Budget 90k+ Config for Video Editing & Grading

gurujee

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • 90K+
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • NA
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Need All
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes/No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Video Editing + Colour Grading (Da Vinci Resolve)
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Wont play games
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 4K would be great
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10
  14. Please Note:
    initially wanted to go for Imac 27inch 5k - the one with 3.4 ghz i5. however i am fascinated with ryzen's reviews. please note that this build is for personal use and not for professional work. hence i don't want an editing beast. I intend to edit short film files - raw & prores files from blackmagic cinema camera and grade them. All i want is a capable system that can make the editing work smoother. I can compromise on rendering time. I can spend extra for a good 24" or 27" 2k or 4k monitor with good rgb colour coverage. Basically, the build is for a hobby. I don't to want to spend a fortune for a system that will be an overkill for my usage.

My suggestion is to get an affordable mac, put max ram it supports and work on that. Windows 10 is shit. Believe me. They pass out untested updates and the system stops booting randomly every month. If I had to do work on video editing etc I wouldn't take chances with WIndows now. It will boot randomly and install updates and then stall for an hour or two. Then when it restarts, it again installs updates and if you are having a deadline it will not boot. This is even worse than Windows ME imo. Damn OS even locks other hard disks which are ntfs formatted.[DOUBLEPOST=1506338919][/DOUBLEPOST]If you're adventurous, have a look here: https://www.tonymacx86.com

I think some people here have been successful in making hackintosh and using it.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to get an affordable mac, put max ram it supports and work on that. Windows 10 is shit. Believe me.

Or one can run WIndows 10 LTSB edition. But this is only available for PRO and Enterprise users, If I'm not wrong. Or one can be smart about it and disable updates permanently via registry edits.

Yes, Mac is solid but if you want some fun, better build a PC from scratch.

I don't know why some people hate win10 so much. I'm using since 2 yrs and havent yet encountered any such incidents.
Except once when my hdd was having unknown activity which was resolved by turning off some services.
In my office as well all users use win10 for PS and Max and none encountered such mentioned issues apart from some slowness which was resolved by ram upgrade and some tweaks.

Anyways its Ops choice if he wishes for mac or win.

Oh, nice, a Davinci Resolve user. So here's what you'd need -
Monitors - only one game in town here, the LG 27UD68P. Won't get a better 4K monitor in this price range. Pretty accurate at sRGB, which is close enough to Rec.709. Doesn't cover DCI-P3, but then you aren't going to show your films in theaters either. Get a second monitor - it can be cheap. It'll give you a lot of screen real estate.
RAM - You're going to need at least 24 GB for 4K work. 32 GB preferably, of course. 16 GB leads to some slow downs when the clips thumbnails are loading from RAW etc.; or when there are intense effects.
CPU - Multi-threaded is key. Go with a Ryzen 7 1700X since you aren't overclocking.
GPU - Is crucial for Resolve if you're doing some advanced grading. Vega 56 is an absolute monster at Resolve, but I guess for your usage something like a RX 580 or GTX 1060 will suffice. Avoid the 3 GB 1060 though.
SSD - If you really want to grade RAW 4K files, you are going to need to run it all of a SSD. You could also look at RAID HDDs, which could be a cheaper option, but may not be as reliable.

ProRes is much easier to deal with, of course.

Lastly, Mac machines are no good for serious 4K colour grading in Davinci Resolve. There simply isn't a machine powerful enough. The iMac Pro will finally change that, but obviously that's a future product way out of your budget. You won't get drivers for the modern GPUs needed for 4K even if you build a Hackintosh. I'd recommend Windows 10 Pro if you want control over your updates etc.

Thanks so much for the detailed guidance. I won't be grading 4k raw.. only 1080 CinemaDNG raw for now. I want 4k monitor for an efficient workspace and to be future proof. What do you think of the new i5 8th gen processors...should it be chosen over the ryzen ?

Are you a professional.May I know your work computer' config.

Oh, nice, a Davinci Resolve user. So here's what you'd need -
Monitors - only one game in town here, the LG 27UD68P. Won't get a better 4K monitor in this price range. Pretty accurate at sRGB, which is close enough to Rec.709. Doesn't cover DCI-P3, but then you aren't going to show your films in theaters either. Get a second monitor - it can be cheap. It'll give you a lot of screen real estate.
RAM - You're going to need at least 24 GB for 4K work. 32 GB preferably, of course. 16 GB leads to some slow downs when the clips thumbnails are loading from RAW etc.; or when there are intense effects.
CPU - Multi-threaded is key. Go with a Ryzen 7 1700X since you aren't overclocking.
GPU - Is crucial for Resolve if you're doing some advanced grading. Vega 56 is an absolute monster at Resolve, but I guess for your usage something like a RX 580 or GTX 1060 will suffice. Avoid the 3 GB 1060 though.
SSD - If you really want to grade RAW 4K files, you are going to need to run it all of a SSD. You could also look at RAID HDDs, which could be a cheaper option, but may not be as reliable.

ProRes is much easier to deal with, of course.

Lastly, Mac machines are no good for serious 4K colour grading in Davinci Resolve. There simply isn't a machine powerful enough. The iMac Pro will finally change that, but obviously that's a future product way out of your budget. You won't get drivers for the modern GPUs needed for 4K even if you build a Hackintosh. I'd recommend Windows 10 Pro if you want control over your updates etc.

The new 8th gen stuff looks much better, but Ryzen 7 1700 is still a better deal on the multi-threaded front. Will need to see more results, but i5's is 6 threads, while Ryzen 7 is 16 threads.

My rig is a Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GB RAM, Vega 56, Samsung 960 EVO + HDD RAID.

8700k goes toe to toe with 1800x forget about R7 1700.

8700k gets defeated by the R7 lineup in very few multithreaded tests, in the rest of the multithreaded tests, it either defeats the entire R7 lineup or end up being on par.

8700k is overall a better choice than the entire R7 lineup.

If you are into gaming, 8700k comes on the top, if you are into video encoding, 8700k comes on the top, if you are into compressing stuff, 8700k comes on top, If you are into media creation and color grading, 8700k comes on top etc etc.

The drawbacks with going with Coffeelake platform would be that, you may have to upgrade your motherboard aswell if you would think of upgrading after 2 yrs and 8700k runs very hot.

Last edited:
Back