Budget 90k+ Buying a XPS 15 laptop from Amazon.com

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Dell XPS 15 9550 from amazon.com for 2000$ approx. This 15-inch XPS is not available in India. It says " free shipping" and ships to India.
I want to know if there will be any customs or any other taxes / charges.

Thanks.

PS : From which country can I get the same for the cheapest rate if I visit / have relative there?

It will be cheapest in the US I'm guessing.

There will certainly be customs duty AND shipping charges don't forget... I think amazon.com itself will give you a guesstimate during checkout phase... try "ordering" the checkout process on website (but don't confirm the order) to see if they show you the estimated cost?[DOUBLEPOST=1468031377][/DOUBLEPOST]Have you considered warranty applicability for India? (very important to get warranty for such an expensive piece of hardware).

@GODMODE09 It comes to $2044! I looked up the same laptop which you are referring to, and the estimate which Amazon gives to ship it to Chennai is $2043.55 .

Items:
$1959.00
Estimated shipping and handling: $84.55

Total before tax: $2043.55
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00

Estimated order total: $2043.55

Would suggest that you ship it to someone in the US. Also you would get far better pricing if you phoned into Dell and finalized the laptop.
If it were to be hand carried into India you would not have any customer implications.

Thanks guys.. The dell precision 5510 ( exactly the same as XPS 15 ) costs 1,70,000/- for the 4k display / 16GB / 256SSD / M1000M quatro /i7 Quadcore.
Not sure if M1000M graphic card is good for gaming. Won't be doing any editing /video.
Not sure what to buy. Think XPS 15 will be <1,50,000/- .

@GODMODE09 It comes to $2044! I looked up the same laptop which you are referring to, and the estimate which Amazon gives to ship it to Chennai is $2043.55 .

Items:
$1959.00
Estimated shipping and handling: $84.55

Total before tax: $2043.55
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00

Estimated order total: $2043.55

Thanks .. Any idea how much the customs / other charges ( if any) will be ?
2043$ = 1,37,000/- ( I would buy it at this cost if this is the total cost inc. all taxes & duties)

Thanks .. Any idea how much the customs / other charges ( if any) will be ?
2043$ = 1,37,000/- ( I would buy it at this cost if this is the total cost inc. all taxes & duties)
Price on Amazon has always been all inclusive unless something changed recently, which I don't think has.

Edit - So I checked the above item and since this is sold by a third-party seller and not Amazon themselves, you will have to pay additional customs duty over $2044. Customs duty on Laptops was ~15% in 2015.

Last edited:
And also, when you buy it using a credit or debit card authorized for use only in India, your bank might charge you extra per dollar... You might want to check on that too!

M1000M is a professional graphics for rendering,etc

960m>m1000m

Generally a display on m1000m laptop >> display on 960 m

If you are looking at workstation take a look at HP Zbook and Lenovo Thinkpad P50

I think p50 honours international warranty

Thanks .. The amazon seller is saying 1yr international warranty is there.
He will declare it 50% the actual price and 15-18% might be customs.
I'm not looking particularly for a work station . Want a 4k laptop which is very portable 14-inch or bigger and can support 4K external monitor.
Might also play games at full HD or slightly higher.
Read that M1000M gaming in full HD is not good and GTX960M is much better.
I really like the XPS 15 because it comes in a 14-inch form factor which is really small and portable compared to other 4k notebooks.
Think it would come to 1.5L approx inc. of all .

Thanks .. The amazon seller is saying 1yr international warranty is there.
He will declare it 50% the actual price and 15-18% might be customs.
I'm not looking particularly for a work station . Want a 4k laptop which is very portable 14-inch or bigger and can support 4K external monitor.
Might also play games at full HD or slightly higher.
Read that M1000M gaming in full HD is not good and GTX960M is much better.
I really like the XPS 15 because it comes in a 14-inch form factor which is really small and portable compared to other 4k notebooks.
Think it would come to 1.5L approx inc. of all .
Why would you buy this and not a Clevo kit? Check Azom in India.

Why would you buy this and not a Clevo kit? Check Azom in India.

Looks like an alienware. Way too heavy for my taste. I want something more like the mac air , max mac pro nothing heavier / bigger than that .
I'm trying to get the XPS because even the 15-inch comes in a 14-inch form factor with the same hardware / config. 4K display is a huge plus.
Also I want the laptop screen to be atleast higher than just full HD .

Azom looks interesting though. Thanks for pointing out :)

Looks like an alienware. Way too heavy for my taste. I want something more like the mac air , max mac pro nothing heavier / bigger than that .
I'm trying to get the XPS because even the 15-inch comes in a 14-inch form factor with the same hardware / config. 4K display is a huge plus.
Also I want the laptop screen to be atleast higher than just full HD .

Azom looks interesting though. Thanks for pointing out :)
To be honest, at 14"-17", 4K is almost pointless. At least it doesn't give you any usable pixels. It's basically like Apple over killing it with Retina displays.

EDIT: If you want something LIKE the MacBook Air/ Pro, why not just get yourself one instead. Much better build quality than the XPS for sure.

To be honest, at 14"-17", 4K is almost pointless. At least it doesn't give you any usable pixels. It's basically like Apple over killing it with Retina displays.

EDIT: If you want something LIKE the MacBook Air/ Pro, why not just get yourself one instead. Much better build quality than the XPS for sure.

The current ones are outdated and I'm waiting for the new ones. Read some rumor about 14/15-inch macbook air.
Yeah 4K on a 15-inch is too much but I'm used to better than 1080p and want it be be atleast 2560x1440 or close. My work demands it too. More real estate.

The current ones are outdated and I'm waiting for the new ones. Read some rumor about 14/15-inch macbook air.
Yeah 4K on a 15-inch is too much but I'm used to better than 1080p and want it be be atleast 2560x1440 or close. My work demands it too. More real estate.
That's the thing. At 14-15 inches, you don't really get MORE real estate. So a 2560x1440 will roughly give you the same screen real estate as a 1280x720 because unless you scale up, you're going to find yourself squinting most of the time. In my experience, the only time I actually got noticeably more screen real estate was when I used a 40" UHD monitor.

The only thing you'll get at 14-15 inches is a slightly sharper image.

In my experience a MacBook Air gave me more screen real estate at 1440x900 than a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina (2560x1600) and the same as a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display (2880x1800). I'm telling you, it's manufacturers screwing with us.

Of course you can turn off scaling but then you're at squint galore.

EDIT: Of course, higher resolution would mean a more powerful chip to drive it. So that's another problem.

In my experience a MacBook Air gave me more screen real estate at 1440x900 than a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina (2560x1600) and the same as a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display (2880x1800). I'm telling you, it's manufacturers screwing with us.

Of course you can turn off scaling but then you're at squint galore.

EDIT: Of course, higher resolution would mean a more powerful chip to drive it. So that's another problem.

ok.. GTX960M should be powerful enough. Azom is twice as big as the DELL XPS 15 though for the same config.[DOUBLEPOST=1468327735][/DOUBLEPOST]Guys. I think I'll get the Asus ROG 501VW .. Same config as dell but 4GB 960M instead of 2GB on dell and costs a lot cheaper.
Not considering Azon , alienware and other gaming laptops as they are too big .
Asus looks good , available in India and with same config costs 25k cheaper than Dell..

Last edited:
Back