PC Peripherals CoolerMaster WaveMaster Silver

astrix said:
I'm not into gaming. Do you think I should have bought the GT anyway?

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ & Asus A8N-E : came to about 17500
Seagate 160gb SATA: about 4200
Simmtronics 2 x 512mb DDR400 : 4700 or so
XFX Geforce 6600 256mb: around 7800
Logitech Internet Pro keyboard / Optical mouse combo: 750 or so
Liteon DVD ROM (already have a CD writer): about 1400
Samsung 793MB: around 6800
Altec Lansing ATP3: around 2800
Antec Smartpower 400W: around 3600
Microtek 800VA: around 2300

Sorry for not posting the exact prices... don't have the invoice at hand. These are all before tax, add 4% for that

I highly recommend buying SMC International if you're in Delhi.

Sorry SunMysore, I don't have a digital camera so can't post pics
If you're not a gamer, then you could have just gotten a cheap X300 or the MSI RS480 board or something similar.

Why? It's not like only gamers would want to overclock

Although I haven't overcome my initial hesitation, I do think I'd want to take it further

astrix said:
Why? It's not like only gamers would want to overclock
If u wanna overclock then its okay :D. What is the sys gonna be used for anyway?

edit: but then for oc'ing u need better RAM than the simmtronics crap ;)

3d graphics and stuff... and general usage

I asked about it on some other forum and I was told that either I should go in for a Quadro or something (wayyy beyond budget) - or just settle for the 6600.

astrix said:
3d graphics and stuff... and general usage

I asked about it on some other forum and I was told that either I should go in for a Quadro or something (wayyy beyond budget) - or just settle for the 6600.
Well for any kind of graphics, the 6600GT is a better bet than 6600. In fact I'm geometry perf limited by the 6800GT sometimes :(.

thread 'graphics apps' on the graphic cards forum
funkymonkey said:
well, here is a bummer.
You dont need powerful graphic card for this. You need quadro if you want to make use of hardware rendering features. So get the card like 5900 that will softmod into quadro FX. This will help more than plain 6600 which as of now does not have softquadro.
Also most of the time you will be using software rendering. And for that you need a powerful CPU, so CPU should be your biggest concern and not GPU unless you have money to buy quadro.
Since I wanted a PCI Express mobo, I figured 6000 would be best... anyhow :p I don't really have regrets...

where do you get 160gb sata for even 4500?

i would really like to know , then it should be a better buy than the 120gb sata for about 4000 except maxtor costs about 3750.

astrix said:
Oh and, which utility to check temps?
Get the latest drivers. They should have a page in them called Temperature Monitor. You can check it there. Not sure if all the 6600 vanilla cards actually have the temperature probe.

i wud say its definitely high for the mobo! try keeping the side of the case open for a while and see if the mobo temp drops a bit..

i wud say its definitely high for the mobo! try keeping the side of the case open for a while and see if the mobo temp drops a bit..

Back