Codec doubt

For AVI, I don't think you would need a separate codec. VLC or PotPlayer should be able to play it. RMVB is an old format. Maybe you should convert it into a modern format.

The point is, unless you encounter such off the beat videos, there is no need of separate codecs. Codecs should only be installed on a need basis, rather than installing a codec pack beforehand. It's not a necessity.

For AVI, I don't think you would need a separate codec. VLC or PotPlayer should be able to play it. RMVB is an old format. Maybe you should convert it into a modern format.

The point is, unless you encounter such off the beat videos, there is no need of separate codecs. Codecs should only be installed on a need basis, rather than installing a codec pack beforehand. It's not a necessity.

I dont use either VLC or PotPlayer. Still using MPC. I find VLC to be resource heavy, eating CPU cycles for no good reason, and I love the stuff that you can do with MPC. Coming to potplayer - is it not the same one which claims to have a $$$ version?

Ironically, it never is a necessity, unless you need it. But I guess you are living too modern, while I still do play ancient files.

Well, I don't use VLC, since I started using PotPlayer. PotPlayer is just excellent, with lots of options, if u want to explore.

Claims to have $$$ version? What are you talking about?

You said you ripped old movie DVDs. Did you rip to AVI yourself? If you ripped them yourself, then AVI should play without problems or needing a codec. If it's a small file, can you upload it somewhere, so that I can check what kind of an AVI it is, which is requiring separate codecs.

Maybe if you used VLC or PotPlayer you won't be needing separate codecs. I am sure these players can play ancient files too.

External codecs are not really necessary. Players like PotPlayer, MPC-BE, VLC, MPDN etc. can play almost any video file.

Back