Buying online abroad using Indian Credit Card

I have a friend who is traveling back to India. And I wanted to buy some stuff off Nike.com but it seems none of my cards - Citi Debit/Credit and ICICI Credit work because they want a billing address. And they expect the billing address to be US.

So any ideas how to get around this restriction? One way is to buy in-store but then some models are not available in every store.

Thats not possible unless you want the delivery to a local US address.
If they are able to ship to India then no matter which card in this world it should work. There is no connection between a card holders billing address and the seller. Only stuff matters is the product, shipping and money.

Thats not possible unless you want the delivery to a local US address.
If they are able to ship to India then no matter which card in this world it should work. There is no connection between a card holders billing address and the seller. Only stuff matters is the product, shipping and money.
I am trying to ship to local US Address only. The strange thing is my Citibank credit card is not working. I have tried Macys, Target, Best Buy etc. And all of them say the order is done, and add hold on my card (which Citibank shows as debit). And then within an hour I get an email saying the order is cancelled. It happened to me like 10 times now.[DOUBLEPOST=1533566744][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nike US has PayPal use that.
Many sites have Paypal but Paypal has in their wisdom thought it is better to lock me out. They show me only phone based verification for a number which is not used anymore.

Pretty sure that the transactions you are doing are not needing 2FA, hence the billing address needs to match and when it does not, the order gets cancelled.

I had this issue with AMEX when I trying to buy a subscription to akbebooks.com, AMEX had initially blocked the transaction as it might be fraudulent. Then, after retrying, AMEX had no issue, but the payment gateway refused. Finally, as the author was Indian, I settled things with a NEFT!

Pretty sure that the transactions you are doing are not needing 2FA, hence the billing address needs to match and when it does not, the order gets cancelled.

I had this issue with AMEX when I trying to buy a subscription to akbebooks.com, AMEX had initially blocked the transaction as it might be fraudulent. Then, after retrying, AMEX had no issue, but the payment gateway refused. Finally, as the author was Indian, I settled things with a NEFT!
It does seem so. Additionally, some sites are even refusing PayPal too saying they need US Paypal for buying stuff which is very very strange. It locks out many sites out of reach of us in India.

I am trying to ship to local US Address only. The strange thing is my Citibank credit card is not working. I have tried Macys, Target, Best Buy etc. And all of them say the order is done, and add hold on my card (which Citibank shows as debit). And then within an hour I get an email saying the order is cancelled. It happened to me like 10 times now.[DOUBLEPOST=1533566744][/DOUBLEPOST]
Many sites have Paypal but Paypal has in their wisdom thought it is better to lock me out. They show me only phone based verification for a number which is not used anymore.
It's happening because AVS is failing.

Most online ordering sites in the US that require a card issued in the US to be used, do so by implementing Address Verification on the billing address of the card. PayPal US as well checks if the default billing address is a US one or that the account has been verified using a US credit/debit card (which is mandatory), in case such a requirement is there. Amazon.com works with all cards and I've had my Indian cards work at BestBuy, B&H Photo Video and REI as well. I've had problems with Macy's, Nike, Spotify and Newegg (which I guess works now).

I used to use a virtual reloadable Visa card earlier, which I had picked up in the US. But now I just use a cousin's credit card.

Alternative 1 for you could be (and the obvious one), to use your friend's card if he has access to one, and transfer him the amount at the exchange rate. Will help you save on the ~3.5% mark up as well

Alternative 2 is if your friend has a US PayPal account, you could transfer the amount to it using an Indian PayPal and use that to place the order.

Most online ordering sites in the US that require a card issued in the US to be used, do so by implementing Address Verification on the billing address of the card. PayPal US as well checks if the default billing address is a US one or that the account has been verified using a US credit/debit card (which is mandatory), in case such a requirement is there. Amazon.com works with all cards and I've had my Indian cards work at BestBuy, B&H Photo Video and REI as well. I've had problems with Macy's, Nike, Spotify and Newegg (which I guess works now).

I used to use a virtual reloadable Visa card earlier, which I had picked up in the US. But now I just use a cousin's credit card.

Alternative 1 for you could be (and the obvious one), to use your friend's card if he has access to one, and transfer him the amount at the exchange rate. Will help you save on the ~3.5% mark up as well

Alternative 2 is if your friend has a US PayPal account, you could transfer the amount to it using an Indian PayPal and use that to place the order.
My friend is traveling to US for short term so he also doesn't have US card/Paypal for him too. Though I have tried Target, Macys, Sephora, Nike etc - only Nike goes through using Paypal. While Target debits the amount from Paypal, later they cancel the order. Best Buy is showing that they accept cards with International Address I don't see options to use Indian billing address.

Back