Careers and Employment Thread

his experience... otherwise why would they waste time in interviewing him? they can figure out from his resume that he is changing job too soon.

what if the new company gives you a premium laptop? your CTC will increase without any extra penny in your pocket :p

Cost To Company is generally your gross pay + providend fund contribution by the employer. Whether you get a macbook pro or a 15k netbook has no bearing to your CTC.

^^ really? HR guys told me so...
Your HR guys are clueless as usual and don't understand a thing.

I'm not in HR but I handle project management on a daily basis so I obviously know where the money comes from.

In pretty much 99.9% of companies, the cost center and payroll have nothing to do with each other.

Yes money goes from one to the other but it is almost always indirect.

Yes that's what my question was ..what do they want to hear?..
You will have to figure that out while the interview is going on. one should always try to keep the interview as a two way conversation.
Any reasonable answer including higher pay is valid. but if you can gauge what they are looking for; you will be able to give the winning answer.

Cos. lure joinees with laptops or phones and offer low pay but what's the use as you have to submit this shit back once you leave co. And also you get no option to upgrade unless hardware failure.
I better prefer a higher package and buy my own gadgets rather than falling for such bargains.

Cos. lure joinees with laptops or phones and offer low pay but what's the use as you have to submit this shit back once you leave co. And also you get no option to upgrade unless hardware failure.
I better prefer a higher package and buy my own gadgets rather than falling for such bargains.
Don't think laptops or gadgets are included in CTC..
Or at least I haven't reached that state..

Don't think laptops or gadgets are included in CTC..
Or at least I haven't reached that state..
I never said its included in CTC. But they will offer you 20k p.m. and say you will also get laptop/mobile etc.
Whereas your actual market value is 30k or so then no matter you get laptop or bmw.

Depends. For IT support its always a painful job. You cant eat/sleep/or do anything thing without being getting disturbed by calls. And you cant even switch off your phone else get fired or be prepared for assault from your boss.

And for others its usually a breeze. They have some work tracking tool installed and once your 9 hours are completed you can log off.

Thats what I have in my current and past cos.

Last edited:
Guys, how much hike does one usually get after switching a company?
Suppose a person is working in company A at X CTC. He knows that he is underpaid and hence asks for 2X (which is as per market standard, considering the skill sets of the person) at Company B. Will the company B consider the person at 2X ?

Can you guys quote some examples from your / your colleague's experience ?

^^ thanks for the reply.

Prospective recruiters always ask for current salary details during the hiring process ? And this dents the chances of securing a higher CTC due to lower present income.

How can someone tactfully handle this situation?

I was hoping if someone could narrate a firsthand experience about salary negotiations.

Can you guys quote some examples from your / your colleague's experience ?
Interviewed in Accenture for Oracle DBA
Salary hiked from 15K to 35K 2 years back

Some make it more fun by showing in-hand offers.
Another friend jumped from 5L to 10L in 6 months with 4 offers in hand and smart bargaining.
There are many such examples.
Depends on how well you present your skills to the interview panel

I was hoping if someone could narrate a firsthand experience about salary negotiations.
I am on the tech interview panel for god knows how many years.

Candidate is just a resource. Salary negotiations depend on the company and the urgency to fill the position. If a company doesn't offer that much money for a particular skill set then you cannot get a hike while switching jobs. Company cannot risk upsetting rest of their employees by giving you a hike (by putting you in next higher salary band), when you haven't even shown your skills on the job. There is a concept of salary bracket/band for each position. You can negotiate only between that band, which the recruiter won't disclose to you. If the company needs you badly, or if you are quite good then they can easily put you near the top of the band. But to cross that band, you need to be promoted to next level.

It happened twice that I was put in the next salary band even though I wasn't eligible for promotion. But that was because I was really good :p. It pissed off lots of people but it served as an inspiration for them. Similarly, they can't risk pissing off their current set of productive employees, just by giving unjustified hike to a new joiner.

In another MNC, I was supposed to be given raise but they couldn't as I was already at the top of the salary band for my position. Company came up with some "skills allowance" and I was paid extra as long as I worked for that project. Once I left that project, my 'special skills' weren't relevant anymore and they reduced my salary. The point I want to highlight is that the company can go extra mile to satisfy deserving/loyal employees. So, if you are supposed to get 2X at the new company, then you'll get it.

Prospective recruiters always ask for current salary details during the hiring process ? And this dents the chances of securing a higher CTC due to lower present income.
No. It doesn't matter. If are too below their current salary band, they'll give you a higher package without much resistance. After all, they wouldn't want to piss off a new employee (because ultimately you'd find out you are being underpaid).

When I moved from a desi company to MNC, I was given 2.5X without even asking about my current salary details. In fact, they never asked. Most probably, they put me at the lowest level of their salary band but they gave me what I should've been getting according to my experience.

MNCs have quite straightforward processes. Can't say about desi companies.

---------------------------------------------------

[DOUBLEPOST=1457001950][/DOUBLEPOST]
Company came up with some "skills allowance" and I was paid extra as long as I worked for that project.
Sounds like I am highly sought after :p

No, apart from regular salary, they came up with this allowance thingie for many other employees as well. Not meant specially for me. Though I was among the first batch to be given this allowance.

Last edited:
Back