Codec doubt

Also, for videos, anything beneficial about Xvid ?
None as of now. Its a very old compression format. H264 / x264 give better quality videos in same or less size as xvid from years.
Newest codec is AV1 or Daala. Devs developing it are claiming better compression and video quality than H264 / x264. Its still in the developing stages from past few years.

If you are using players like VLC or PotPlayer, there is no need of installing extra codecs... they have built-in. You will need codecs very rarely with the modern video players.

I use PotPlayer and it forwards with 5 sec.

h265 is better.. it compresses better with better quality and reduced size. I don't have anymore technical knowledge than this lol.

I think h264 is better. HEVC or H265 is a bit bad on keeping details in dark areas. But it gives very good compression.
I'm not that much worried on what file to get since my video player MPV can play all files.

Is there any way to get skip 5/10 seconds backward and forward in VLC ?

Dont know the exact duration but I know of the following ways to seek forward/backward in VLC :-
  • Shift + left/right arrow
  • Alt + left/right arrow
  • Ctrl + left/right arrow
As far as I can remember, the duration is in increasing order in the list above..

Don't install any codecs until you need to. These codec packs might leave your system in a mess. Most modern audio and video players can play most of the formats out of the box.

Back