OC & Modding Corsair H60 (2013 edition) - Unboxing and mini pictorial-review

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Earlier this year, Corsair introduced some new coolers (H55, H90, H110) to their existing Hydro series lineup and revamped some of their older models (H60, H80, H100). The Hydro series of LCLC (low-cost liquid cooling) systems have been extremely well received among the enthusiast overclockers and critics alike. Considerably less expensive, lesser installation efforts, good reliability, excellent thermal and noise performance and Corsair's proven track record have given them an edge so far over the manufacturers with similar units viz. Cooler Master and Antec.

It is also noteworthy that Corsair (unlike several other manufacturers), takes into account the feedback received from the users and the community forums and implements them in the future revisions of the product. The results? Improved reliability and performance, user satisfaction. The H60 has underwent many changes as a result of this feedback. I managed to click a few snaps while I was unboxing the unit and installing it.

Specifications:

Radiator dimensions: 120 mm (W) x 152 mm (L) x 27 mm (T)
Radiator material: Aluminium
Socket compatibility: AMD AM2, AM3, FM1; Intel LGA 1150, LGA 1155/1156, LGA 1366, LGA 2011
Tubing: Low Evaporation Rubber
Coolant: Distilled water with Propylene Glycol

Fan specifications:
  • Max RPM: 2000 RPM
  • CFM: 54 CFM
  • Dimensions: 120 mm x 120 mm x 25 mm
  • Connection: 4-pin PWM
  • Fan Noise: 30.85 dBA
IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

The recycled egg-box type casing and not the usual styrofoam/polystyrene (more eco-friendly and easily biodegradable - Good job Corsair!):

IMG_0910.JPG

Contents:

1. Radiator with the CPU block-pump unit
2. 120 mm x 25 mm fan
3. Intel installation kit with a backplate (backplate isn't applicable for LGA 2011 boards because they come pre-installed with a top-plate)
4. AMD installation kit
5. Screws and mounts
6. Installation guide
7. Corsair's product lineup leaflet

IMG_0921.JPG

The bundled fan undergoes a change over the previous version and is similar in appearance to their Air series lineup. In case you missed, I have listed the specifications of the fan at the start!

IMG_0936.JPG

The fan has a 4-pin connector with PWM control:

IMG_0992.JPG

Radiator remains all the more same but the tubes have changed from the previous version:

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

The fins had a few bends but nothing major:

IMG_0965.JPG

The CPU block-pump unit has changed over the previous version and looks very similar to their H80i/H100i offering except that it doesn't have a USB connectivity nor does the Corsair logo have the user-changeable RGB glow using the Corsair Link application. The top of the block has a plastic cover applied.

The block also has magnetic attachments on the diagonally opposite ends of the edges which attaches the top plate to itself once it is in the vicinity of the block - another thoughtful idea! The top plates are also symmetrical so they can be inserted in any way.

IMG_0977.JPG

The pump has a regular 3-pin connector:

IMG_0984.JPG

The base of the CPU block has thermal paste pre-applied and is protected using a hard-plastic cover:

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

The fasteners:

IMG_1012.JPG

Just a pointer - I wasn't able to use the supplied washers (4 nos.) when installing the fan on the chassis. The length of the screw fell short by a few mm and as a result it wouldn't screw into the radiator's internal threading. Might have to send a mail to Corsair informing them of this.

The backplate works for both LGA 1155/1156 and LGA 1366 sockets. The hole unit moves across a small slot to match the corresponding socket holes on the motherboard.

IMG_1023.JPG

Installed within the system:

IMG_1043.JPG

I wasn't able to install the CPU block the way Corsair described in their bundled manual because the pipes were creating a lot of tension this way. Rotated the block by 90° counterclockwise and installed it. It worked just fine.

IMG_1041.JPG

Here are the results after a short run (temperatures stabilised after a while):

Core system specs.:

Processor: Intel i5 2500K (overclocked to 4.5 GHz with Intel SpeedStep enabled)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
RAM: G.Skill 2 x 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Primary Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB SSD
GPU: Sapphire HD6950 2GB (with unlocked shaders)
Power supply: Seasonic M12D 850W
Case: Lian Li PC- A71F

Idle (Intel SpeedStep and Turbo mode enabled):

Idle.jpg

Load (Prime 95 blend test):

Test.jpg

Temperatures have definitely improved over my previous air cooler. Unfortunately, I do not have the screenshots of the previous setup to compare the deltas but I do recall temperatures shooting above 75'C. And noise has considerably reduced (but four hard drives, the HD 6950's fan and the system fans pretty much spoils everything :banghead:).

Thanks for reading! :)

Nice informative review. The cabinet surely becomes de-cluttered after a WC unit is mounted. Good job.

Added some more content to the review. Also posted the idle temperatures screenshot.

The cabinet surely becomes de-cluttered after a WC unit is mounted.

Indeed it does. Suddenly there seems to be a lot of space around the CPU socket area. :p

The chassis now has only one exhaust unfortunately. I need to work out something for adding another one to prevent the heat buildup within the case.

Hi, congrats for the purchase.
Does this have the same speed levels like the old H100 ?. Like low, medium and high ?.
If yes, at what setting have you kept it ? .
Reason for overclock?.
Sorry asking too many questions :eek:

No there is no such provision of setting the speed of the fan. The pump runs at some 4.2k rpm and the fan at some 2k rpm going by the readouts from the BIOS.

Reason for overclocking - extracting as much juice from the processor while playing games. This machine is built just for that. However, when idling it runs at 1600 MHz at 0.985V (+-0.015).

No there is no such provision of setting the speed of the fan. The pump runs at some 4.2k rpm and the fan at some 2k rpm going by the readouts from the BIOS.

You're sure about that? I can control my H80i via the CorsairLink software, though it wasn't a mandatory install.

You're sure about that? I can control my H80i via the CorsairLink software, though it wasn't a mandatory install.

Yes, that is because there is a provision of controlling the hardware through the USB cable and managing it through the CorsairLink application for the H80i and H100i. There is no such provision in the H60 or the lower end models.

Yes, that is because there is a provision of controlling the hardware through the USB cable and managing it through the CorsairLink application for the H80i and H100i. There is no such provision in the H60 or the lower end models.

Ah, alrighty! :)

Nice review also i like the cabinet and clean setup.Btw whats the damage for same?I

Apologies for the late response! Somehow overlooked the notification and this post.

This was sourced through eBay GEB and cost me Rs. 5150. Good pricing I must say! Bit a good deal.

That price is ridiculous. I got this locally from Ahmedabad for 4800 and even theitwares sells it for 4800; And its worth buying locally just for the 5 year warranty in case of leaks or a failed pump.

As for the AMD bit, yes it works perfect on my X6 system. Infact it is super easy to install as you don't need to change any backplate, it attaches straight onto the AMD socket with two screws and then 4 screws for the backpanel radiator. Temperatures are fantastic. Even under 100% load, temps barely cross 51-52 at 3.8Ghz.

Btw you can save a little and get the older H60 which has slightly higher temps, worser fan and a poor installation kit for AMD, but I don't recommend it even though Prime sells it for 4200.

Last edited:
well @ 48$ it seems worthwhile. provided some one carries it...:)

And i will not buy it / get it from chu#$%^& itwares even if he gives it away for free or gives me money to take it from him

True, but then again this isn't like one of those huge heatsinks with no moving parts. Leaks and pump failures can happen and having warranty would be a great piece of mind. Anyways I only mentioned itwares as an example, you don't have to get it from Rahul if you don't want to, more places like SMC or itdepot should have it.

I know its not about the PSU, but as I am looking for a PSU with the same processor as yours and a H100i (yet to be overclocked), can you tell me if your PSU was running on load while OCed and stress tested? If yes, what was the noise levels of the fan in this process?

True, but then again this isn't like one of those huge heatsinks with no moving parts. Leaks and pump failures can happen and having warranty would be a great piece of mind. Anyways I only mentioned itwares as an example, you don't have to get it from Rahul if you don't want to, more places like SMC or itdepot should have it.

But corsair comes with worldwide warranty?... I guess not...

@rakesh_ic i don't have the proccy in my hands yet. I have an tx650 wonder if that will be sufficient. Not ocing. One 6850 gfx card and 1x hdd Wd blue and 1x Wd green hdd.
Lol.. I got a tx 650 v2 myself. But when I am running games on ultra the PSU seems to be working extra hard resulting in a noisy fan too

Back