BSNL increases pre FUP speed, starts at min 8 Mbps

Finally.

upload_2017-11-23_10-13-0.png

upload_2017-11-23_10-15-22.png

ADSL STATS are not good. Specially Downstream SNR. So far no line drop. Lets see.
I haven't changed the CAT-5 cable from DP to my home. Its almost 9-10 years old.

My upstream rate was 768 Kbps previously. Lowered to 512 now. :( Getting 1.1-1.2 MBps in IDM. :D

How far do u stay from bsnl exchange? Anyone has any idea what's limit for speed for ADSL connection due to distance? I stay not more than 3 kms from the exchange.

Had filed complaint for the fourth time in this month itself. So got a call from bsnl exchange. According to them line quality isnt good enough to give those speeds. So i said, its better i should stop the service then. So they said, they shall check few things and call back again. Now speed is increased to 6973 kbps for down link but not full 8 mbps.

I am getting a feeling like they are intentionally restricting speed so to reduce load on their infrastructure. Lets see. how much i can stretch them further.

I dont know technical details but have a doubt. Why cant they set downlink speeds to theoretically expected speed according to plan? Let me get whatever speed according to line setup to my place. Isnt that minimum expectations? If i get lower than expected speed then one can blame the line installation etc. But why lock the speed to lower value in the first place.....

Any networking fellow share info about such case?

My adsl link going during 12- 5pm time for last 3 days. Not sure whats going on.

Check for Adsl Line Stats. and post the screenshot.

@Harpy.eagle Post the ADLS line stats from your ADSL Modem. Theoretically ADSL2+ can support upto 24 Mbps but in real world scenario and specially age old BSNL wiring it is not feasible for some customers.

internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

ADSL2+ Sync rates

Less than 1km should be 23-24Mbit
1.0km = 13.81dB = 23Mbit
1.5km = 20.7dB = 21Mbit
2.0km = 27.6dB = 18Mbit
2.5km = 34.5dB = 13Mbit
3.0km = 41.4dB = 8Mbit
3.5km = 48.3dB = 6Mbit
4.0km = 56dB = 4Mbit
4.5km = 62.1dB = 3Mbit
5.0km = 69dB = 2Mbit

Source : http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21245835-ADSL-ADSL2-Speeds-VS-Distance

Your Line Attenuation is 32.5. I think 10-15 Mbits is doable if we go by the above graph theory although above stats and graph is from Canadian Telco so we can not expect same thing from BSNL.
You can ask them again to increase the Line Rate and see how it goes. Also check for wiring from Junction box to your Splitter as SNR margin is low.
Even my SNR margin low too but so far i haven't faced any line drop issue.
Do you face line drop ?

Your Line Attenuation is 32.5. I think 10-15 Mbits is doable if we go by the above graph theory although above stats and graph is from Canadian Telco so we can not expect same thing from BSNL.
You can ask them again to increase the Line Rate and see how it goes. Also check for wiring from Junction box to your Splitter as SNR margin is low.
Even my SNR margin low too but so far i haven't faced any line drop issue.
Do you face line drop ?

I think bsnl has given up on my issue. They just bluffed that person will come to check my line. But nobody came. And when i said there is little increase in speed to 5-6mbps (instead of 8mbps) they assumed its good enough.[DOUBLEPOST=1511954351][/DOUBLEPOST]Another update, just checked router config page today as my router (tp-link 8968) also has become serious PIA dropping wifi and getting hanged etc every now and then. And found a good surprise. Down link speed increased to 8535 kbps. Earlier for sometime it was 91XX kbps and now reduced a bit. Anyway my plan is 645 rs pm so i would be content with 8mbps speed according to plan.

Last edited:
So my connection one day suddenly developed issues. Far last two weeks its been on and off during the day. Complained twice. Finally yesterday got a call and said they will change the port. Turns out they lowered the port speed to around 4mbps

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 224
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 4096

My line was doing just fine. I think they changed the port first, which caused issues in the first place, cause otherwise it was going just fine. No rains, nothing. I called them after the sudden issues cropped up and then they changed line speed to 4mbps. The guy bsnl hired keeps giving random replies and trying to fool me to get out of the issue.

Secondly, got 2 calls (1 few days ago) saying that they got a call from my landline number and calling back. I smell some real foul play here.

Last edited:
So my connection one day suddenly developed issues. Far last two weeks its been on and off during the day. Complained twice. Finally yesterday got a call and said they will change the port. Turns out they lowered the port speed to around 4mbps

My line was doing just fine. I think they changed the port first, which caused issues in the first place, cause otherwise it was going just fine. No rains, nothing. I called them after the sudden issues cropped up and then they changed line speed to 4mbps. The guy bsnl hired keeps giving random replies and trying to fool me to get out of the issue.

Secondly, got 2 calls (1 few days ago) saying that they got a call from my landline number and calling back. I smell some real foul play here.

i also had issues with the ADSL link .the SNR dropped to 10 after the speed increase.
So , i asked them to set the DSLAM port speed back to 4mbps and now my SNR is back to 25 +.

basic issue here is that their infrastructure is not properly laid to provide 10 Mbps speeds over ADSL.
you will always have issues or disconnections if SNR is < 10.

better to have a working 4 Mbps connection that to have a non working 10Mbps connection.
anyways FUP data is too low for a 10 Mbps speed.

Keep logging complaint periodically. And threaten to stop service when u receive a call from exchange. A senior manager will call u to help out. That worked for me when my speed wasn't upgraded to 8mbps.

Keep logging complaint periodically. And threaten to stop service when u receive a call from exchange. A senior manager will call u to help out. That worked for me when my speed wasn't upgraded to 8mbps.
they already provided 10mbps speed but line started developing issues.
SDO came to my house with a lineman and a network technician.
They tried everything from changing pairs to port., but SNR was not getting over 15 .the reason is the underground cable.
that is old and needs replacement.so at the moment i am stuck at 4mbps.[DOUBLEPOST=1512462873][/DOUBLEPOST]NOTE:- i filed complaint at DOT consumer grievance portal

They tried everything from changing pairs to port., but SNR was not getting over 15 .the reason is the underground cable.
that is old and needs replacement.so at the moment i am stuck at 4mbps.[DOUBLEPOST=1512462873][/DOUBLEPOST]NOTE:- i filed complaint at DOT consumer grievance portal
If it doesnt work then change to fiber.[DOUBLEPOST=1512469765][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes I'll be doing that. This is shady stuff to begin with. How does a port working well suddenly have problems? Especially after losing link completely for hours. They definitely gave a good port to someone else handed me a shit one.

Hmm. So it will take quite a bit of time, if at all they work on improving the cabling.

But on a side note, bsnl taking so much efforts to sort out customer issues, that itself is a great achievement and gives eternal peace :D.

Who said, 'Elephants cant dance'? :joyful::cool:

[DOUBLEPOST=1512469765][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yes I'll be doing that. This is shady stuff to begin with. How does a port working well suddenly have problems? Especially after losing link completely for hours. They definitely gave a good port to someone else handed me a shit one.

On first call (after several complaints) from exchange, fellow said if they increase speed for me, connection will become very unstable disconnecting frequently etc. So i said to him, ' then its better for me to stop the service' :D So he asked me to wait. Later got a call from senior manager. lol.

Their claim of unstable connection could be valid for many people also but atleast they should be try to give (unlock) speed first. Customer is entitled for it. If it doesnt work out, one can revert to lower speed.

Hmm. So it will take quite a bit of time, if at all they work on improving the cabling.

But on a side note, bsnl taking so much efforts to sort out customer issues, that itself is a great achievement and gives eternal peace :D.

Who said, 'Elephants cant dance'? :joyful::cool:
i recently found out that there is a FTTH service provided by sikka in my area.
they are offering 50 Mbps with 220 Gb FUP and 2 Mbps unlimited on 1:1 plan @ 999 + TAX.
so after talking to the people using the service and personally testing the connection i have decided to move to FTTH
So its a goodbye to BSNL from my end in few days. :)

Back