Differential backup or Incremental backup?

Discussion in 'Computer Software' started by erikaflower, Mar 31, 2017.

1. erikaflower

erikaflower New Member
    Disciple

Hi, guys! Maybe someone can give an advice is a differential backup is better than an incremental backup? :)

2. vivek.krishnan

vivek.krishnan Error Code 451
    Veteran

Neither. Full backups are the best. Given a choice, differential is better, but depends on you. I feel incremental will be faster and will consume less space.

I use incremental backups since I have to finish my backups quickly, and Windows Server backup offers no other options. We have been using it for the past 3 years without issues.

Oh, and BTW is this because of World Backup Day?

How do they work?

I am copy pasting from a Google'd Search

Link : http://novabackup.novastor.com/blog/differential-incremental-backup/

Another Link : http://www.acronis.com/en-us/blog/p...business-backup-and-recovery-world-backup-day

tommy_vercetti likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    erikaflower

erikaflower New Member
    Disciple

I am searching for more information. As far as I know, a differential backup requires a full backup first...

4. booo

booo BA BA BA BABANANA
    Veteran

Well, what is the scenario? different scenarios require different styles of backup. Look up RPO and RTO (recovery point objective and recovery time objective) it also depends on how much you want to spend on disaster recovery.
    To answer OP's question, differential and incremental mean the same. :)

The best tool if you want file based backups is rsync. almost all of the commercially available backup tools use rsync internally.

but if you work in Linux, I would suggest using COW filesystems like ZFS or BTRFS (butterfs) and issue snapshots every now and then and backup the snapshots. that would be differential backups without in a simple package.

#6 booo, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  5. cyberwarfare

cyberwarfare Well-Known Member
    Adept

^What he said :)

vivek.krishnan likes this.
  6. bobbyprajan

bobbyprajan Active Member
    Disciple

Whether one or the other is better depends on your priorities and available resources.

Differential backups require more disk space than incremental backups but they can be restored faster. If you have adequate space for differential backups and time to restore is your priority differential backups are a good idea.

Incremental backups require less disk space at the backup destination but the time to restore is longer than a differential backup. You need to restore each incremental backup from the latest full backup to restore data. If you are short on disk space at backup destination and time to restore is not a priority stick to incremental backup.

erikaflower, booo and vivek.krishnan like this.
  7. vidyut

vidyut Member
    Disciple

8. booo

booo BA BA BA BABANANA
    Veteran

oh, I forgot... you can check http://sniadataprotectionguide.org/backup-recovery-products/ for a comparative listing of all the BC&DR products available in the the enterprise market.vir

Also, Virtualizing the systems make backups many folds simpler. because almost all the hypervisors give snapshotting options.

9. vivek.krishnan

vivek.krishnan Error Code 451
    Veteran

+1 to Virtualisation. Life is way simpler now..

Another person to tag might be @nRiTeCh

10. palashshanu

palashshanu Member
    Disciple

I would recommend incremental backup over differential mainly because incremental takes up much less time to back your files up as it has to backup only incremental changes since last backup.

But on the other hand Differential has to backup all the files since the last full backup which is of no point for personal use.

If you talk about restore , let me ask you one question how many times do you have to restore in daily life.

Trust me I am a Backup Engineer.

11. nRiTeCh

nRiTeCh ╙TÉçhkⁿºwªy±iVé»╖
    Veteran

Correct me but after 2k8r2 differential option was removed.

12. booo

booo BA BA BA BABANANA
    Veteran

in my opinion, differential backup is a little tricky because although you save bandwidth on transfer which is becoming a non issue these days. you also need to do DR drills every now and then. imagine that you assume all the data you backed up is good but after the disaster strikes if the backups dont work.. cough cough gitlab

vivek.krishnan likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    erikaflower

erikaflower New Member
    Disciple

Wow! That a lot of answers. Thank you for your replies. Going through your replies several times.

So... as I understand differential backup and incremental backup are different from each other. Also, as i can see incremental backup is better according to the replies.
    The next question appeared in my mind... I am confused about a backup solution for windows system. Is it based on PHP?
    I am sorry if my question looks silly. I am new to all of that things :oops::)

14. OP
    OP
    erikaflower

erikaflower New Member
    Disciple

Thanks for the detailed reply. How much more space differential backup require?

15. bobbyprajan

bobbyprajan Active Member
    Disciple

That would depend on how much changes are there in a day (assuming daily backup). In a differential backup, you add the incremental difference of each day from the last full backup till the next full backup. Hence it takes more space than an incremental backup.

erikaflower likes this.
  16. booo

booo BA BA BA BABANANA
    Veteran

The simplest solution I can think of would be:
    1. install virtual box and move the windows installation into a virtual machine. (there are some p2v tools available to do that if you dont want to reinstall)
    2. virtual box will give you options to take snapshots and you can also automate them if you know some scripting.
    3. snapshots are always differential and I think it creates a new file for every snapshot.
    4. Now, all you need is to backup the new files whenever you take the snapshot. I would do this using rsync but then since you are in windows, that would require some creativity.

if you are using windows server operating systems, I would suggest same strategy with hyperv.

erikaflower likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    erikaflower

erikaflower New Member
    Disciple

OK. Thanks! Well, I assume that there will be a lot of changes in a day. But I got it, the main point to remember that differential backup takes more space than incremental backup

18. OP
    OP
    erikaflower

erikaflower New Member
    Disciple

thanks for suggestions! what if I do not know scripting? Is it big problem?