Commuting within city in mountain bike ?

Is it a good idea to commute within city in mountain bike, or should i buy a new city bike ??

i had been using the same mountain bike for cycling activities, some offroad+ onroad, but from now i am planning to use cycle as means of commuting within the city :)

my current ride :D :D

upland_m5015_m5015.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing stops you from using the current bike for city riding, as you are habituated with this one there will be hardly any difference. Earlier I had a mountain bike which I used to ride to my office. For last six months I changed to a city bike (thinner wheels and easy maneuverability). It provided me faster speed with lesser effort but prone to skidding especially in sandy parts of the road. But I am not happy with it and planning to change it back to either mountain or hybrid with slightly wider wheels.

Since you are already riding you should be the best person to decide that... For me I prefer hybrids for both offroad and onroad with 35c tires. I will get a road bike in future for pure speed.. But I can reach close to 50 km/h downhill before I feel like I am losing control so I am fine with my current hybrid...

I use a Merida 20MD.. Oh yeah tyres are not stock I prefer 35c tyres over stock 40c

Well when I go riding its normally close to 50km-80km rides so I dont go in normal shorts as I get a sore bum if I am on the saddle for 3+ hours. I use padded cycling shorts... But you are talking about commuting I do cycling as an exercise..

Since you are talking about city commuting you can always go for regular casual or even semi-formal dress. I wear khakis/denims to work place and have no problem whatsoever cycling around 15kms (there is sweating of course but deos and cologne dipped hankys take care of it). On the way I stop at few places to take care of my other sundry works and then reach office. When there is a client visit or I need to be in formals I take my car.
But if you are into exercising/building your stamina then it is a different ball game and you may need to adhere to what experts say.

So what are your requirements?
Will this be replacement for your MTB or an addition?
How much are you willing to spend?
Are you merely experimenting?
Are you okay with a single speed?
Do you want a fixie?

Any preferred brands? Any that you dislike?

Cannondale Quick 4/Trek Fx 7.3/Specialized Sirrus Sport
You cant go wrong with any of the three.

Last edited:
Stick to the MTB for commuting. We have pretty good roads here in Chandigarh and yet the 38c tires on my Schwinn Sporterra can cause discomfort. Only go for the Hybrid/Road bike if roads over which you commute are close to perfect.

Tried yesterday for approx ~~3km with jean and tees :D, and it was pretty much comfortable.

So finally decided to go along with MTB only, and yeah it will also help to hack all those pothholes :p

If money is no concern you will be better off with a hybrid. But I would have simply changed the tires of the MTB. Get the narrowest tires your wheels can take (it is usually 1.25").

If money is no concern you will be better off with a hybrid. But I would have simply changed the tires of the MTB. Get the narrowest tires your wheels can take (it is usually 1.25").

You've got a kickass bike too dude. Grace the auto zone with an ownership thread/show off thread.

Back