Budget power supply buying guide

Thanks a lot for your effort to write this guide.
I'm also planning to buy an entry-level PSU for my PC soon as i'm fed up with my current cheapo one.

Sorry but there is no "good" + "budget" power supply under 3k, period. Recommending them as such is misleading IMO.

Considering the S12II 430 is only 500 bucks more than the Eco 500 which you finally picked, its far better to pick the S12II instead.

No, what I'm saying is the *Indian market* does not have a good budget PSU. There are probably a few good quality PSUs for under 50$ in the international market, but they are not available here. As for the pricing, I referred to Flipkart which has the Eco 500 for 3.5k and the S12II 430 for 4k.

If someone buys a midrange GPU and a midrange quad core CPU, but instead of buying a midrange PSU, spends as little as possible, that's their call. But please don't justify it as "good" or "VFM". A Mercury/Frontech/etc PSU costs 6x less than the Eco 500; if someone buys one saying his needs are not high, does it become an even better VFM deal? A unit is either good or not, a low price does not fix its drawbacks.

I've seen the tech report. Everyone knows the Eco is based off the S12II platform - the bigger concern is the cost-cutting with components. No disrespect to Phaedrus, but there's a reason Teapo rhymes with Cheapo. I may sound paranoid about capacitor quality, especially since international reviewers forget that we live in a hot climate, but there are plenty of people like me who have seen mediocre caps like the Teapo turn flaky, to know where to draw the line. If a cap on the output filter turns bad you will not realise it till its too late. If the easy fix is to just use quality caps in the first place, why risk it with cheaper components.

Let me answer your question with another - if the choice of components in the Eco really makes no practical difference, why hasn't Seasonic just replaced the entire S12II series with the Eco series?

P.s.: I have seen a CX430 with starting issues, most likely because of the flaky caps on the 5VSB rail. I have no idea why bssunil is linking me to the CX430, maybe as a joke or he's clueless. In any case, if you're siding with him because he approves of your recommended list of PSUs, you are the only one losing out :)

Hey, its not about approving my recommendations, the 'guide' was created to start a discussion like this. I am not trying to defend myself in any way here, just wanted to know your full side.

Anyway, as to why seasonic does not replace the S12II with the Eco, my guess it that they tried making it a slightly OEM oriented product, with less frills (rather poor looks, no cable sleeves) , with only a 220v input and a reduced warranty (not sure on this). As for the caps, I really don't know much , so i'll take your word.

Back