Banks override credit card PIN requirement

Have noticed this in more than one outlets. Tata Croma doesn't ask for PIN, they say its pre authorized.

I don't understand why do they ask for signature when the POS is code based. Or rather why do they ask for signature at all when they are not going to match it with the one on the back of the card.

OT
I had a ICICI credit card and when i used to shop at dmart and such, it would not ask for pin. But then I lost the card and got new one a week back.
Since then with new card, it asks me for pin# always in the same stores.

Have noticed this in more than one outlets. Tata Croma doesn't ask for PIN, they say its pre authorized.

I don't understand why do they ask for signature when the POS is code based. Or rather why do they ask for signature at all when they are not going to match it with the one on the back of the card.
Helps in case of disputes.

Normally, the chip based card when authorized on a chip based EDC, it will ask for PIN necessarily.
For backward compatibility, some chip based cards come with a magnetic strip also. When authorized by the magnetic strip, the card may or may not ask for pin depending on EDC.

Normally, the chip based card when authorized on a chip based EDC, it will ask for PIN necessarily.
For backward compatibility, some chip based cards come with a magnetic strip also. When authorized by the magnetic strip, the card may or may not ask for pin depending
on EDC.

I had ICICI chip (and strip also) credit card and it never asked for pin but I got a replacement card some time back which is also chip and strip but this asks for pin always.

@bigbyte , there are two variants.chip ones and chip plus pin ones. The ones without the pin engraved don't prompt for the pin
The main reason for the thread was to find out if any bank provides a card without pin these days. Most merchants have not even upgrade their machines to wireless.it's so annoying when a waiter at a restaurant comes asking for your pin at the table
As @raksrules pointed out,I think most banks are now offering the chip plus pin card on renewal

I prefer when it asks for the PIN. I don't mind going to the counters in the retsurants to key in the PIN.

One system I saw in one Reliance Digital shop - they ask for a Govt approved ID card (PAN, DL etc) when swipping the card for some higher value (say 5K+).

Looking for a govt approved ID card for high value transaction is not a requirement per norms but an extra step taken by shopkeepers to safeguard their transactions from future disputes. They keep a photocopy of your DL or PAN card

Back