Video Cheapest option to watch movies stored on Ext HDD

Raspberry pi @ 2499 on Amazon.in link

I will also have to buy at least
A case, remote, power source ?
Where and how do i get and configure all these ?
Does it make any sense over a 4k Asus O play ?
Also I have no idea about code writing etc. in case that is required for making it work

Thanks for advising

Last edited:
@shravank30 rpi has innumerable uses but you'll have to know Linux for it. I have one and use it mainly for torrenting. You can get case from ebay or amazon. Around 200-300 bucks. You can use any smartphone charger with atleast 1A. However if you need to connect a portable hdd you will need a powered hub (the transcend one is on sale on amazon for 1.7k).

I think you can run it headless and ssh into it. Check with @avi he had one for sale fully configured.

Forgot to mention you'll need at least 8gb microsd for the os.

On customs cannot say much. They mark it as gift and ship it vis air mail. So india foreign post will be handling it. I was charged customs of 1.3k and after a lot of hassle finally paid 450. Others who bought before me had no trouble.

Are you there on the whatsapp group. Members over the have the mk808. Around 4 of us i think

Is the site reliable for making the payment ?
Also does it support a 2tb WD element HDD (No external power)
Will it allow me to add subtitles stored in a different folder ?

Thanks for advising

Payment gateway is through PayPal. It's a reliable site. Only downside is the wait time. Takes 20 days atleast to arrive and like in my case took a month for customs to clear it.

It will support your hdd but i guess you'll need to power it separately. They provide a 2A power adapter but i am not sure. I will check and update you.

It basically runs on android and the apps should have the option to choose subtitle. I believe mx player has that option.

@benryu
Thanks for helping
Will really appreciate if you could check if a external hdd is supported by the device
If I have to buy an external powered use port it will become very clumsy while travelling
Thanks for advising

I will also have to buy at least
A case, remote, power source ?
Where and how do i get and configure all these ?
Does it make any sense over a 4k Asus O play ?
Also I have no idea about code writing etc. in case that is required for making it work

Thanks for advising

Can I know where the ASUS Oplay with 4k is available... Cannot find in website...
I'm looking for one until kodi supports 4k with cheaper cards...

Have you decided?
I was hoping that you would let me know if the mk808B supports the external hdd or not?

There are 2-3 other players also available on the same site and in case you can recommend any other player which can support it, I will be grateful

No idea[DOUBLEPOST=1437898474][/DOUBLEPOST]I think it's best that I go for the Wd TV live which is available for 8.1k on Snapdeal with a 10% discount in Sibi cards will cost me 7.3k
I think it is quite future proof also as it has wifi and the latest features

Last edited:
Back