BSNL FTTH

BSNL is not being "made" to bleed. It is already bleeding. Maybe the govt does not want to give 4g spectrum to BSNL coz it's taxpayer monies going to waste if BSNL cannot function efficiently in the first place. Govt can force railways to use BSNL but why do that? Let it be an open market. Railways chooses the best tech at best prices. Not artificially lowered prices at taxpayer expense.
So you will want to help an outsider than your own family who is equally capable.

So you will want to help an outsider than your own family who is equally capable.

Our difference of opinion is that I guess you are saying BSNL is "being made to bleed". I am saying BSNL is being helped to recover with these moves like VRS and other cost cutting. Are you saying the employees are right to strike against the VRS and other cost cutting moves?

I can maybe agree/support their strike of not getting 4G spectrum, but perhaps the govt wants to earn more monies by auctioning to highest bidder and not give it at a artifically reduced price to BSNL?[DOUBLEPOST=1550127303][/DOUBLEPOST]BSNL does not have the money and cannot afford to bid for 4g spectrum, am I wrong?

Our difference of opinion is that I guess you are saying BSNL is "being made to bleed". I am saying BSNL is being helped to recover with these moves like VRS and other cost cutting. Are you saying the employees are right to strike against the VRS and other cost cutting moves?

I can maybe agree/support their strike of not getting 4G spectrum, but perhaps the govt wants to earn more monies by auctioning to highest bidder and not give it at a artifically reduced price to BSNL?
What money from what auction. No buyers for what the govt wants to auction. ( The so called 1.76 lakh cores shit)
And you realise higher cost means higher usage fee. And when only one co will be calling shots , you can be prepared to pay thru your noses for data and voice. See the balance sheets of Voda - idea and Airtel , they have been loosing heavy cos they paid high spectrum charges. Where as Jio has paid next to nothing .

Where as Jio has paid next to nothing .

Yeah, this thread can veer off into Jio and gormint collusion and corruption topic. Back to BSNL FTTH topic :D

They have restored monthly FUP for the 777 and 1277 plans but my selfcare portal (Pune) still showing the current daily FUP plan.

These may not be the best plans but are pretty decent for people like me with no other option other than BSNL so it's a godsend.

Hopefully the stupid employees will cooperate with the VRS and cost cutting plans to make the company healthy and reduce losses.

If BSNL closes shop then I will be left with no high speed broadband internet connection at all :(

Yeah, this thread can veer off into Jio and gormint collusion and corruption topic. Back to BSNL FTTH topic :D

They have restored monthly FUP for the 777 and 1277 plans but my selfcare portal (Pune) still showing the current daily FUP plan.

These may not be the best plans but are pretty decent for people like me with no other option other than BSNL so it's a godsend.

Hopefully the stupid employees will cooperate with the VRS and cost cutting plans to make the company healthy and reduce losses.

If BSNL closes shop then I will be left with no high speed broadband internet connection at all :(
Thinking of shifting to FTTH. How much was the installation etc?

Thinking of shifting to FTTH. How much was the installation etc?

FTTH installation will depend on your LCO/vendor (local cable operator) in your area. For me they didn't charge any installation (wiring etc) but they did charge me the full MRP of 3k for the fiber modem. The same modem is/was available online at half the price. So I can consider 1.5k for modem and 1.5k for their wiring installation charge effectively.

Plus, BSNL will charge you an extra one month's plan amount as security deposit in the first bill, no initial deposit amount to be paid to the LCO to be safe.

I was interested to get FTTH but it meant I'll get another phone line. I want to retain my old BSNL landline and it turns out I have to pay e xtra just to keep it alive, although I won't be using it.

That was the deal breaker. Plus the person who spoke to me said that FTTH is currently not given to our area despite being 200 meters from a BSNL telephone exchange and he would take my request into consideration.

Sigh, back to the horrible ADSL.

BSNL is making an aggressive push to roll out FTTH to more areas so it will probably just be a matter of time before you get it too.

Aggressive push means they are doing things like sharing 50-50 income with LCOs/vendors to deliver and maintain the wiring etc so BSNL does not have to worry about doing everything themselves which is a good model IMO.

My area telephone exchange I thought would be the last place on earth to get FTTH but they rolled it out in April 2018 much to my surprise. I took the connection at the end of September 2018 when the 1277 plan became available pan-India at that time.[DOUBLEPOST=1550131889][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sigh, back to the horrible ADSL.

Yeah optic fiber FTTH wiring is much more stable and easier to roll out and maintain than copper ADSL wiring. No more frequent disconnections (for example due to rains) and stable high speeds (50-100 mbps or more) thanks to no electrical interference or anything like that.[DOUBLEPOST=1550132036][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is a nice recent 5 minute video with BSNL's director of CFA (consumer fixed access) division about their FTTH rollout push:

By disruption they will kill competition and then you will be their slave life long. The will not allow any one else to flourish.
Will you like it if you had only Intel in pc market?
Cpu graphic ssd etc etc

And that's the whole point of the protest and strikes . BSNL IS being made to bleed so that Jio can flourish. Why isn't the govt giving 4g spectrum to bsnl? If govt wants it can make railways use bsnl for its CUG instead of Jio.
By disruption nothing can be killed but in fact more competitors enter the fray and try to offer better.
Govt should be regulating the tariffs and this is all what we need.
Just think BSNL sells the Spectrum to all private players but they are the last to follow it. Why?
Because they are stupidly lazy.No.
Can they implement? Yes, they can but they wont.
Whose wrong is it?Govt's?
If the govt was in fact not letting BSNL do it? What for?
Then where are those UNIONS doing?
Because they are getting paid whether or not what happens.Right?
This kind of thinking does not do us good at all.
I am not a bhakt but I appreciate what Modi is doing.

bsnl unions and babus are reason for not implementing anything. they have done well in last few years. they have been mothballed by money from pvt. telco.[DOUBLEPOST=1550166988][/DOUBLEPOST]corruption in bsnl needs to be out. nothing else. let them work. they will work well.

I am not a bhakt but I appreciate what Modi is doing.

In this specific thread issue, you mean giving multiple sops and leeway to Jio, breaking, not just bending rules and regulation regarding launch timeliness from licence date, providing free services for way beyond the specified limit etc. etc.

Coz, whatever you think they may have done for BSNL, they've done a 100-fold for Jio

FTTH installation will depend on your LCO/vendor (local cable operator) in your area. For me they didn't charge any installation (wiring etc) but they did charge me the full MRP of 3k for the fiber modem. The same modem is/was available online at half the price. So I can consider 1.5k for modem and 1.5k for their wiring installation charge effectively.

Plus, BSNL will charge you an extra one month's plan amount as security deposit in the first bill, no initial deposit amount to be paid to the LCO to be safe.

Hang on are you talking about bsnl ftth or local networks?? I think @Party Monger was talking about bsnl...

bsnl has outsourced the ftth business. I myself got same exp. last week. i was calling and asking in local exchange. all they would say is infrastructure is ready but permission from district level to give connection. next week found one agent. came home discussed plan and all. in two days fiber line was up and running.[DOUBLEPOST=1550209142][/DOUBLEPOST]can you show some concrete links and reports showing how jio was helped by prime minister. Jio was extended time again by congres.
we want to see jio was helped by current govt.

Wow, this is news. So their already useless linemen now have even less work to do?

Yeah optic fiber FTTH wiring is much more stable and easier to roll out and maintain than copper ADSL wiring. No more frequent disconnections (for example due to rains) and stable high speeds (50-100 mbps or more) thanks to no electrical interference or anything like that.
Actually thats true in theory. My friend has fibre connection and since the wiring is overhead, he faces cuts 3-4 days in a month. Ironically he has a bsnl adsl connection as back up. :D

Can you give the link to the modem and any other parts they charged you for? I always prefer to buy these or chose from different vendors.[DOUBLEPOST=1550213042][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was talking about BSNL - they also partner with LCOs (called vendors) to handle the work of setting up the connections with revenue sharing agreements.
This is why I have avoided fibre till now :|

Is that one cut lasting 3-4 days per month or 3-4 separate cuts per month? Maybe your friend has competing LCOs in the area who are intentionally cutting the fiber wires.

For me luckily (touchwood) no issues for the past 5 months since I got FTTH. Now just waiting for the power cuts in summer and the monsoon season to see how the connection holds up.

It's safer to get the modem your LCO provides since there's a chance of incompatibility with the server side OLT (optical line terminal) equipment at the telephone exchange. For example I have a GEPON modem and there is other type of GPON (no E here). My model is the DigiSol DG-GR1010 which is/was available on flipkart and amazon. Another popular brand is Syrotech apparently. If you want to buy your own you can ask your LCO what OLT is installed on the server side and then try to figure out if the device you want to get is compatible with it.

You've avoided fiber because of LCOs? Yeah my LCO luckily is a competent group of people and I have no competition issues where one LCO cuts the wires of another at the moment.

Maybe your friend has competing LCOs in the area who are intentionally cutting the fiber wires.

This is most probably the reason. In my experience fiber is the most reliable connectivity option compared to even wireless systems like wimax etc.

You've avoided fiber because of LCOs? Yeah my LCO luckily is a competent group of people and I have no competition issues where one LCO cuts the wires of another at the moment.

I'm personally using a local network (if you can call ssv local), and they handle issues pretty well. Their setup is not perfect, especially in more remote areas, but it does the job. I was just surprised than BSNL is using local guys, speaks volumes about their competency in comparison.

Back