Less than 10K Cheap phone with great build quality

greenhorn

Patron
This is for my dad - who has been using a samsung dumbphone till now, which is dying
Nearly pulled the plug on a samsung metro XL when i realized that there should be some decent smartphones at that price point, which, with a simplified launcher like wiser should be fine for him.
I am using a redmi 2 with an aftermarket leather back panel, and it feels quite premium, and the redmi 3 build quality is even more amazing.

My dad uses his phone for just calls - not even SMS, but would like something classy and well built (and not look and feel like a toy)

performance, camera etc are not a big deal - battery life, build quality and a decent screen should be fine. But most of the popular sub 5K phones seem to be packed with performance, and not much in terms of build quality, so not sure where to look

I'd been through similar situation recently. I wanted to replace both my father and mother's mobile. They both were so far using feature phones, Nokia. I then got them Moto E 2nd Gen.

Challenges they faced during migration from feature phone to smartphone:
  • Getting used to touch screen
  • Taking long time to search a contact and dial
  • Seeing missed call
  • etc
But believe me, once they pass the migration period, they love smartphone now.

Features elders use in smartphone (which we won't be aware till they start using):
  • WhatsApp call. Yes, all my mother does is WhatsApp call to her sisters, mother, etc. She is too used to WhatsApp now.
  • Checking pictures shared by her dear ones. Again through WhatsApp. Elders like seeing pictures of their sons, or their grandchildren pics.
  • Camera. Ofcourse not great clarity. But they get lot of satisfaction that they indeed are taking snaps and sharing to their relatives and children.
So, what I'm suggesting is to consider getting a decent, good build and quality Smartphone. It will cost some 2-3k more than your budget. But they will love it later. Moto E is a great one to start with.

talked dad into trying out android with a simple launcher and he was ok with it.
he was comfortable with my redmi 2 and my sister's moto e (1st gen)
I tried giving him my galaxy s4, but he said it was too big for him to use. I can't give him my redmi (I find myself using it much more than the s4)
Moto e3 and redmi3 are too big.
so need to find a phone for him with a 4.7 inch or less screen. Any recommends?

Get him a Redmi 1S for starters. You can pickup one used for ~2K. That will allow you to gauge his use. Its very well built as well.

Once done, I would recommend you to look at the Redmi 2 and other phones such as Moto X 2013 (older, but very, very nice)

Initial impressions
Tons of bloatware
rooted and uninstalled
but now the damn thing won't update because of the missing apps
Works fine with no lag, and given that the use is for voice calling and SMS, the battery life is huge!
unexpected bonus - phone comes with a regular sim slot, so no headache about cutting
cons- fixed focus phone, but it takes far better shots than my sisters moto e 1st gen

Back