Best headphone under Rs. 10,000/- for listening music and watching movies

Hello All,

I am looking to buy headphones under Rs. 10,000/- for listening music (20% time) and watching videos (80% time) on Mac (mostly Netflix and Amazon Prime). I like bass on higher side and sound stage is most important. I have shortlisted following headphones:
  1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50x: Have read many good reviews about them. They are little heavier on bass side which perfectly suites me. However I read that sound stage is not that great.
  2. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm: These are classic cans with balanced sound and great sound stage. However they are not bassy which is kind of a deal breaker for me.
  3. Ultrasone Performance 820: These are higher on lows and highs with V shape sound signature. And apparently these have great sound stage due to their SLogic Plus technology. However there are few reviews about these on internet.
I watched this video for comparison among these and I am leaning towards Ultrasone. However before taking the plunge I wanted to know if there are anything else in my budget which is better than these. It would be helpful if someone, who has auditioned all these, can share their experience.[DOUBLEPOST=1540103009][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone?

Last edited:
Whatever you do, avoid the Ultrasone's. You will either find the S-Logic pretty good or hate it so much it will be borderline unlistenable. If you cant demo then, then don't buy them

I've listened to the Audio Technica M50 and although they sound good the clamping force on the head was too much. I could barely use them for half an hour at a stretch before i had to remove them and give my ears a rub because of the soreness.

If you like the M50x but cannot handle the discomfort, then buy either of these earpads :
1) Shure HPEAC840 Earpads - Very slight change in sound [Larger soundstage, slightly less bass] but significant improvement in comfort
2) Brainwavz HM5 Earpads (Not the Velour ones) - A slight change in sound (slightly more than the Shure's) but improves comfort by a lot

According to me audio technica is very good well balanced sound you are right sound stage is not best it is a common problem with all closed headphone easily drivable by mobile device or portable devices doesnt need amp

beyerdynamics is great they are comfortable but built quality is not that good

Check the senheiser HD598SE also they are better then audio technica in every aspect but they are open back so they are only suitable for home use they have great soundstage

I have been using ATH M50x for almost two years at work. I wear them everyday. its currently running on CEntrance.

• They are really good headphones for the price.
  • You dont really need a DAC. and also closed back. which makes them good headphones for traveling and using along with iphone and such.
  • Sound stage -- Its comparative. when you compare with 6XX its very bad. but comparable to 598.

My advice:
Buy them if you want multipurpose headset which you can use for home use as well as travel.

Try getting 6XX which is only 50 more if you can because it is superior in every sense (especially sound stage tight bass). but then its openback and needs a good amp like fulla schit.

Dont buy CEntrance products.

I have been using ATH M50x for almost two years at work. I wear them everyday. its currently running on CEntrance.

• They are really good headphones for the price.
  • You dont really need a DAC. and also closed back. which makes them good headphones for traveling and using along with iphone and such.
  • Sound stage -- Its comparative. when you compare with 6XX its very bad. but comparable to 598.

My advice:
Buy them if you want multipurpose headset which you can use for home use as well as travel.

Try getting 6XX which is only 50 more if you can because it is superior in every sense (especially sound stage tight bass). but then its openback and needs a good amp like fulla schit.

Dont buy CEntrance products.
I believe you are talking about Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones. Sadly I can't buy from US as none of my friends are coming to India from US recently. I do want to explore open back headphones too. Maybe next year :)

These are on my wish list:

Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX Planar Magnetic Headphones
Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Headphones
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones

But since these can't be used in public, I have settled for closed back for now.

Last edited:
Received the V-Moda crossfade LP2 and absolutely loving them. Bass is punchy and mids are clear. Sound stage is also great. The build quality is really great. I'm happy that I went for these.

Back