Storage Solutions Best HDD Type for Desktop Storage

What would you prefer as a storage drive on your Desktop

• Total voters

axis.meister

Disciple
Hi Friends,

I see that there are even more HDD types/variants in the market now.

WD:
Green
Blue
Black
Red
Purple

Seagate:
Barracuda/Constellation series ie. 7200rpm
NAS series
Hybrid Series

Then there are the Toshibas and HGSTs, which I am not much aware of. There are also the enterprise editions from both WD and Seagate that cost a bomb.

Usage scenario is pure storage on a Desktop machine, with boot from SSD. Would like to know what TE thinks about this. What HDD would you use/recommend.

I am not looking for a specific recommendation for myself, but I find it very confusing with the variants that are available now. I am sure there are many more like me, and maybe your suggestions here will guide them in their purchases.

Thanks,
aX

If you can allow multiple-select options then it will become more easy to answer as one single brand or variant isnt always the winner or viable option and we have to select or recommend at least two.

Anyone here using WD Green model WD30EZRX 3TB for storage purpose ? Is it reliable enough to go for or recommended ?

Have voted for WD blue and Seagate. Options are only ltd. to two choices else would have also voted for Toshiba & Hitachi if it was on that list.

I keep reading good things about WD Red. But Red drives are relatively newer released about 2 years back. So the data about failure rates wouldn't be that reliable IMHO. My WD green died on me just short of the 3 year mark, thankfully it had 3 year warranty then so could get it replaced.
There was this survey by a storage company that uses consumer grade HDDs and it showed that failure rate spikes after the 2 year usage mark. Will look for the link to the same once I get to my pc.

Anyone here using WD Green model WD30EZRX 3TB for storage purpose ? Is it reliable enough to go for or recommended ?

I have been using one for the past 6 months as a storage disk and it has been working fine so far. If you get this disk you may have to use the WDIDLE3.EXE utility from WD to set the idle power suitable to your requirement since otherwise the Load Cycle Count may go up too rapidly. Google WDIDLE3 for more info.

there is a white paper on HDD failure by google. moral was there is no conclusive data. HDD failures could be vaguely related to the fluctuations in operating temperature and their start stop count. so in order to prolong life, avoid to hot and cold environments and frequent start stops

none of my HDDs lasted for more then 2.5 years. total 5 hdds in last 7 years(seagate 7200/WD green). And due to my laziness never bothered to get them replaced. :p as for me data was more important then just recovering the cost.. So now only on SSDs(hope they don't disappoint me). And I keep the important file in SD card/pendrive as second backup. Have total 200GBs of SD cards/pen drives. :p Also since I have not much interest in heavy torrents, so that helps. Just download watch and delete after sometime.

WD Caviar Green 3TB (WD30EZRX) @ 6970/- upto 5th April with any Visa Debit Card at the FK App purchase and the drive also comes with FK Advantage badge.

Isn't a tempting deal ?

Seagate barracuda. I have 2x 2tb drives in my system. Got one less than a month ago for 5100 which comes to a little over 40 paise/GB along with a 7200 rpm speed makes it great value.
The WD blue drives were top on the list since it had the same 7200 rpm speed and their warranty service seems to be worth the extra money. however i couldn't find anything over 1tb. if you dont need the 7200 rpm performance and have a largish budget then a WD red series would get my vote.

The WD green drives are good but ONLY for secondary storage as the energy savings don't feel worth the loss in performance. I can't recall where (guru3d i think) but i did remember coming across a review of the green drives that showed the power savings are not really worth it unless electricity is REALLY expensive (norway, sweeden, etc).

Back