PC Peripherals Computer turned off randomly. Won't boot.

ashrr

Adept
I'm typing this on mobile so please bear with me.

A few weeks ago I'd purchased a Gtx 970 from the US.

My rig was an i5 2500, Intel DH67BL motherboard, 8 gigs Corsair Vengeance RAM and a Seasonic S12 520w PSU. I was told I'd be fine even with the added draw of the new card.

Well, yesterday I got the card in my hands and it didn't fit my cabinet at all so I had to go out and buy a new one, a Deepcool Tesseract.

One by one I assembled everything, looking at manuals and YouTube videos and even got some decent cable management going. I also replaced my old power cables and surge protector.

The PC booted on first try and everything seemed to run fine. I fired up the Witcher 3 and I felt like I had slightly low fps. My friend with a similar rig advised me to update the BIOS since everything else was up to date. I did that and checked the game again, this time with Afterburner monitoring temperature, usage and FPS. I was getting 55-60 on Ultra with a GPU usage of 99%. Lowering a few settings made the frame rate rock solid at 60 fps and usage went down to about 70%. Temperature was around the 80C mark if I remember correctly. Recorded a small clip using Shadowplay and it worked fine. I was happy.

Then I alt tabbed to check Facebook for a bit when my the computer randomly shut down and didn't boot up at all. I waited around twenty minutes and tried again, no luck.

Since then I've tried the following:

Replacing power cables
Unplugging GPU
Reconnecting CPU and 24 pin connectors
The "paper clip" trick, albeit with a wire.

No luck. The fans don't spin even slightly. The motherboard LED inside comes on when I connect the cables to the PSU, but it stays on even after I turn the switch off to the O position, only to go away on its own minutes later.

I'm suspecting the PSU is the problem, but here's where it gets slightly complicated. I had a similar issue a few months ago when my computer didn't boot. Took it to a repair shop and they told me it was a problem with the motherboard and fixed it for me. It worked for a while but honestly, I think I got ripped off there because it didn't boot again a few weeks later. This time it was just the power connector from the case's front panel going bad. I fixed that myself by rewiring it to the reset button to turn on the computer. Everything worked okay for a few months until one day my old GPU just failed while I was playing a game of dota. I took it to another guy who tested everything. He said the PSU was fine but the GPU had failed. The computer booted and ran okay without the GPU.

I thought buying a new GPU would solve everything. Turns out it didn't. Now I don't know if it's my PSU or the motherboard or God forbid, my brand new GPU.

I think the PSU is at the source of all problems starting from the issues with the Mobo.Can you source an el cheapo PSU from someone else and try it on the machine albeit without the GTX 970 just to check if the mobo hasn't been damaged.

I think the PSU is at the source of all problems starting from the issues with the Mobo.Can you source an el cheapo PSU from someone else and try it on the machine albeit without the GTX 970 just to check if the mobo hasn't been damaged.

I tried to do that but sadly, the only friend who even knows what a PSU is has gone out of town for a few weeks.

1.unplug all cables for 10 min
2.reset the cmos
3.do not plug in hdd power cable or accessories
4.if pc boots then you need a psu with more power.
5.if still problem persists try the psu mono on a friend's pc and find out when component is the problem.

I tried to do that but sadly, the only friend who even knows what a PSU is has gone out of town for a few weeks.
That method only might report something useful. Is any component of the power 'system' defective? That can be answered in minutes using a meter, some requested instructions, and then posting those numbers here. Then the fewer who know what those many 'system' components do can say what is suspect or exonerated ... without any more speculation.

A good PSU can act defective in some systems. A defective PSU can boot and run a system for months or even a year. Just a few reasons why swapping is not a very good diagnostic procedure. Numbers from a meter can even identify a defective PSU before it starts causing failures.

Surprisingly your seasonic wasnt able to hold the load of your pc where it should have supported it easily.[DOUBLEPOST=1461752571][/DOUBLEPOST]Try Prim95 to run it for overnight at stock settings and see the results the next day. If no bsods/reboots/shutdowns then it should be aOk.
Then test from minor gaming to heavy ones. Before that try running HD movie and simultaneously do other stuff except gaming and if all works good then you can proceed the game way.

What model and make?
The same Seasonic but 620w.

As for the old PSU, I don't think it was the wattage that was an issue. I had some serious power issues during the floods last year in Chennai where my spike buster blew up and my motherboard stopped working. Maybe the PSU also got damaged then?

Back