Budget 0-20k CPU + Mobo

Emil

Skilled
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • Flexible. Budget is not a strict limit but I don't want to throw money away either.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD Athlon X2 3600
    • Motherboard - some Jetway Mobo
    • GPU - onboard
    • RAM - Kingston 2X1GB PC6400
    • Monitor - Viewsonic 19"
    • PSU - VIP Gold 400
    • Cabinet - Zebronics Bijli?
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • All except CPU, Mobo, RAM and perhaps PSU
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - please suggest (Pentium, i3, i5, AMD?)
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard with onboard GPU (CPU/Mobo)
    • RAM - 8 GB
    • PSU - A good reliable PSU which is reasonably priced
    • SSD - 128 GB
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai, Pune
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • I might consider if not too old and the deal is sweet
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • MS Office
    • Might run a VM
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Certainly no games now or in the future
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1440x900 could be higher in future
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Definitely No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8 64 bit (Win 10 in future)
My present configuration is quite old and slow by present standards. I need more speed. I am specially looking for fast bootup.

• CPU - Intel Core i5 4440 -12500,
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,
  • RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -4000,
  • PSU - Seasonic S12II 430w -3800,
  • SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 120GB -5500.
  • TOTAL -31,300.

Thanks @bssunil .
Does that Mobo have WLAN onboard?
Isn't there a cheaper H81? Mobo that should work for me? What would I lose if I went for the H81?
Is that a single 8GB stick? Would it be better to use 2 x 4GB?

Last edited:
How about a configuration with the best non-overclocking Pentium G3xxx? I suppose even that will be several orders of magnitude faster than my current AMD 64 3600 based system right?

How about a configuration with the best non-overclocking Pentium G3xxx? I suppose even that will be several orders of magnitude faster than my current AMD 64 3600 based system right?
  • CPU - Intel Pentium G 3220 -4300,
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte H81M-S1 -3500,
  • RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -4000,
  • PSU - Seasonic S12II 430w -3800,
  • SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 120GB -5500.
  • TOTAL -20,700.

Ah! That sounds good.
In terms of computing power for simple, non-gaming processing tasks, how would we rate my present AMD 64 x2 3600 2 GB RAM system against the above proposed G3220 and i5 systems in terms of ratio of computing power?
Taking my existing system as 1 unit, can we put an approximate number for the G3220 and i5 - 4th gen? Is there a Pentium faster than the 3220, like 3240 or something?

Ah! That sounds good.
In terms of computing power for simple, non-gaming processing tasks, how would we rate my present AMD 64 x2 3600 2 GB RAM system against the above proposed G3220 and i5 systems in terms of ratio of computing power?
Taking my existing system as 1 unit, can we put an approximate number for the G3220 and i5 - 4th gen? Is there a Pentium faster than the 3220, like 3240 or something?
No...

Bumping up my old thread. Did not buy last year.
Can I have updated VFM configs with Pentium, i3 and i5 please? Only change in requirement is that it will be Win 10 now.

Hehe! Sorry @Jarvis @vyral_143 , changing the suggestion!
Antec VP450W - 3k

CIRCLE CG Raw Power 450W APFC 80 Plus Bronze - 3k
Seasonic ECO 430W 80 Plus Bronze - 3.1k

Last edited:
Thanks @aKp1 and @vyral_143
  1. Isn't that Amazon combo price much higher than the individual 3 components?
  2. That mobo has VGA only. Can you suggest a mobo with DVI (my present monitor connection) and HDMI for future use?
  3. How about Asrock H110M-HDV? Is it OK?
  4. How about ECS H110M4-C43?
  5. Will i3 6100 give me a significant performance advantage?

Last edited:
1) Yes! Actually! Split it up!
2) ASRock B150M Pro4V
3) Looks good but better then go with B150
4) If suffices your needs! I would like to go with Asrock, Asus, MSi!
5) Yep! But will screw with your budget! By 4k!

1) Yes! Actually! Split it up!
2) ASRock B150M Pro4V
3) Looks good but better then go with B150
4) If suffices your needs! I would like to go with Asrock, Asus, MSi!
5) Yep! But will screw with your budget! By 4k!
I guess that would be far more expensive than a H110 chipset board. What advantage would it have for me?
While budget is not a constraint here, I don't want to spend without getting value for my need.

Last edited:
I guess that would be far more expensive than a H110 chipset board. What advantage would it have for me?
While budget is not a constraint here, I don't want to spend without getting value for my need.
H110 - 2 ram slots, fewer usb 3.0s, fewer sata connectors!

If what you are going to use this computer for doesn't require any specific features, then you can go with H110!
Otherwise the major differences are the Intel technologies, ram slots, pcie configurations, etc.!

And it is 1.5k difference on this mobo! The price is from amazon!
http://www.amazon.in/dp/B01FI6XJWG

Last edited:
H110 - 2 ram slots, fewer usb 3.0s, fewer sata connectors!

If what you are going to use this computer for doesn't require any specific features, then you can go with H110!
Otherwise the major differences are the Intel technologies, ram slots, pcie configurations, etc.!
Thanks. I need 2 RAM sockets (one for now and one possibly for future), 4 Sata connectors (3 for now and 1 possibly for future), 6 USBs [for my wireless keyboard/mouse receiver, wifi dongle, pendrives/memcard reader (max 2 slots at the same time) and perhaps another 2 spare for future needs]

Thanks. I need 2 RAM sockets (one for now and one possibly for future), 4 Sata connectors (3 for now and 1 possibly for future), 6 USBs [for my wireless keyboard/mouse receiver, wifi dongle, pendrives/memcard reader (max 2 slots at the same time) and perhaps another 2 spare for future needs]
Then H110 will be sufficient! But check if the DVi, HDMi and other display connectors which you want are available or not! All are available on B150!

Then H110 will be sufficient! But check if the DVi, HDMi and other display connectors which you want are available or not! All are available on B150!
The Asrock H110M-HDV seems to have all 3.
Anyone can suggest a reliable shop in Pune where I can get the components at decent prices?[DOUBLEPOST=1472471973][/DOUBLEPOST]Or is it better to buy at Lamington Road? Which shop?

Last edited:
Back