Btech in IT from good college vs CSE in average college

Ray

Disciple
Hi I recently got wbjee rank 0f 18000.With this rank I am getting IT in good private college but only getting CSE in average private colleges.Which should I take? I heard CSE and IT are 80% same??I have no plan of doing Mtech in future.

If i do Mba in future which is better?(not sure i will do it at this point).
Can a college be judged by its opening and closing rank?

Ray
Usually CSE and IT guys sit together for placements, so no worries there.
Also IT is bit easier than CSE if that bothers you.

I'd suggest you to go for IT in the better college since there you will have better companies for campus recruitment.

Regarding MBA, I dont think that branch will matter much. What will matter is the reputation of the college from which you did your undergrad. So there again IT from better college is advantageous.

Im currently doing BE E&TC and have seen this. However, wait till the other experienced guys pitch in with their suggestions.

Which one to take would depend on your interest.

IMO, colleges (basically professors) are only a tool. If you aren't passionate about something, you aren't going to learn much regardless of whether it is the best institute in the country. The only practical difference is that a reputed college would have more companies for campus placement, while an avg. college might not have that many companies.

I heard CSE and IT are 80% same??
From what I understood in my university, IT has cut off core Comp. Sci. subjects like "Theory of Computation", "Compilers", "DSP", etc. It also dropped mathematics ("Discrete Mathematics"). Overall, the technical depth of IT is not that good. It's another discussion entirely whether the jobs in our services companies require that kind of depth :lol:.

If you want to get into low level 'bare metal' stuff, like Systems Programming, Drivers, Mobiles, Embedded, etc, CSE will be a much better option as a deep technical depth is required.

If you are interested in high level languages, like SAP BASIS, .NET, Java, etc, IT would be the preferred option as usually in these cases avg. technical depth is fine, and domain depth gets much more important.

If you do seriously plan to take a MBA, then clearly you're not planning to be working as part of the technical teams. So no point in slogging with CSE. IT would be clearly a better option.

@Ray heard that IT and CSE are mere similar except in IT, It's more practical and in CSE it's more theory.
Don't know cause I'm ECE student and got a master degree in "LOL"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
IT gets 2nd priority compared to CSE during placements, and some companies do consider CSE but not IT

However, that would be more than made up for by a better college, so B Tech in IT is a better option

@Ray heard that IT and CSE are mere similar except in IT, It's more practical and in CSE it's more theory.
Don't know cause I'm ECE student and got a master degree in "LOL"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOL !! I'm a BE in CSE Passed out last year
So there is nothing such as IT is more pratical and CSE is not....

IT gets 2nd priority compared to CSE during placements, and some companies do consider CSE but not IT

However, that would be more than made up for by a better college, so B Tech in IT is a better option

dafug did you hear that from ?? There is nothing such as IT has 2nd priority....Its the companies requirement that matters
Dude even guys from Electronics dept. work on software projects for infosys :p

@Ray
One advise,you opt for furthur studies or not thats your look out....choose IT or CSE thats again your field of interest
But DO get into a reputed college,its the name that everyone looks for even during placements....better the college more are the opportunities

I'm an IT graduate.

IT, CS will be more or less the same. There will be courses (Last year) which you can opt for which will be closer to Architure or EComm.

CS - More focus on Computer Architecture.
IT - More focus on E-Commerce/Networking*.

*CS of course has Networks as a course too but IT had an additional Networks/Telecommunications course shared with ECE guys.

The IT being practical and CS being Theoretical theory is incorrect.

Placement companies never ask for CS only, its always CS/IT.
MNCs treat CS/IT as the same as far as International Travel is concerned.

Ideally you'd want to go for CS but IT from a good college will be better. College always has a brand name.

There you go.

dafug did you hear that from ?? There is nothing such as IT has 2nd priority....Its the companies requirement that matters
Dude even guys from Electronics dept. work on software projects for infosys :p

Just finished the placement process myself, there were 4-5 companies who didnt allow IT people but allowed CSE

Once you come to MRC's branch is irrelevant, but matters for core companies (again, most considered IT and CSE at par, but not all)

An average CSE college won't have any decent companies, or at least more than 2-3 decent companies any way. So IT makes more sense. Howeever, the ranks don't really vary that much. So you need to be clear which two colleges you are really comparing.

If you are talking within IP university itself, then CSE > IT irrespective of college because all colleges are pretty much equally bad with only little exceptions.

However, IT in DCE > CSE in a B grade NIT or CSE in IPU (though neither of the three is comparable). But so it all depends on the colleges.

Since you are going to do an MBA later I would suggest doing IT from a better college.
As many have mentioned here, both for placements and for doing a MBA, a better UG college scores higher than whether you did CSE or IT.
And all our major Services company like Infy, CTS, TCS treat IT, CSE in the same plane. So dont worry.

Ideally you'd want to go for CS but IT from a good college will be better. College always has a brand name.
Just stating my experience. From what I've seen, college/university only matters during your initial placement. After that, it's all about the projects that you're working on and the depth of your skills. Any subsequent companies will primarily consider your technical skills and your domain expertise; academic achievements/college/univ are secondary, and can be avg.

Unless you're from IIT, your college/university will not matter once you have a job. And even then, at my company, the few IIT'ians we did have were judged on basis of their performance, not on basis of their college.

Now, I have no idea about how much the college/university will matter for a MBA here. If you're looking to pursue it abroad, my understanding is that most universities will require you to have some experience in a managerial/lead role before they will consider your application.

@Ray, good suggestions by DarkAngel and Gryph0n. Btw, do name the colleges, may be I can help a bit better :)

Hi I recently got wbjee rank 0f 18000.With this rank I am getting IT in good private college but only getting CSE in average private colleges.Which should I take? I heard CSE and IT are 80% same??I have no plan of doing Mtech in future.

If i do Mba in future which is better?(not sure i will do it at this point).

Which colleges are you targeting?
When is the counselling.

P.S - I am from Kolkata, I can help a bit.

Sent from my LG-P500

^^ counselling is after aieee result are out in mid june.
I am getting IT in good colleges like Meghnath Saha,MCKV,B C Roy,ST.thomas college,Techno India College of Technology,RCC Institute of Information,B.P. Poddar Institute (based on counselling last year)
CSE in Bengal institute of technology,,JIS,Pailan College of Management &Technology

Just stating my experience. From what I've seen, college/university only matters during your initial placement. After that, it's all about the projects that you're working on and the depth of your skills. Any subsequent companies will primarily consider your technical skills and your domain expertise; academic achievements/college/univ are secondary, and can be avg.

Unless you're from IIT, your college/university will not matter once you have a job. And even then, at my company, the few IIT'ians we did have were judged on basis of their performance, not on basis of their college.

Now, I have no idea about how much the college/university will matter for a MBA here. If you're looking to pursue it abroad, my understanding is that most universities will require you to have some experience in a managerial/lead role before they will consider your application.

Yep I'm talking about placements too. But graduating from a good college will help as far as alumni are concerned too, helps in networking.

Good colleges will generally have better companies with more options while placements. Why go to a college where TCS will be the "Dream" Company.

^^ counselling is after aieee result are out in mid june.
I am getting IT in good colleges like Meghnath Saha,MCKV,B C Roy,ST.thomas college,Techno India College of Technology,RCC Institute of Information,B.P. Poddar Institute (based on counselling last year)
CSE in Bengal institute of technology,,JIS,Pailan College of Management &Technology

St. Thomas, RCC have very good placements.
Meghnad saha(MSIT) is a part of Techno Group and so has good placements too.
But Techno colleges have a kind of pool campus where 2-3 of the Techno Group colleges sit for the same company at once.

I have not followed the placement pattern last year of MCKV and so cannot say how good it was lst year but since it has a proven track record, I would not worry too much.

And are you not getting IT in Future or Netaji Subhas?
Even though Netaji Subhas is a part of Techno Group, some extra companies come there for recruitment. As far as i know, Accenture comes for on-campus recruitment.
And Future has very good placement record too.

Please avoid the colleges that you have mentioned you are getting CSE in. They are very new. Things may change in 4years time but who knows what will be the economic climate then.

The top 10-15 colleges under WBUT are almost at the same level when considering brand value. IEM is the only exception.

And St. Thomas and Netaji Subhas have made a name for themselves in terms of the quality of students that they produce. But that is only for your first job. After that, you will be known for the projects that you have worked upon.

St.Thomas is known for its discipline. Keep that in mind if you do choose it.
And since it is a campus partner of Cognizant, a lot of people get placed in CTS. But 4 years down the line, things may change.
But whatever happens, more of the mass recruiters will still visit St. Thomas, Netaji Subhas, RCC, MSIT, MCKV rather than the ones that you have mentioned for CSE.

Sent from my LG-P500

Back