Budget 41-50k Customac Mini Deluxe Build suggestions needed!!

Raghav_K

Disciple
I'm in need of a small form factor work pc (not very intensive), and i decided to go for a mac mini at first. But it has a slow hard drive and replacing it voids warranty, so i decided to go for a hackintosh build instead.

These are the parts i have in mind:

Monitor - dell s2240l
Motherboard - Gigabyte h97 mini itx
Processor - Core i5 4690 ( Core i3 would do, but the price difference is not very big)
Cabinet - Cooler Master elite 110/130

I need help to choose these:

PSU - i thought of antec bp 300, i need suggestions on alternatives if i'm not able to find it

RAM - Need 8 gb of ram, The build suggestion page at tonymacx86 says to go for crucial ballistic tactial, but i want to cheap out here and go for a budget ram with good performance

SSD - need 256 gb and i have no clue about what to buy

Please help me decide on these, and thanks for looking!! :)

1. What is your budget?
    • 40 - 50 K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel core i5 4690
    • Motherboard - gigabyte h97 itx
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final, for a year or so
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Chennai
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

• None
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • None
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1920 * 1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8.1 64 bit
    • Hackintosh

Building the same thing, a Hackintosh and windows PC. Like exact. My needs are Video editing, picture editing etc.
Except the CPU i'm considering is the i7 4790 and the i5 4690.

Mobo is also the same -> Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H

For HDD Im considering Two 120gb SSD's for each OS to keep Hackintosh's instability from affecting work. Not much difference from 250gb's performance and will add a 1tb later in a while.

Monitor - Dell S2240L . It seems like the only choice. Looks okay. Very glossy. But only when off. So thinkin its okay.
Im going for multimonitor setup and the edge to edge glass is pretty sexy. Just wondering if its too small.

Cabinet I was considering was Cooler Master N200 Advance

i finished my setup and have a successful hackintosh!

I went with ga-h97n-wifi mini itx motherboard, core i5 4690, samsung evo 250gb ssd, corsair venegeance 8 gb ram, antec vp450p psu, cooler master elite 130 cabinet.

Prices: (Chennai)

Cooler master elite 130 - 3600
GA - H97N -Wifi - 9200
Core i5 4690 - 16200
Corsair Vengeance 4gb * 2 - 4600
Samsung Evo 250gb ssd - 8200
Antec vp450p - 2400

Im planning to get a LG matte ips monitor, haven't decided on the model yet!!

Pics:

customac 2.jpg
customac 3.jpg
customac 4.jpg
customac 1.jpg

Prices: (Chennai)

Cooler master elite 130 - 3600
GA - H97N -Wifi - 9200
Core i5 4690 - 16200
Corsair Vengeance 4gb * 2 - 4600
Samsung Evo 250gb ssd - 8200
Antec vp450p - 2400

Im planning to get a LG matte ips monitor, haven't decided on the model yet!!

Pics:

View attachment 58058 View attachment 58059 View attachment 58060 View attachment 58061
Woah looks good!

Was the wifi on that motherboard compatible directly? Does it have like antennas or something? I was thinking of a 7k motherboard and a pci wifi card to go with separately. One that's compatible. Till then i have the usb dongles from my current hackintosh. But it needs a separate junky app.

The mobo has a inbuilt wifi+bluetooth moule. Bluetooth works OOB, wifi doesn't. Have to put a seperate wifi card for ~ 2000, but i haven't done that yet!!

Ya, i wanted a mini itx build, so i went with this.. If you are okay with micro atx, you can probably go for ga-h97m-d3h motherboard

Ya, i wanted a mini itx build, so i went with this.. If you are okay with micro atx, you can probably go for ga-h97m-d3h motherboard
Yeah going with the same! Mini itx looks way too cramped :|[DOUBLEPOST=1435409432][/DOUBLEPOST]
get 200rs USB dongle. Works fine.
They dont run out off the box with the inbuilt one. Have to use a different utility. Also signal issues. If you will be using it a lot you want something solid, best to get a proper one. These have multiple antennas.

Yeah going with the same! Mini itx looks way too cramped :|[DOUBLEPOST=1435409432][/DOUBLEPOST]
They dont run out off the box with the inbuilt one. Have to use a different utility. Also signal issues. If you will be using it a lot you want something solid, best to get a proper one. These have multiple antennas.
Different utility yes. Unstable? No, fcking no. If you don't know how to configure, don't blame the dongle.

Different utility yes. Unstable? No, fcking no. If you don't know how to configure, don't blame the dongle.

By any chance, was this a Mediatek or Realtek dongle - have faced an issue once with a Mac in office. However, we got the internal WiFi fixed, so smooth sailing.

Whats the advantage?

Well using cards which get natively recognized as airport, you can be sure that os x updates wont break it. That's one less kernel panic to worry about, and in addition most of the generic apple wireless cards have wireless ac + bluetooth. Also it will work in the recovery mode. Plus seems handoff and continuity will work only with native support (but never tried them)

Nothing life changing, but just a tad better than cheapo dongles.

I think you can go for Intel Laptop modules if you want BT + WiFi else el cheapo TP Link card.

Intel bluetooth works, wifi doesn't

Last edited:
Well using cards which get natively recognized as airport, you can be sure that os x updates wont break it. That's one less kernel panic to worry about, and in addition most of the generic apple wireless cards have wireless ac + bluetooth. Also it will work in the recovery mode. Plus seems handoff and continuity will work only with native support (but never tried them)
Never tried continuity, so can't comment. However I don't see why it shouldn't work.

You are using unibeast/multibeast, your OS X will always break anyways whenever you do an update.

WiFi dongle works fine in recovery mode also.

Back