Video chromecast vs teewe 2 vs ????!

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
hello everyone!

the youtube app on my tv (panasonic 50vt20) expired sometime back. was looking for an alternative to play youtube vids properly since then. will then chromecast device be good to stream the vids on it? if yes, then shall quickly buy it from snapdeal as a friend has got a coupon for it which expires tomorrow. seeking some suggestions about it.

also, is teewe 2 a better option? any other such device?

thanks!

p.s. - i have a himedia hd900b media player too, but the custom FW its on doesn't have a good youtube app, nor does OllyP's FWs had it AFAIR.

Apart from app support crome cast is easily powered up using the tv usb port where as teewe had some issues and needs to power up using supplied adapter. This one made me go for crome cast even with price difference.

Apart from app support crome cast is easily powered up using the tv usb port where as teewe had some issues and needs to power up using supplied adapter. This one made me go for crome cast even with price difference.
it was with teewe 1?

would forego mk808 for now. its costlier. CC is available for 2.6k on SD, plus can get 1k of discount over it.

No mate Got it for 1.8k in march from -> http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_124593.html
Takes a month to deliver though.(3 out of 4 people that ordered had no problems with customs)

Also Chromecast has barely 10% of the functionality of MK808 plus.

thanks! so this has YT-app built-in too! nice!
so yours was a group-order? if am reading it correctly, this would be shipped free to India, correct?
had to purchase a few more misc. electronic items, so might then order all from gearbest or DX if shipping is free.

thanks! so this has YT-app built-in too! nice!
so yours was a group-order? if am reading it correctly, this would be shipped free to India, correct?
had to purchase a few more misc. electronic items, so might then order all from gearbest or DX if shipping is free.
Yes shipping is free. Free shipping takes a around 20-25 days. Just mention that you are from India as a reminder. No it wasnt a group order more like one after the other.

Yes this the same Andriod phone os except on the tv. You might need to use a wireless mouse with it or if you need there is a wifi remote app you can use and control with your android phone. I'd suggest the mouse. Makes it lot more precise, or one of those remotes. Just change the default launcher when you get it to somemthing like Nova Launcher. Some custom roms available too.

And yes the latest Youtube app is available and I watch a lot of youtube on it. Its fun!

Yes shipping is free. Free shipping takes a around 20-25 days. Just mention that you are from India as a reminder. No it wasnt a group order more like one after the other.

Yes this the same Andriod phone os except on the tv. You might need to use a wireless mouse with it or if you need there is a wifi remote app you can use and control with your android phone. I'd suggest the mouse. Makes it lot more precise, or one of those remotes. Just change the default launcher when you get it to somemthing like Nova Launcher. Some custom roms available too.

And yes the latest Youtube app is available and I watch a lot of youtube on it. Its fun!

thanks again! then it seems as a very good proposition! i need such a device mostly to watch youtube-vids only. however, watching the below review for version B, it can be definitely used to play some retro-games and stream & watch local-content too:

so what i've understood is that for chromecast, one needs to have a phone/tablet/PC or laptop necessarily; streaming local-content could be problematic; only a handful of apps in it, and not many can be downloaded from play store; no web-content downloading & storing option....while MK808B could do all these and more.

albeit, some comments over at this reddit thread are a bit bothersome (regarding heat-generation, etc., although the review linked to in that thread read that even after performing several benchmark-tests and playing videos and games, the device only felt 'warm' to touch!):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2nwscn/mk808b_plus_review_a_50_quadcore_android_tv_stick/

thanks again! then it seems as a very good proposition! i need such a device mostly to watch youtube-vids only. however, watching the below review for version B, it can be definitely used to play some retro-games and stream & watch local-content too:

so what i've understood is that for chromecast, one needs to have a phone/tablet/PC or laptop necessarily; streaming local-content could be problematic; only a handful of apps in it, and not many can be downloaded from play store; no web-content downloading & storing option....while MK808B could do all these and more.

albeit, some comments over at this reddit thread are a bit bothersome (regarding heat-generation, etc., although the review linked to in that thread read that even after performing several benchmark-tests and playing videos and games, the device only felt 'warm' to touch!):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2nwscn/mk808b_plus_review_a_50_quadcore_android_tv_stick/
No problems with heat and such if its in open. Only thing is wifi is a bit poor so needs to be in line of sight. Mines is beside the router. I have a 32gb card in it where I copy the shows that Im watching or Download using Flud torrent downloader on the device itself. It also supports Popcorn time. :)

No problems with heat and such if its in open. Only thing is wifi is a bit poor so needs to be in line of sight. Mines is beside the router. I have a 32gb card in it where I copy the shows that Im watching or Download using Flud torrent downloader on the device itself. It also supports Popcorn time. :)

my router is placed centrally at home, and near the ceiling, with the antennae parallel to the floor, each (2 antennae) directed towards two portions of the house. the distance between the TV and the router would be about 7 ft. or a bit less, but this in the form of an L-shape (ie, proceeding from the router's location in the passageway, take left to the hall and there's the TV). its just a few steps really. still the wifi-connection could suffer? shall place the order today.

my router is placed centrally at home, and near the ceiling, with the antennae parallel to the floor, each (2 antennae) directed towards two portions of the house. the distance between the TV and the router would be about 7 ft. or a bit less, but this in the form of an L-shape (ie, proceeding from the router's location in the passageway, take left to the hall and there's the TV). its just a few steps really. still the wifi-connection could suffer? shall place the order today.

Yes, it could. I have similar arrangement for my main router. I also have another router near TV and stick, where it works very good.

I have a similar issue with poor WiFi at location of Chromecast. Installed a 840N as a repeater and works fine. You should do the same for your devices, and can use the 740N as well.

Coming to Chromecast/Tewee/Android Stick, the stick is the best of the lot, but you may need to do some work to get it to play the way you want - at least, that was my experience with the stick. Chromecast is flawless, but requires internet, which is flawed. I am not sure about the Tewee, but definitely not many positive reviews.

I have a similar issue with poor WiFi at location of Chromecast. Installed a 840N as a repeater and works fine. You should do the same for your devices, and can use the 740N as well.

Coming to Chromecast/Tewee/Android Stick, the stick is the best of the lot, but you may need to do some work to get it to play the way you want - at least, that was my experience with the stick. Chromecast is flawless, but requires internet, which is flawed. I am not sure about the Tewee, but definitely not many positive reviews.

Whats the difference between repeater and extender, which one will be better is such situation ?

It should work I think. Might lose a few bars of signal. If you dont like it there will be plenty of takers here who might have a more suitable setup, so order and take a chance :p

It should work I think. Might lose a few bars of signal. If you dont like it there will be plenty of takers here who might have a more suitable setup, so order and take a chance :p

yes, good idea. also, thanks to @vivek.krishnan for suggesting the repeater-idea. that is also perfectly doable.

just one last doubt before i place the order for the MKM - regarding chromecast, playing a youtube-vid on the TV would require playing it first on one's phone/tablet, isn't it? the video-reviews of the device showed so. just want to confirm and then discard CC as another option.

P.S. - i would be leaving the country either tomorrow or this Sunday, to what place, don't know yet (either the eastern part of the world, or the western side, possibly europe, and most probably there itself). would be back in about 3 weeks. if i get the chance there to visit a store or two, i could look for the MKM there. but the probability of it is less, albeit, who knows. if anyone here wants me to get the same for him in case i do visit some store and find the device, then let me know. for myself, i think i would place the order online now itself, so that by the time am back, the device is already here or about to reach. otherwise if i don't place the order now and then don't get a chance to visit any store abroad, then shall have to place the order upon returning and wait again for more time till i get it in my hands.

yes, good idea. also, thanks to @vivek.krishnan for suggesting the repeater-idea. that is also perfectly doable.

just one last doubt before i place the order for the MKM - regarding chromecast, playing a youtube-vid on the TV would require playing it first on one's phone/tablet, isn't it? the video-reviews of the device showed so. just want to confirm and then discard CC as another option.

P.S. - i would be leaving the country either tomorrow or this Sunday, to what place, don't know yet (either the eastern part of the world, or the western side, possibly europe, and most probably there itself). would be back in about 3 weeks. if i get the chance there to visit a store or two, i could look for the MKM there. but the probability of it is less, albeit, who knows. if anyone here wants me to get the same for him in case i do visit some store and find the device, then let me know. for myself, i think i would place the order online now itself, so that by the time am back, the device is already here or about to reach. otherwise if i don't place the order now and then don't get a chance to visit any store abroad, then shall have to place the order upon returning and wait again for more time till i get it in my hands.
Its mostly sold online, doubt you'll get it offline.

Yes you discover the video on an independent device and then press the play on chromecast button. The phone then sends the link of the video to chromecast which it then streams independently. However both are closely tied like seeking the video etc. On MK808, you can discover, play and use all other features of the youtube app on the tv independently. Put a 500Rs wireless mouse and everything just works. Or download the google remore app for the phone to control it via wifi. (You wont find it in play store though, there is an apk)

Are you still in Nagpur?

Back