Can some torrent clients disregard traffic speeds of isp?

6pack

ex-Mod
I'm asking this because I saw something weird last night. I usually use Transmission to download stuff. There were a few torrents which had seeds (8-15) but it would not connect to them. So I installed Tixati.

Out of 4 torrents, Tixati downloaded 3 at the normal 2Mbps speed. The 4th one it went haywire. It was downloading at 8Mbps - 14Mbps speeds. I was looking at the peers connected and most were from other countries. I also searched for ip that would cache the torrent like 10.x.x.x address or local Indian ip's but none were found. So how did it download at 4+ times the speed my isp gave me? Did it break something somewere?

Mind boggling.

It did not disregard the ISP rules, but this happens sometimes. I would suggest to redownload that torrent again, and this time, sort the peers by max download speeds and check.

The actual answer to your speeds - I am not sure. I have experienced this, but with all ie torrents, even HTTP(s) downloads for that short time - not just for one torrent. And its because of something upstream, broken, maybe for a few minutes.

ran out of hdd space, so i won't download the torrent again. I think my old plan expired and i was promised 1 month free plan. The isp changed my plan to 2Mbps night double speed plan. I'm getting double speed at night now and they messaged me. Saw today morning that i get 4Mbps. Maybe instead of Mb some new guy put MB into the speed part.

Back