Android Cell broadcast in unknown language

6pack

ex-Mod
On my Redmi Note 5 (not Pro), i keep getting 10-15 of such cell broadcast messages everyday from past 3-4 days.

cell-broadcast.png

There is only OK button, back button does not work on it. I only found out now that I can swipe them away from notifications bar without reading them. There is no record of these messages anywhere in phone like we can see messages.

I tried switching off all options under cell broadcast settings, and still got these. These messages come irrespective of any settings in mobile.

So is an app pushing these or where is this coming from?

What is this thing? I wonder who sends these? I have vodafone and Idea sims. Do the telecom companies send this nonsense?

Seems some font issues in your phone or if your operator is broadcasting in a local language your phone isnt able to interpret it properly resulting in junk characters.
Try changing font and see.

Cell broadcast was there from ages ago. Didn't you see some message in the old symbian phones like the place or tower name? eg If you were in Andheri in Mumbai, the phone would show Andheri. Sometimes you would also get message about roaming like welcome to Mumbai on the Vodafone network etc.

Cell broadcast is under Emergency broadcasts settings now in Android.

Please try to install your local language if available on play store and see. But, I think, it must be preinstalled on your phone within the OS itself to be displayed properly as Broadcasted notification.

Cell broadcast was there from ages ago. Didn't you see some message in the old symbian phones like the place or tower name? eg If you were in Andheri in Mumbai, the phone would show Andheri. Sometimes you would also get message about roaming like welcome to Mumbai on the Vodafone network etc.

Cell broadcast is under Emergency broadcasts settings now in Android.
i mean with my present V20 on N the emergency broadcasts option as explained in the video isn't there. I checked on a sammy with KK and its not there either . Not all vendors are providing this option looks like

Back