Budget 0-20k Computer to connect to my TV

srikanthuk

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model) None
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - NA
    • PSU - None Available
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • None Decided
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Nope Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Mumbai
    • TE Dealer as well
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • HTPC for my basic 4k TV
    • Browsing
    • Video Streaming from Sony Liv, Netflix, Amazon Prime
    • Watching HD or occasional 4k movies by streaming from a plex server.
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • I'm good with everything. Just want the PSU to be from a good brand so that does not damage components
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • None, may use Steam Inhouse streaming if i am really bored and want to try fighting games but that will be rare
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - NA
    2. Desktop - 4k
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 Most probably unless someone can recommend something else
    I basically had a almost failing laptop connected to my desktop monitor while my main system was connected to the TV. The almost failing laptop failed so my desktop went back to desktop duties. So need something to stream videos from my plex, sony liv, netflix etc and i need it cheap.

Last edited:
any good amlogic 905/915 android box will do then. all of them have dlna streaming capabilities and can play 4k hevc (the new ones with 3GB ram).

Netflix will only play in 720p max in browser i think. I didn't try their app or free one month trial because they were asking for cc.

amazon prime plays in HD - depends on your network connection speed. I think minimum 4Mbps is required for 720p playback. On 2Mbps it shows dvd like quality.
Youtube, you can play upto 1080p if your isp does youtube caching where you get ~40Mbps speeds on youtube or google sites.

Sonyliv app works well. Good HD quality even on live cricket matches.

for browsing you can use chrome / firefox from google playstore. extra thing you will require is a wifi keyboard with touchpad to connect to the box so that you can type properly in it. with touchpad, you can swipe to browse up/down etc.

the only games you can play are the android games available on play store. I'll search and see if i can find any android box that supports 4k youtube playback.

This Meecool box does 4k youtube.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_1592323.html?wid=21

Last edited:
any good amlogic 905/915 android box will do then. all of them have dlna streaming capabilities and can play 4k hevc (the new ones with 3GB ram).

Netflix will only play in 720p max in browser i think. I didn't try their app or free one month trial because they were asking for cc.

amazon prime plays in HD - depends on your network connection speed. I think minimum 4Mbps is required for 720p playback. On 2Mbps it shows dvd like quality.
Youtube, you can play upto 1080p if your isp does youtube caching where you get ~40Mbps speeds on youtube or google sites.

for browsing you can use chrome / firefox from google playstore. extra thing you will require is a wifi keyboard with touchpad to connect to the box so that you can type properly in it. with touchpad, you can swipe to browse up/down etc.

the only games you can play are the android games available on play store. I'll search and see if i can find any android box that supports 4k youtube playback.

This Meecool box does 4k youtube.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_1592323.html?wid=21

Hmmm was looking for a pc because everyone at home would be familiar with the interface (have a Logitech wireless keyboard with dongle already with me) plus the steam in home streaming option.

Netflix came out accidently, I need it for Amazon prime mainly and have a 20 Mbps connection

Can you give me an example of a box recommended by you available in India. Have never tried these Android boxes so have no idea. Would be nice to learn something new as well. Though the first option would be a pc.

Ohh 4k is really not a necessity plus my home network has gigabit LAN setup done now.[DOUBLEPOST=1517242699][/DOUBLEPOST]How would an i3 4150 with 4GB ram suit my needs?

Last edited:
If you already have that i3 pc lying around, then go ahead and use it. It is a bit overkill for the job though.

If you're planning to buy it new, then why?
Why would you want to spend 8k on an end of life product? That processor is 4th Gen. Its TDP is 54W. Plus you will spend another 4k on old motherboard and another 5k on yet another old generation ram. you want to spend 16k on 3-4 year old products?

Compare it to the android box. Itstdp is less than 7W even while playing 4K videos. There's no learning curve on these devices. Its just like using any android tablet but with a keyboard for input and your tv screen for output. All this in a palm sized box. Best thing is it costs much less than a pc.

I saw this zidoo box available on Amazon India for 9k. Its available for 6.3k on chinese sites.

This guy regularly reviews android boxes plus answers questions on which box to buy. His review of the zidoo box. I got the Beelink 905 box after asking him. I think you should get the 912 chipset box - either beelink or meecool.

$99 - https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_687065.html

Rs8999- https://www.amazon.in/Microware-All-round-Monster-Smartcolor-Bluetooth4-1/dp/B0793PJZRN/

The idea in and of itself is interesting, but what's the point of it I still haven't understood. Is there any point in it at all? Cause I can't understand it.

what do you use for sonyliv, it is truly crappy - i have a premium subscription and 100mbit internet, yet the quality is crappy, hence asking..

i use their android app. at first the quality is crappy, but after a minute or two it becomes good. not 1080p or hdtv quality. max is like 720p or something. even i'm seeing lots of pixellation sometimes.

what do you use for sonyliv, it is truly crappy

I use their iOS app to cast it on Chromecast 2. Though app itself is not great, it gets job done. Stream quality gets 720p in sometime. This time varies for some shows and cricket match.

Back