Graphic Cards Buying cards used for mining.

assender

Recruit
So I'm going to build a new setup, one of the people I know is selling used cards, they were in a mining rig which was active for like a half a year (I trust that the parts were not abused or anything because I know him pretty well), but was wondering if anyone here had some experience with hardware used for mining? Some of my colleagues said that it should not matter because it's not like a mechanical part which wears out in some time from extended usage, but have a pc part work 24/7 can't be good for it either imo.

Silicon chips too have some kind of life, which may not be dependent on how old it is but rather how long was it used for.
The GPU consists of many components like the chip, VRMs, memory modules. When a GPU is subjected to constant load, like in case of 24/7 mining, the probability of the GPU failing due to any one of those components going bad increases by a lot.
So if you are considering buying a mining card, buy one which has enough warranty period remaining so that you can get it replaced if it fails.

^Yes, definitely make sure it has at least a year of warranty left.
This is because in mining, a gpu is running at max non-stop for a long period of time.
This means the gpu and all the other components will be subjected to constant heat.
This greatly reduces the life of a gpu since they are not designed for running 24/7.

Does the non-stop max usage affect the longevity of the card even if it is well bellow the Temperature limits? (50-60C tops)
I think the card still have a warranty ill have to check on that thx.

I bought a RX580 used for mining. Completely stripped down the card, washed heatsink in soap water, put liquid metal and fresh thermal pads, card is rocking.

Modern computer parts are more reliable. Ofcourse YMMV

Does the non-stop max usage affect the longevity of the card even if it is well bellow the Temperature limits? (50-60C tops)
I think the card still have a warranty ill have to check on that thx.
Yes, because while the gpu may be within temp. limits there's no way of being sure the rest of the components are being cooled sufficiently.
Here's an example (https://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-addresses-geforce-1080-temperature-problems,32967.html)
Be sure to check out the thermal image to get an idea of what i mean.

Back