Custom Duty on Mobiles increased to 18.18%

avi

Skilled
Received an email from SnS, notifying:

The duty rate on mobile phones has increased to 18.18% on the assessable value.

:mad:

But I don't remember there being an increase in custom duty in the budget. Plus no such indication from PPOBox yet.

Well unless u buy a note 4 for 800$ I don't see that happening
if you have brought phones on SnS you would know that they charge customs on the price of the new phones retail value in India irrespective of the price you paid for it new or used! So they would charge customs duty at 45-50 odds K that the note 4 retails in India-around 10K !even though I would buy it for around 400$+shipping charges around Rs 2000.total cost around 40k!that would make no economic sense!

if you have brought phones on SnS you would know that they charge customs on the price of the new phones retail value in India irrespective of the price you paid for it new or used! So they would charge customs duty at 45-50 odds K that the note 4 retails in India-around 10K !even though I would buy it for around 400$+shipping charges around Rs 2000.total cost around 40k!that would make no economic sense!
When i asked a customs officer this question he said duty is based on the price you paid + landing costs.

if you have the paperwork there is no issue, otherwise ....

Back