Buying from Alibaba.com

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Has anyone bought anything from alibaba.com?
How are the shipment and taxes? Does the seller pay for the tax/customs/whatever?
Need to buy something but not sure how i should proceed.

Haven't bought anything. Planning to buy a screen replacement. But what i hav read, taxes/customs are to be taken care by us. But some sellers print low value on package to avoid tax/custom hassles.So if the package is small and light enough, no custom/taxes hassles. It takes around month and a half for delivery. Always select the highest rated seller, no matter what the price difference. Lot of scammers there.

Last edited:
Scammers? Seriously? Holy crap.
One seller which i contacted asked me how the shipping/taxes in Myanmar is just because my location is nearby lol. If we were to buy it which state/customs would the items pass through? Some sellers are expecting me to go pick up from customs office.
Highest rated sellers including those gold and platinum sellers also have negative feedback according to some buyers online.

buy from aliexpress.com (alibaba's shopping portal) its same alibaba sellers only but u have buyer protection and like bigb said buy from a rated seller just to be safe, ive always have all items delivered fine. some taxed some not taxed. they always post low value so shouldnt be a problem.

Just got word from the seller:
He (another customer) paid 30$ for the samples. (Another item) with freight to collect by DHL. The sample cost will refund to him once he place order to us.
I have no idea how much taxes will be in india, but you may check with your local customs by phone. For sample shipping, DHL will make customs clearance all the way to your door, what you need to do is to wait or pay taxes if any. It's not so complicated as you imagine.
So how much do customs charge for import (though i know that it will differ from commodity to commodity)?
What if there is a "no commercial value" on the package? Will that avoid any taxes labeled or reduces taxes? My shipment from Taiwan a few years ago by FedEx was worth $25. I didn't pay or do anything and the product was delivered to my doorstep.

Would be great if someone who has PERSONALLY shopped on this site help me out with the shipping, customs and other taxes. Deal will be finalized in a few days.

because if its a not a small item, custom deptt will detain it and ask you to pay customs.
else, your items will reach you without problem.
make sure your seller ships your packet with registered post having correct tracking ID.
Hongkong or Singapore posts are better.
Sweden post takes more time.

because if its a not a small item, custom deptt will detain it and ask you to pay customs.
else, your items will reach you without problem.
make sure your seller ships your packet with registered post having correct tracking ID.
Hongkong or Singapore posts are better.
Sweden post takes more time.
Its not so huge. 1 foot square box give or take a few inches. Might weight around 3kgs. 5kg at most.
Some of the sellers say they ship using DHL/FEDEX. I've told them to add a signed a "sample only. no commercial value" declaration on the package. That was how i was able to receive my 15kg+ Thermaltake chassis from taiwan. Goods was declared at $25 iirc. Home-delivered, i paid no extra charges. No customs.
There seems to be a HK trade fair in the coming few days. Should reply back after the event.

Last edited:
If it's a low value item, it will almost always reach you without any customs hassle.

One tip: If your really worried about customs, ask them to send via China post. Those folks transfer it to India post and there will almost always be no checks for customs, assured.

Only con is it would take a month to reach and if the seller is offering free DHL/FedEx, your losing out on fast shipping and great handling.

Their Buyer protection is rock solid. And if you buy from sellers having stellar ratings, then I don't see why it could go bad.

Total measure weight is around 25kg, the shipping cost is around 110$ by FEDEX
1piece item 1 or item 2 measure weight is around 12.5kg, the shipping cost is around 95$ by FEDEX. Our agent told me the taxes depends on your local customs.
For customs clearance, It's said your
local customs become very strict now. you need to provide us yr IMPORT NO. TAX NO. For samples ,we shall write " Sample only, no commercial value"!
So china mail/post then? Can someone familiar with this tell me about the main differences between China post and private couriers other than the quicker delivery and the base shipping cost.[DOUBLEPOST=1444899209][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just checked with China EMS, the prices almost same ( 100$) as Fedex and much slower than Fedex.
For China Post, it's designed for small weight pakage under 2KG.
Aren't i being overcharged? Or is this the normal rate? Also i didn't expect the weight to be over 10kilos for the item.

Last edited:
Deal didn't go through and seller himself said its not possible. But he is still mailing me and asking me about it. Lel.
Btw, alibaba subscription is a pain in the ass! I signed out from their subscription but i'm still getting the mails. 48hrs for the process was long gone days ago.

Back