OC & Modding DeskPC Build

aasimenator

MCITP 2008
Reseller
So in the anticipation of getting married in Jan 2016. Moving my computer table in to my bedroom proved to be a challenge with my CoolerMaster Cosmos II beast of a cabinet. Since i did not have much room to play with I decided to place the CosmosII over head on the wall... but sitting in front of it and using the computer felt like it would fall on me any second.

So i decided to redo the whole thing again & came up with the idea of using a mini ITX build but since i have like 8 Raid Drives, I did not have that many ports on any Mini ITX motherboard. or that much space on any ITX cabinet
So my only other option was to build a desk with my entire system inside it. This alone proved to be a challenge.
as i am not a designer and had little or no idea on using SketchUP or any of the design softwares. It took me about 5 days to plan everything in my head then watched some tutorials on youtube for using sketchup and off i went. took me about 10 more days to finalize on the design below and I would like to find out if you guys can think of something i haven't thought off. And also ask if you guys would be interested in a Build Log for this DeskPC.

Here are some images of the Desk built using SketchUp

oMv30eYl.png

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/gaYa6#0

Keyboard will be kept on the table or slider will be present for this and mouse ? And any router or modem to place on table

Last edited:
Amazed to know that you learned to do this drawing just recently. Good job!

Have you shown this idea to a carpenter? Do you have someone who is going to help you with the woodwork?

Just curious, Why a pair of fans in facing the bottom? DeskPC builds generally have one on either sides of the table.

How do you plan to open and close the table in case it needs maintenance? Why the strange edges on the right side of the table

Looks solid. Anyways some things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure you keep the build as neat and clean as possible as dust will be a NIGHTMARE for these kind of builds and trust me theres nothing more depressing that looking through that window and seeing dusty parts. The main reason why I abandoned my desk is because it required cleaning every 3 weeks. I dont know how dusty your room is, but mine was bad enough for me to give up the project on maintenance alone. Also, you need dust filters over the radiator or you may see dust on the top of your glass window in a week or two.

2. Consider laying the gpu sideways along the bottom end of the motherboard. You will need a PCIe extension cable and something to prop it up slightly (so it doesn't block the front panel pins) but it look absolutely awesome. PM me if you need one of these cables. I ordered one and got 2 by mistake. I'll give you them if you can pay for shipping.

3. MEASURE all cable lengths.
- I can see that the PSU power cables won't be able to reach the hard drive bays and maybe even the SSDs if you try to route them under the motherboard. You will need to extend them with new cables or open the connectors on your PSU and add more cable to it (easiest option but its bye bye warranty for the PSU). If you want new calbes will need to import the connectors+cable or contact somebody to make the cables as you cannot get extension cables for the sata drives easily in India.
- Also, you may be cutting it fine with the SATA data cables if you route those from under the motherboard too - remember sata data cables are usually 30-45cms. The limit is 1m but cables above 45cms are difficult to find again.
- Same issue for the power cables for fans on the extreme left but those cables can be easily made so thats not a problem.

4. I see you've used Altec Lansing VS2421 as reference for the speakers. Is that what you are going to use because I have the same thing and I had cable length problems with that too. If you keep it where it is in your images, you won't be able to push it too far on the right of the table. Again measure and see for sure.

5. Is the height of table correct? Have you compared it to similar sized tables and will your computer chair fit underneath it if thats what your plan is? Don't forget to include the handrests of your chair in the chair height during measurement.

6. Why the extra space on the left and right sides of the table? Why not pull it in slightly on both sides.

7. How are you going to power it on? I see you have ideas for the USB, but power? Theres an easier solution. Try sourcing parts from old cabinets like for example - Elite 431 or Elite 110. Notice how the usb3, audio/mic, power, reset are one single part? That one part alone could be enough for your build. You could try sourcing it if you ask CM nicely and offer to pay for it. If you import it you'll surely get it but I didn't have the patience for that so I asked around a bit and got the front panel for Elite 335 for free from CM. It wasn't what I wanted, but I was able to stick the power button where the blank firewire spot is and it worked as a reasonably good power button and I had the rest of the connectors that I wanted.

Edit: PM/quote me if you need any help.

Just curious, Why a pair of fans in facing the bottom? DeskPC builds generally have one on either sides of the table.

How do you plan to open and close the table in case it needs maintenance? Why the strange edges on the right side of the table

The fans at the bottom are for exhaust.. the fans on the left side of the table is for intake. the right side would be up against the wall so no place to exhaust air out hence at the bottom.
I haven't decided on how the opening / closing mechanism will work for now i am thinking of using Hydraulic pumps to lift it up or using detachable hinges to lift it up & keep the top aside for servicing.
The only edge on the right side of the table is due to the corner of the wall where it will be placed. this system will be close to the window and i've given that cut so that roman blinds that will be installed on the widow will work properly. the same cut is on the other side of the window on the wadrobe as well.

Looks solid. Anyways some things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure you keep the build as neat and clean as possible as dust will be a NIGHTMARE for these kind of builds and trust me theres nothing more depressing that looking through that window and seeing dusty parts. The main reason why I abandoned my desk is because it required cleaning every 3 weeks. I dont know how dusty your room is, but mine was bad enough for me to give up the project on maintenance alone. Also, you need dust filters over the radiator or you may see dust on the top of your glass window in a week or two.

Dust will definitely be an issue, But I regularly clean my systems every month anyways. with an A/c in the room it should be a little less dusty.

2. Consider laying the gpu sideways along the bottom end of the motherboard. You will need a PCIe extension cable and something to prop it up slightly (so it doesn't block the front panel pins) but it look absolutely awesome. PM me if you need one of these cables. I ordered one and got 2 by mistake. I'll give you them if you can pay for shipping.

I do have PCI Extension cables like 10 of them :p i was using of Mining build. I am not 100% sure i want to place the GPU on the side... right now. but will see how it will look when i start placing components inside the table. I am not sure how good these cables are and i don't want to add more points of failures in my system.

I am also planning to paint the GPU to red... not the whole part only the one thats yellow.. as i have the same Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X GPU. anyone has any idea of the paint code for the Asus Red color. so i can get a spray can from somewhere.

3. MEASURE all cable lengths.
- I can see that the PSU power cables won't be able to reach the hard drive bays and maybe even the SSDs if you try to route them under the motherboard. You will need to extend them with new cables or open the connectors on your PSU and add more cable to it (easiest option but its bye bye warranty for the PSU). If you want new calbes will need to import the connectors+cable or contact somebody to make the cables as you cannot get extension cables for the sata drives easily in India.
- Also, you may be cutting it fine with the SATA data cables if you route those from under the motherboard too - remember sata data cables are usually 30-45cms. The limit is 1m but cables above 45cms are difficult to find again.
- Same issue for the power cables for fans on the extreme left but those cables can be easily made so thats not a problem.

Good Point. For PSU I have Corsair RM1000, i was going to get extension cables imported. these would be in red color. even though they are not easily available i can get them imported.

4. I see you've used Altec Lansing VS2421 as reference for the speakers. Is that what you are going to use because I have the same thing and I had cable length problems with that too. If you keep it where it is in your images, you won't be able to push it too far on the right of the table. Again measure and see for sure.
No that is just for reference, Mine is Altec Lansing VS4621 Octane 7 2.1 one cable is short 1 m but the other one is longer about 1.5m so it should be fine.

5. Is the height of table correct? Have you compared it to similar sized tables and will your computer chair fit underneath it if thats what your plan is? Don't forget to include the handrests of your chair in the chair height during measurement.

Height of the table would be upwards of 30 inches. around 32 or 34 inch not higher than that. yes my chair fits underneath the table not completely though. I have the tendency to sit on the chair & put my leg up on the table so its not necessary for me if the chair fits inside or not but yes it should be fine to place the chair inside the table when not in use.. although that clearance is not that important to me.

6. Why the extra space on the left and right sides of the table? Why not pull it in slightly on both sides.
that placement can be adjusted when i am marking up the design for now that how i've placed them. only the basic structure will be made ready rest of the finishing of it will take a lot of time.

7. How are you going to power it on? I see you have ideas for the USB, but power? Theres an easier solution. Try sourcing parts from old cabinets like for example - Elite 431 or Elite 110. Notice how the usb3, audio/mic, power, reset are one single part? That one part alone could be enough for your build. You could try sourcing it if you ask CM nicely and offer to pay for it. If you import it you'll surely get it but I didn't have the patience for that so I asked around a bit and got the front panel for Elite 335 for free from CM. It wasn't what I wanted, but I was able to stick the power button where the blank firewire spot is and it worked as a reasonably good power button and I had the rest of the connectors that I wanted.

I've ordered this to help power on the system. I will also be getting a few leds for hdd activity - the power switch is already a led one so i don't need power led. these will reside either at the front or on the top i am not sure where. if on the top i'll have to make a socket. so that when i remove the top panel the switch unplugs itself.

sku_292499_1.jpg

This was available from DX.com'

There are alot of things i still need to watch out for but i think over all this is what i have to make it work. I have all the hardware needed for the build but things like
1. Hard Drive Bays (Don't know where to source these)
2. PSU Extension cable
3. Power / Reset Cable (Will be custom made by my cousin for that push button)
4. LEDs (will be custom made by my cousin)
5. Motherboard & PCI Back panel (Dont know where to source these)
6. Honeycomb Grill for fans with filter (Dont know where to source these)
7. Way to lift up the top for maintenance ( thinking of using Hydraulics or detachable hinges)

for motherboard and PCI back plane, Hard drive cage, honeycomb grills and power and reset cables I recommend buying a cheap cabinet which supports your motherboard size and rip everything off it. Even an old one will do since you can paint it to your liking afterwards. This will require some rivet removing and grinding skills

There are alot of things i still need to watch out for but i think over all this is what i have to make it work. I have all the hardware needed for the build but things like
1. Hard Drive Bays (Don't know where to source these)
2. PSU Extension cable
3. Power / Reset Cable (Will be custom made by my cousin for that push button)
7. Way to lift up the top for maintenance ( thinking of using Hydraulics or detachable hinges)

@rakesh_sharma23 might help you with these. He built a custom wooden cabinet and he keeps modding almost everything.

1. For PSU I have Corsair RM1000, i was going to get extension cables imported. these would be in red color. even though they are not easily available i can get them imported.
2. I've ordered this to help power on the system. I will also be getting a few leds for hdd activity - the power switch is already a led one so i don't need power led.
3. Hard Drive Bays (Don't know where to source these)

1. Then you're in luck. Since its a modular psu, you can open up the supplied cables and add extra wire between the two points to make sure everything fits and reaches. That won't look neat though. If you want really nice cables consider making and braiding your own cables which isn't difficult but is time consuming especially since you'll need to import the connectors and sleeve. You can also try asking someone to make them for you- I believe someone on this forum sleeves cables, but I can't remember who did it. Even then you can ask someone on reddit or overclock.net and they'll make cables fro you to the exact color or length that you require.

2. I'm not sure about the power button. I managed to get one of those metal push buttons locally and it didn't work for me. The PC would come on and immediately go off. I don't know if it was the button and I didn't want to wait a month for dx to deliver a button when I wasn't sure about it, so I settled for a simple push button assembly that testers use.

3. As someone suggested above try ripping one from an old cabinet but that will require some metal working to look neat and clean. You could try sourcing a removable HDD cage that premium cases use but that might be expensive as would buying from dx. Maybe you could see if you could source hdd trays from old server builds from offices or something - just an idea.

4. LEDS as in led strips right? Thats actually very easy. You can get a 5metres for 200 bucks and it comes with adhesive at the bottom so you can stick it anywhere, furthermore it requires 12v which is EXACTLY what your PSU supplies so you don't need an adapter or anything. Just take the yellow and black from a molex and connect it to the red and black of the led strip and it'll work perfect.

5. Don't know about the PCI backpanel - would recommend you rip this from an old cabinet too but that would require metal working skills again. Motherboard backpanel you can get made - take a blank wooden/metal/acrylic sheet and punch holes in appropriate places. You can find the hole placement easily online. What you do need are the standoffs that keep it grounded - this too can be stolen from an old cabinet or you can buy them for cheap.

6. Honeycomb sounds a little tricky. Why not get a honeycomb grille cut to size and attach it to a simple dust filter like this? Also if you need structural stability you can get an aluminium made dust filter which well hold up well, but I don't know whether they will corrode if you wash them.

7. I suggest you need to talk your carpenter more about this. Show him cabinet bars as an example to nudge him in the right direction.

2. I had previously experimented with power button externally. I managed to get the one which is used in TV. And it worked superb and it also gave the feel of powering On something heavy machinery sort of gadget.

You can easily DIY for leds. You can put fancy led colors but unique in combination. Aliexpress is your best and cheap source for it.

3. Hdd bays can be sourced from old cabby and modded further. Pull out the hdd rack itself and then cut or mount as required.

7. You will have to go with the usual box design. Put acrylic sheet for transparency and openable door type lid but light material like fibre which matches to your furniture or tables design.
Pure wooden lid is a strict no as it will be heavy to lift and in hurry might hurt you or damage something in and around.
I have this funda installed in my wardrobe hence suggesting to go for fibre.

I planned similar idea years ago but never took off, sadly. But then had gathered some websites to source all the stuff. Will hunt those sites and update you.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys

Update: Just ordered all the wooden materials today.. will start the build tomorrow.
I could not source any drive cages & urgently looking for one.
Rest of the stuff is designed measured to fit correctly.

Will post pics as soon as things start to materialize.

Back