserted a pair of electrical wire. To the end of the wire inside tin, connect a bulb holder and insert a Zero watt bulb. The other end is connected to the plug to be put in the electrical socket. The inside of the tin is filled to half with cotton wool (surgical cotton) and then milk with starter curd in a sealed stainless steel box is put into the tin. The tin is filled with more cotton wool and sealed with the Bournvita lid. After turning on the power I used to get about 100 ml of curd in 15 to 20 minutes.

No but they can surely make enough yoghurt at one go, daily, that can last 24 hours consumption.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the whole concept and implications, but what advantage does culturing yoghurt for continuous 24 hours has over culturing it for about 2-4 hours the way it happens at traditional Indian homes?
Yes, you are missing everything

24 hours yogurt is for ulcerative colitis people, who have high resistance for lactose and sugar, so high that they can't ever eat it

Patients need to go for motions some 30 - 40 times a day in this disease. ......................can you imagine?

the best way for relief of patients is eating 24 hours yogurt in which no lactose is left and very high quantities of good bacteria is found which helps to keep patients in better health.

There is no way this kind of yogurt can be made at home without a special machine which keeps exact temperature throughout the 24 hours,evenly all over the 2 quarts milk container

Back