Bsc IT or BMS , please help guys!

techspark

Disciple
Hi, i am an engineering dropout. I was puruing B.E IT from mumbai university but had to quit college as i found engg syllabus difficult to handle . I hated non IT subjects and was really frustrated with the amount of lessons and assignments we get which are no where related to IT.

So, now this year i am going to apply for either BSC IT or BMS. I am fairly good at computers and programming, but really at the end of it i would like to do where i can find a good job and a great career ahead.

I have some questions , please answer them :

1. What type of job can i expect after i complete BSC IT or BMS ?
2. Is it true i have to program for many hours if i get a job after completing BSC IT (I cannot do program for long )
3. What has more future scope, i might do an MBA later on.
4. BSc it vs Bms , which has better job offerings (assuming i am very good an proficient student) ?

Also, please let me know of some good colleges for BSC IT in mumbai. Open to other course recommedations as well.

Somethings abt me :
1. I hate chem,phy and some parts of maths.
2. I have no good understanding of BMS syllabus and type of studies i will be doing but i have a liking towards management jobs.
3. Good at programming, troubleshooting etc

Thanks..all replies will b appreciated.

What is BMS ?.

1. All depends on your luck and extent to which you are good in programming and also the placement record of college. My cousin had got into Tech Mahindra after BSC IT and is doing pretty well but she is a tester and not a developer so no programming.
2. Working hard and for how much hour depends on your project more than your degree , a engineer also will have to put loads of time into work if project demands so.
3. Again i dont know what is BMS so cant comment. You need to be good at maths to some extent to get into a good MBA college (for the aptitude part)

What is BMS ?.

3. Again i dont know what is BMS so cant comment. You need to be good at maths to some extent to get into a good MBA college (for the aptitude part)
BMS = Bachelor in Management Studies
If you feel you have managerial skills,handling tough situations with ease, go for BMS.
After BMS you have chances to get into sales,event management,technical presentations and all.
I have a friend who has done his BMS and now works for Honda(Cars) for their sales. If you don't find programming and computer subjects digestive go for BMS.
However i can't guarantee you the pay scale while comparing BSC IT and BMS coz it all depends on you talent regardless of any course you take.
You will have go through numerous presentations,event managements during your course to shape you communication and management skills as it is done in MBA.
Go for a good college coz the brand matters for your placements.

Its better if u go for bms. Its easier than bsc.IT and the syllabus is the base for the MBA syllabus, so you'd find MBA easier. Also, the bms syllabus involves a lot of presentations and group projects, which will eventually improve your confidence when speaking in front of a big audience, which you would have to do a lot, as a manager....so I'd recommend the bms ug course if you're planning on MBA....

As you told you hate non-related stuff then go for B.Sc.I.T as it is good then B.M.S if u'r current likes and positive points are to be of consent.

Me to perusing B.Sc.I.T and find it easy and interesting and do see B.M.S student getting there But ;) Kicked out on every aspect.

Where are you located in Bombay?

If you are around/ can come around Andheri area, we can talk, I can share my experiences on work that people do in IT, Business and also roles that play between BOTH.

I've worked in both fields for many years. We can talk so you have a better insight into what is REALLY there, compared to what you think is there in INDUSTRY.

Also, for a more clear conversation it would be nice if you could dig up the BSc IT & BMS Syllabus from somewhere. Then, we can connect exactly what you will have to STUDY through your ACADEMIC years, and what you will REALLY HAVE TO DO at WORK after your ACADEMIC years. Both, needed not always have a relationship.

PS:
During my time I wanted to drop out of engineering due to the very same reasons. Of course, the family did not let me. BE was a pain.. and I wish no student has to go through that crap. I can say that no more than 3-6 months of what all I had go through years of engineering. I've ever used in my life/ career/ work.

Thank you guys for all your inputs. Much appreciated. I have filled up forms for both BSC IT and BMS at the moment , but i m confident i will get in both, so really got to make the tough decision to choose 1

Where are you located in Bombay?

If you are around/ can come around Andheri area, we can talk, I can share my experiences on work that people do in IT, Business and also roles that play between BOTH.
Thanks for your reply. I live at sion, but can come to andheri.

Also, for a more clear conversation it would be nice if you could dig up the BSc IT & BMS Syllabus from somewhere. Then, we can connect exactly what you will have to STUDY through your ACADEMIC years, and what you will REALLY HAVE TO DO at WORK after your ACADEMIC years. Both, needed not always have a relationship
B.M.S. - Heres the syllabus for BMS
B.Sc. (IT) - Bsc IT

To be honest, i am pretty good to computers including programming and bits of hardware and networking. I love to play around and experiment things but i am not sure if i can do thins professionally and do coding for 8 hours everyday.
On the other hand, i think BMS should be easy for me . I am good at maths, have no issues doing presentations and projects.

PS:
During my time I wanted to drop out of engineering due to the very same reasons. Of course, the family did not let me. BE was a pain.. and I wish no student has to go through that crap. I can say that no more than 3-6 months of what all I had go through years of engineering. I've ever used in my life/ career/ work.

+ 1000 Ditto reason. I got so frustrated by the fact that i will never use these things in real life so why am i wasting my 4 years.

Anyways, look forward to your reply, feel free to PM me. Thanks again for your response and your willingness to share your experience and guide me. Cheers!

I got so frustrated by the fact that i will never use these things in real life so why am i wasting my 4 years.
I totally disagree to this point. It depends on what job profile you get after your graduation.
I found my engineering useful coz it gave me the logical explanations to the new concepts i came through in my job.
There are many things you learn in your college days and actually implement them.
For a simple instance, the concept of RAID was there for 3-4 times in different subjects across different semesters.
I had to implement RAID on servers in my office.
So you can't just overlook stuff you already learned with the silly excuse of not using it in the future.

I totally disagree to this point. It depends on what job profile you get after your graduation.
I found my engineering useful coz it gave me the logical explanations to the new concepts i came through in my job.
There are many things you learn in your college days and actually implement them.
For a simple instance, the concept of RAID was there for 3-4 times in different subjects across different semesters.
So you can't just overlook stuff you already learned with the silly excuse of not using it in the future.
True...I agree with you..I dint mean all of it is not useful...but if u see the usual situation is that if u get placed on campus.. U hv to go through training for a year from that company and that is what u actually end up implementing. I am not saying engg is waste of time...but the engg syllabus and pattern of teaching needs a serious facelift. There are loads of things one will learn during the course but for me it js dint happen and the syllabus along with the way of assessing a student were the biggest reasons.

Doing software development isn't the sole option in IT.

As fLUX mentioned, testing is a very good alternative. I've had a colleague who shifted from programming to testing, and found it much easier to excel. Because of his programming background, he could easily script/automate things, and this won accolades.

Similarly, IT administration is another field you could take. Again here, a 'friend of a friend' shifted from programming and was able to get accolades due to automating some things that used to be done manually.

In short, programming is a pretty useful skill even if you aren't into software development, and you have choices other than software development.

If you do seriously plan on MBA, then BMS would be a better option. However if you want to pursue MBA abroad, do keep in mind that many universities abroad will require you to have some management experience before considering your application.

Given crashnburn's experience, you should take up his offer & talk and/or meet him.

.but the engg syllabus and pattern of teaching needs a serious facelift.
I too agree the same....the bookworms who can memorize well can master engineering.
And to tell you some funny facts of this years BE exams in Mumbai University.
Papers were leaked in all colleges.Papers for the KT exams were disclosed in the normal exams.Ultimately the papers were reset and the students had a tough with the tough papers.

Yes and No. You are a rare exception that got to use something. Most of the BE syllabus was CRAP! and useless. You cant study UNINSPIRING crap.. if it does not interest you. Atleast in the US, you get to choose your courses/ subjects. I cant for the life of me hate how crappy it was to mug up Fourier Transforms. And, mugging up so much crap that never came into application for ME or any of my classmates.

Fact is, most Diploma guys beat BE guys hands down due to practical exposure. And whatever you learnt about RAID over different semesters can be learnt in a shorter, more practical and real applicable style. I bet I could teach you more RAID or you could SELF-LEARN in way way way lesser time.

Of course, of that 4 years of crap.. some bits pieces can come handy. So, everyone should waste that much time doing that. Best thing in life :p (Sarcasm)

Having spent time with some very senior people on how to revamp the educational system, its a big gap. Forget India, even in the US despite studies there being so flexible there is major talk of big gaps in the educational system.

Travelstar - I have a few more requests to meet. If you guys are keen maybe I could grab you guys if you are serious about coming. But, if you are taking this for granted and gonna be FLAKY! then dont. I have no interest in wasting my time for flaky people.

Out of the many people I help/ guide, few flaky ones come in and I am not a big fan of that. Respect your own and others time.

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Someone suggested having a Meetup so here goes.

MEETUP Thread - Those who are interested can post with their interest and availability.

- Keep your "issues" and "personal stuff" offline or in PMs.
- Scheduling and meeting multiple people will be easier if we all stick to this thread for now.

http://www.techenclave.com/events-meets/career-life-guidance-meetup-mumbai-132673/

Yes and No. You are a rare exception that got to use something. Most of the BE syllabus was CRAP! and useless. You cant study UNINSPIRING crap.. if it does not interest you. Atleast in the US, you get to choose your courses/ subjects. I cant for the life of me hate how crappy it was to mug up Fourier Transforms. And, mugging up so much crap that never came into application for ME or any of my classmates.

Fact is, most Diploma guys beat BE guys hands down due to practical exposure. And whatever you learnt about RAID over different semesters can be learnt in a shorter, more practical and real applicable style. I bet I could teach you more RAID or you could SELF-LEARN in way way way lesser time.

Of course, of that 4 years of crap.. some bits pieces can come handy. So, everyone should waste that much time doing that. Best thing in life :p (Sarcasm)

I totally agree with you on these points. I swear if I hadn't come across Computer Networks in the 3rd year, I would not have known what I really wanted to do after Engineering! And mind you, I did not learn any basics in the first 2 years for CN, so in actuality I did not learn anything worthwhile. And I'm not exaggerating.

I also agree about the Diploma guys being wizards when it came to programming. They were experts in Java, C, C++ and some of them even had knowledge of C# etc. I distinctly remember 2-3 of the Diploma students teaching our "teachers" some programs which they later taught us :|
@crashnburn - From what you have suggested about yourself, I would really recommend you try to get into the Administration side of I.T. I started my career there in a small firm and loved the first 2 years. You basically get paid to tinker around in a small firm. And when you finally plan your move to a bigger firm, you come across as a very experienced and knowledgeable person since you had so much freedom in the first place! Just my experience. :p

Find someone who is working in System/Server Administration and try to understand what their daily tasks involve. I think you'll find it fun. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Thanks. I did IT Admin work when I was in my 1s & 2nd year of BE. The network guys used to come looking for me when something was wrong. They would typically find me on some comp lab in college. During my 2nd year my buddy hacked one of the only ISPs of the day.
That was a long time ago..

PPS: I've been advising Fortune 10/20s & CxOs on strategic directionfor MANY years now.

Most of the BE syllabus was CRAP! and useless. You cant study UNINSPIRING crap.. if it does not interest you. Atleast in the US, you get to choose your courses/ subjects.
Th RAID thing was just a small example.And i used it coz i was working with a RAID configuration in my office while posting.
"Most of the BE syllabus was CRAP!" I assume you had a tough time with your engineering days.Our syllabus is always copied from some other university and recommendation of some 5-6 500+ odd paged books which would require scratching our brains and a$$e$...Although we would have notes of some classes for our rescue on 2-3 days before the exams..pity for all of us.:comfort:
"I bet I could teach you more RAID"
I am not into bragging stuff,there are lot to learn in RAID which was not taught in college,FYI.
"Diploma guys beat BE guys hands down due to practical exposure"Even i have seen this.My final year project was single handedly done by such a guy.my contribution was only tits and bit:bleh:

I swear if I hadn't come across Computer Networks in the 3rd year, I would not have known what I really wanted to do after Engineering! And mind you, I did not learn any basics in the first 2 years for CN, so in actuality I did not learn anything worthwhile. And I'm not exaggerating.
Find someone who is working in System/Server Administration and try to understand what their daily tasks involve. I think you'll find it fun. :)

Are you into networking or something??

During my 2nd year my buddy hacked one of the only ISPs of the day.
PPS: I've been advising Fortune 10/20s & CxOs on strategic directionfor MANY years now.
We too had such notorious chaps in our college...One had crashed the bios of a machine in our first year to avenge an IT administrator.
Hack laser printers which were inaccessible to students to take journal printouts.
"Fortune 10/20s & CxOs" Can you elaborate please.

At today's time I.T. is the way to go as many B.M.S people are facing tuff condition while studying as I have seen .

I don't know how do they take that syllabus around them ????

As you belong from Science field B.M.S would be altogether a different field for you and trust me B.M.S is way too boring (few of my friends told me)
I myself cleared my TyBsc.IT this year and found Bsc.IT interesting except few subjects like ERP, CRM, TSCM(yuck), PSDC etc otherwise its quite interesting.
C, C++, C#, JAVA, SQL and VB are really interesting.
If you are scared reading those bulky books and awful topics go for Bsc.IT.
Best Colleges? many are there : NM, Patkar, Mithibai, KC, St. Andrews, Bhavans etc.
Rest depends on you, Good Luck :)

Are you into networking or something??
Umm, not exactly networking. I started out with basic system/server administration. Now with a single job switch and 2.5 years of experience, I am in a comfortable position (getting loads to learn and earning a decent salary).

Thank you guys for all your inputs. Much appreciated.
At today's time I.T. is the way to go as many B.M.S people are facing tuff condition while studying as I have seen .

I don't know how do they take that syllabus around them ????

I agree bro, BMS syllabus not so interesting, but the fact of the matter is i have plans on doing MBA after graduation, hence i am inclinde more towards BMS and i have a greater chance of getting admission into BMS in nearby colleges.

As you belong from Science field B.M.S would be altogether a different field for you and trust me B.M.S is way too boring (few of my friends told me)
I myself cleared my TyBsc.IT this year and found Bsc.IT interesting except few subjects like ERP, CRM, TSCM(yuck), PSDC etc otherwise its quite interesting.
C, C++, C#, JAVA, SQL and VB are really interesting.
If you are scared reading those bulky books and awful topics go for Bsc.IT.
Best Colleges? many are there : NM, Patkar, Mithibai, KC, St. Andrews, Bhavans etc.
True and i love computers. I like to code and to experiement/mess around with stuff and try new things. But i only do this as hobby, i donno if i can do coding for 8 hrs a day or if i will be willing to learn new languages and changes in technology as i get old. Infact this is the only thing stopping me , or else IT would have been my choice, eyes closed.

As for colleges, i have only 2 options currently :

1. Sies (not sure)
2. Vidyalankar school of information technology (no idea if you guys heard of it) - Vidyalankar School of Information Technology, Wadala, Mumbai. VSIT Offers three year Under-Graduate Program in 5 streams, two year Post-Graduate Program in 4 streams, Distance Education and also add-on courses.

Umm, not exactly networking. I started out with basic system/server administration. Now with a single job switch and 2.5 years of experience, I am in a comfortable position (getting loads to learn and earning a decent salary).

Can you let me know what kind of work i will be doing if i choose networking or system administration. I have little to no clue in this area. I am only familar with sofware development. It will be nice if you can also let me know the salary i can expect once i reach a respectable position and how long will it take for me to reach a good position where i am paid well and how do u compare it to an mba (leaving aside the area of interest issue)

Thanks again guys.!

Back