C compiler

CA50

Skilled
As the title speaks, i am in need of a C compiler.

Currently i am using Dev C++, but i need one like VS for that. I will code console programs, and compiler, which can show the value of variable and flow of execution like in Visual Studio.

Previously i have used VS for codding on C#.NET and found is very easy to debug codes, just hover on a variable and all its values are listed, also the breakpoint feature was very beneficial for me.

Right now i need something like that for C.

TIA

I think you are looking for a debugger/ Integrated Development Environment not a compiler.
Since you are familiar with VS, go ahead and and use it for debugging your C program.

You can also try -
wxDev-C++

Its basically a fork of Dev C++ but is relatively more actively maintained. Had used it years back. It did have a watchlist to keep track of variables while debugging. It might not be as good as VS though.

Its basically an IDE for developing GUI based applications using wxwidgets (A crossplatform UI library)

No reason not to use an IDE.

GCC is 'cool' and all that shebang. I use it professionally every day. I also use an IDE every day and am comfortable either way.

For a beginner, it makes a lot more sense to get a hang of the concept of programming (or even the language itself) before trying to wrap his head around compiler semantics.

@OP have you tried the Express edition of Visual Studio?

my 2 cents.

Here there are two aspects of programming in c. coding and debugging.

If its windows environment then VS wins hands down. for coding and debugging.
else, you can use your own compiler with debug symbols and start using windbg. if you setup the symbol path and code path properly, you can step through and debug. note that windbg is much more powerful than VS when it comes to debugging. notepad++ is a very good tool for coding. so I would use notepad++ along with windbg if VS is ruled out.

On Linux environment:
vim for coding and gdb for debugging. nuff said.

In my opinion you should not use VC as of now as it it quite advanced and much useful if you are developing applications for GUI. But if you are more interested towards command line then I would suggest you to use Either Netbeans with Cygwin. Here Netbeans is an awesome cross platform IDE and Debugger with Cygwin as your compiler. Also you can Opt for Eclipse which supports C/C++ via CDT plugin and its also cross platform.
If you are just looking for compiler then use cygwin, its best. You don't even need any IDE for writing programs, you can do it in plain notepad or notepad++ only too. But IDE is recommended always.

If you are working on windows better stick to Visual Studio, I don't see any logic to go for any other compiler while working on windows. Majority of the software on windows are developed using Microsoft compiler/linker and some cases Intel Compiler (which has similar features to the MS one) . If you need just the compiler and not the IDE you can download Windows SDK which contains the same compiler used by visual studio.

Back