C# .net books and stuff.

sahib

Disciple
Ok so i finally landed with a job after my Btech.
Got into C#.Net domain.
Can somebody help me with books and stuff which i can learn for this.
I have fair knowledge in C and C++.
But would really like to start off with the material for beginners.
Suggestions please.

Pro C# and the .NET 4 Platform 2010 is what you're looking for. It doesn't waste time on explaining baby stuff like if-else, loops etc. It gives you a solid introduction to how the .NET stack is structured, CLR et al.

It's a massive book, but well worth it.

Congrats on your job. May I ask where you landed it? (It's okay if you don't want to say). Just curious cuz I just graduated too, and am hunting for a .NET job.

You can look at Pluralsight courses. They are super awesome.

Another approach I typically follow is MSDN training kits on various topics.

One must read book would be CLR via C# if you wanna learn the language as it should be.

sarang said:
You can look at Pluralsight courses. They are super awesome.

Another approach I typically follow is MSDN training kits on various topics.

One must read book would be CLR via C# if you wanna learn the language as it should be.

I tried MSDN today but found it somewhat perplexing.What approach you follow?I mean even my Team Leaders were referring the same thing .

Is there a certain way to read them or something?

What are you working with? Some specifics would help.

like Classic ASP.Net, ASP.net mvc, Winforms, WPF/WCF/WF, Azure be specific and we can recommend the specific training kit.

Haven't been informed as of yet.I was told it would be C#.Net and i need to build up my basics and logics.

Will update if i am told something regarding the same.

Santa Maria! said:
Pro C# and the .NET 4 Platform 2010 is what you're looking for. It doesn't waste time on explaining baby stuff like if-else, loops etc. It gives you a solid introduction to how the .NET stack is structured, CLR et al.

Congrats on your job. May I ask where you landed it? (It's okay if you don't want to say). Just curious cuz I just graduated too, and am hunting for a .NET job.

THIS. Andrew troelsen is the man!.

Whatever you get(asp.net, winform, etc), this book will help you understand everything better.Take is slow though, it can be overwhelming at times.

You'll love VS2010, amazingly functional IDE.

You'll probably hate microsoft though, in their attempts to limit certain things to get what they want.

2 more recommendation :

1. CLR Via C# (as mentioned by sarang, it gives you in-depth knowledge about CLR the base on which .Net works with C# language).

2. C# in nutshell (a complete reference on C# and must have desk reference book)

Any idea about an idividual or institute that is good for this.Am finding it tough to study all by myself.(noobish)
Havent really been into programming you know.

Santa Maria! said:

Thanks a lot for your suggestion of the book, i bought it is "Simply Excellent". Once again Thanks. Now Look for C++ Reference Book to refresh/upgrade Basics

Are you looking for ebooks? There are plenty available on (you know where.
<
)

Well, bumping an year old thread for a reason.

That's a huge list. Hope you can help me sort it out.

I'm already into .NET Development from 2.5 years using VB.NET. But it's time I shifted to C# and as I'm well versed with programming techniques (in C / C++ / PHP / .NET), I have managed to built Windows Applications taking help from Google (of course) where needed :p

Now I want to focus to ASP.NET(C#) and C#. I have also done 2 projects on ASP.NET(C#), on beginner level and comfortable with using Ajax Control Toolkit and all basic tools. But I want to learn the language and ASP.NET in better way.

Like, I don't know using Profiles and all etc. Though I can also learn it using Google, but still I want a book which will clear the basics (Not the if-else, loops etc. being a programmer I'm well versed with those) of ASP.NET and C#.

So which one should I opt for? Max. peoples have recommended me CLR via C# and Pro C# 2010 and .NET Platform. But does these books also cover ASP.NET?

My main focus area is ASP.NET.

Bump. Can anyone please put some light into it?

If you want to get deep into web development with ASP.NET, then get a book specifically geared towards that goal. Troelsen's book, Pro C# 2010 and .NET Platform, is a super awesome book for an intro into the entire .NET world, but has only one chapter dedicated to ASP.NET. It's a good intro, but nothing in depth.

CLR via C# is a another awesome book (which has been on my reading list for quite some time now), but it's more of an advanced book to take your understanding of C# to the next level. Not really a web development book.

I also hope you're aware that there are two approaches to ASP.NET. One is the classic ASP.NET webforms, and the other is the somewhat more modern ASP.NET MVC. Pick which approach you want to go with and get a book specifically for that.

APress books are a good choice if you want a suggestion as to where to start looking. They have ASP.NET books in their 'Pro' series as well IIRC.

Back