Bookmark Sync across platforms ?

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
was using Xmarks since the beginning but now as they shut down im unable to find a reliable bookmark sync tool.

can someone shed some light on this if they discovered something.
i use combination of firefox & palemoon in macOS & windows.

i am not looking for any bells and whistles, pure bookmark sync tools. i have a central server in my home connected to the network, if anything locally will also work.

He wants bookmark sync across multiple Browsers.
Does that mean mixing all bookmarks from multiple browsers into one database?
Or is it like synching individually from each browser under one common account and restore those bookmarks into their browsers individually? Like we use lastpass....all logins under single account.
Interesting concept for browser.

For Firefox I just use the default firefox sync.
i don't like the UI of new Firefox so using Palemoon in Windows. ( firefox in mac)
Could have used default firefox bookmarks but palemoon & FF use their own methods so will not cross-sync.

Also need to keep backups for future reinstalls.

Does that mean mixing all bookmarks from multiple browsers into one database?
yes.
Xmarks was compatible with FF & PM, was doing the task wonderfully.

Checked open/next cloud, seem too much complicated to setup for me. Looks like i have to switch to PM in mac as well & setup the sync.

Lastpass is not trusted company, they are engaged in unethical activities and known to sell user's personal data. Their crap is full of vulnerabilities.

I dont think so lastpass is in unethical practices. Using it since many years. And you are just gonna store bookmarks and not any passwords then why so insecure?

Cause lastpass (which is owned by logmein) gutted a service which they'd bought and didn't do anything with it.

I dont think so lastpass is in unethical practices. Using it since many years. And you are just gonna store bookmarks and not any passwords then why so insecure?
there was a huge thread in reddit privacy sub about it, im unable to locate it right this moment. but we can still get a glimpse of it in Wikipedia and a little here https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/3se87l/lastpass_shares_your_browsing_history_without/
it not about storing something, its about their tracking, they track your all browser activity.

Logmein was once our official remote working in enterprise environment but later they failed miserably in audits ( if i correct properly it was year 2012-13). They slowly became unethical company after a management changes during the same time..

You seem to be using only Firefox and it's derivatives. You could run your own Firefox sync server.
I've been planning on doing that for sometime now, but have been too lazy to get it done. This weekend, maybe.
Sorry - just read that Palemoon and Firefox don't sync.

I was using Delicious (del.icio.us) bookmarks for years, before it too shutdown/was taken over and scrapped. Diigo was providing a free migration from Delicious at the time, so made sense as an alternative. It has an experience similar to Delicious, apart from add-ons like page capture, annotations etc, extensions for most browsers and apps for Android/iOS

Pocket is another option, but more of a save for later tool, than bookmarking.

There was a DIY sync which used opencloud, I will need to google for it.
ownCloud and Nextcloud have their own apps as well for bookmarks sync, I believe. A good option if you have a self hosted setup

Back